Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by fandu
Does gold from Amex platinum counts towards the 5 yr for LT Gold? I tried searching but didn't get anything relevant.
I remember it doesn't as per previous discussions.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by fandu
Does gold from Amex platinum counts towards the 5 yr for LT Gold? I tried searching but didn't get anything relevant.
It does count for the counter of #years of being Gold.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Ah thanks for the verification.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by geclub1
Great. Thanks. I stopped flying for work and I am a year away from being LT gold.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, United, American, Delta, British Airways, Alaska Airlines, etc.
Regarding Lifetime Platinum, does anyone know the current policy regarding whether each of the ten Platinum years needed for Lifetime Platinum status have to be years in which one achieves either 25 stays or 50 nights stayed?

I ask because apparently when Starwood consolidated around eight ears ago one of my accounts into another (that was issued without me requesting it) they did not consolidate all the history from my first account. For about the last two weeks they have been "researching" whether I qualify for Platinum Lifetime, but given the number of errors they have made with my account over the past few years, I want to independently verify that their conclusion is correct should they tell me I am not yet qualified for Lifetime Platinum. Although I have close to 800 nights stayed, and have been Platinum for around ten or eleven years, it is possible that one or two years of Platinum were the result of either matching another chain's status, or an advertised promotion ("if you do such and such, we will give you platinum for a year"). I hope I'm not going to have to go back ten or eleven years and evaluate the manner in which I achieved Platinum in each year, but may have to do so if "promotional platinum years" do not count and Starwood informs me I am not yet qualified for lifetime Platinum.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by JayK
Regarding Lifetime Platinum, does anyone know the current policy regarding whether each of the ten Platinum years needed for Lifetime Platinum status have to be years in which one achieves either 25 stays or 50 nights stayed?
It doesn't make a difference whether its 50 nights or 25 stays. As long as you qualified for platinum for 10 years and you have 500 nights total, you will earn Lifetime Plat.

The 10 years of platinum don't have to be consecutive, and the 500 nights doesn't have to be reached as plat.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, United, American, Delta, British Airways, Alaska Airlines, etc.
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It doesn't make a difference whether its 50 nights or 25 stays. As long as you qualified for platinum for 10 years and you have 500 nights total, you will earn Lifetime Plat.

The 10 years of platinum don't have to be consecutive, and the 500 nights doesn't have to be reached as plat.
My question though is what constitutes qualification for Platinum for purposes of Lifetime Platinum? Does it have to be earned via stays or nights? Or can it be achieved using another method? For example, does spending a year as Platinum as the result of a status match count as "achieving Platinum" for purposes of fulfilling the ten years of Platinum requirement?

The question is analogous to, but broader than, the earlier one here about whether being Gold owing through the AMEX card rather than through number of stays or nights counts towards the requirement for Lifetime Gold.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:20 am

My question though is what constitutes qualification for Platinum for purposes of Lifetime Platinum? Does it have to be earned via stays or nights?
You need to be Platinum for 10 years and you need 500 nights.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
You need to be Platinum for 10 years and you need 500 nights.
So are you saying that a Platinum year that was obtained through a status match counts as a year towards the ten-year requirement? And if that is what you are saying could you please provide the source of your information as the SPG website says (to the best of my recollection) you need to "achieve" Platinum status ten years, without specifying whether getting Platinum status through a status match (or some other method apart from 50 nights or 25 stays) constitutes "achieving" that status?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
So are you saying that a Platinum year that was obtained through a status match counts as a year towards the ten-year requirement? And if that is what you are saying could you please provide the source of your information as the SPG website says (to the best of my recollection) you need to "achieve" Platinum status ten years, without specifying whether getting Platinum status through a status match (or some other method apart from 50 nights or 25 stays) constitutes "achieving" that status?
The way I see it, is that you are achieving platinum by doing a status match.

Here's a link that can help.

http://starwoodworldwide.custhelp.co...inum-status%3F
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I ask because apparently when Starwood consolidated around eight ears ago one of my accounts into another (that was issued without me requesting it) they did not consolidate all the history from my first account. For about the last two weeks they have been "researching" whether I qualify for Platinum Lifetime, but given the number of errors they have made with my account over the past few years, I want to independently verify that their conclusion is correct should they tell me I am not yet qualified for Lifetime Platinum. Although I have close to 800 nights stayed, and have been Platinum for around ten or eleven years, it is possible that one or two years of Platinum were the result of either matching another chain's status, or an advertised promotion ("if you do such and such, we will give you platinum for a year"). I hope I'm not going to have to go back ten or eleven years and evaluate the manner in which I achieved Platinum in each year, but may have to do so if "promotional platinum years" do not count and Starwood informs me I am not yet qualified for lifetime Platinum.
Why would you bother independently verifying it until you learn their finding? If they determine you are LT, then that's that.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by JackE
Why would you bother independently verifying it until you learn their finding? If they determine you are LT, then that's that.
Yep, if they come back with the conclusion I am not qualified yet for lifetime Platinum status, I will then want to independently verify whether they are correct because I have had numerous instances where the Starwood reps got things all wrong (the latest concerned their assignment of wrong expiration dates to Platinum suite upgrades that were returned to my account after being rejected by a Starwood property. It took FOUR emails, and three "we are right and you are wrong" emails from them before a rep finally admitted they were wrong and corrected the expiration dates). So based on my extensive experience with SPG, I always prepare myself for their mistakes, and in the majority of the cases the preparation turns out not to have been wasted.

I trust though you don't know the answer to my straightforward question about whether Platinum status that results from status matches or other promotions count towards the ten years of Platinum status needed for lifetime. Oh well.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UAL - Premier, SPG - Plat
Lifetime Plat

I've been trying to find a link to this topic but I didn't seem to find one -- so here it goes

What do you think will happen to the Lifetime Plat status if Starwood get sold (there's an article in WSJ about them actively looking for buyer).
I'm 6 year Plat and just need another 4 years of Plat. Will be very upset if the new owner didn't recognize my 6 years of pains
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
My question though is what constitutes qualification for Platinum for purposes of Lifetime Platinum? Does it have to be earned via stays or nights?
Yes, it has to be earned through nights/stays. I was upgraded to Gold after a multiyear hiatus from SPG - it was my fifth year as Gold. I wasn't awarded LT Gold until I met the Gold stay/night requirement later that year.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Here again, just because the website shows rooms available for sale does not mean they are available to occupy let alone available for an upgrade (and nothing online shows what is in the upgrade pool). Just like airlines, hotels have crunched the numbers and determined there will likely be a number of no shows so they can offer x+ rooms without much risk of walking someone. Plus, the database used by the website may not be updated with the latest information and may not try to confirm the actual room availability until you go to confirm the booking (again similar to how the airlines work).

I really wish there was more transparency in the process. But at some point you have to go with your gut feel. Does it seem like the property is full? Is the parking lot full? How about the restaurant/bar? Maybe the pool? Even these may be misleading. Building a relationship with the property will increase your likelihood of an upgrade during tight operations.

Bottom line, the web is only one of many parts to this puzzle.
SPG has a pretty good inventory tracker. Many times I cancel a room to change the dates on a sold out night or prevent back-to-backs and room changes. SPG booking will only search open; even with reservation changes---so one has to CANCEL existing, and then quickly rebook the room with the extended days. The inventory releases and updates that fast.

Just did it last week at Universal City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.