Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's not a perfect world. But if they have one room available and two guests to upgrade (and no other preference criteria) I would suspect the LTP to win. This is unless I am the other guest of course!

SPG has segmented status with LTP, Plat, Plat50, Plat75, Plat100. And let's not forget the property bias towards their loyal guests regardless of their status.
Right and then there is the human layer. At a few select stays, the front desk has been impressed with my heavy metal card and given me an extra level upgrade. You can never count on that happening, but it does happen from time to time.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I just want to see the damn card! And it would be nice to SEE if they treat me any differently at Westin Lagunamar. I stay there several times a year but it's so huge that they don't often remember me when I check in. The bellboys remember me, the pool waiters remember me, even the man who calls BINGO by the pool remembers me! But at the desk, never. I was just there in April and on average every 3 months. The new LT Plat card MIGHT jog the memory of the people at the front desk. Then again, maybe not.

But it'd be nice to SEE it online, at least. It's been 10 days since I checked out of the qualifying stay hotel. The lady at SPG who fixed my reservation for CUN said 7-10 days BUT they were getting a lot of LTs all of a sudden so they "could be backed up." I'll check online tomorrow and see if they caught it, but I've been counting nights for the past 6 months to get this card- I'd love to see it.

AND I want to know if it does or doesn't make a difference. I would hope it would qualify me above a regular Plat, but seeing as I don't have to stay at Starwood much anymore to keep it (I think once a year? But it's at their discretion) I wonder if it'll be the opposite. They see someone has already made LT Plat so they work on people who HAVE to stay to re-qualify each year? Or, they realize how much $ was spent on all those nights and making Plat every year in a row for 10 years plus. I'm not sure- but I look forward to finding out. If anything, it sounds like I'll have a nice new card for my wallet.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by thaliajen
AND I want to know if it does or doesn't make a difference. I would hope it would qualify me above a regular Plat, but seeing as I don't have to stay at Starwood much anymore to keep it (I think once a year? But it's at their discretion) I wonder if it'll be the opposite. They see someone has already made LT Plat so they work on people who HAVE to stay to re-qualify each year? Or, they realize how much $ was spent on all those nights and making Plat every year in a row for 10 years plus. I'm not sure- but I look forward to finding out. If anything, it sounds like I'll have a nice new card for my wallet.
I was always under the impression it was more like 25 stays plat, no sna's or the other options, no your 24 or ambassador, normal 3 points, internet, breakfast and upgrades as per 25 stay plat. Sorry you do get that fancy card!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I didn't expect anything new other than to possibly get to the top of the line for upgrades, but I'm not complaining. And it DID show up on my SPG page today and I got an email congratulating me. So I'll take that shiny new card when it comes and be happy, LOL!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:28 pm

I personally feel that LT status in any program should not trump and status of equal tier who is current.

In my own view the status chart (e.g. for upgrades) could be like this

> Current Plat 100 + LT Plat
> Current Plat 100
> Current Plat 75 + LT Plat
> Current Plat 75
> Current Plat + LT Plat
> Current Plat
> LT Plat
> Current Gold + LT Gold
> Current Gold
> LT Gold
> Preferred Plus
> Preferred
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by PayItForward
I personally feel that LT status in any program should not trump and status of equal tier who is current.

> Current Plat 100
> Current Plat 75
> Current Plat + LT Plat
> Current Plat
> LT Plat
> Current Gold + LT Gold
> Current Gold
> LT Gold
> Preferred Plus
> Preferred
Or it should be how it should be. Upon check-in between all platinum members.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:35 pm

I would think that most people who do 75/100 nights a year are pretty close to LT Plat. If it means nothing other than you only have to stay occasionally to keep your status, there's nothing to entice me to return. Luckily, I've always had a great UG record, but I'd like to think that 15 years of Elite Status and 12 of Platinum would mean a bit more. But then again, I'm delusional.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

> Current Plat 100
> Current Plat 75
> Current Plat + LT Plat
> Current Plat
> LT Plat
> Current Gold + LT Gold
> Current Gold
> LT Gold
> Preferred Plus
> Preferred
That's nice, but that's not SPG's T&C. It states (for Plats):
•An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite.

In short, if a LT Plat checks in and the hotel has upgrades - including a Standard Suite - available, he gets it. If a Current Plat 100+LT Plat shows up 5 seconds later, he'll get the best available room. If the LT Plat already took the last suite, the Plat 100's not getting a suite.

A hotel may choose to preblock an upgraded room for the Plat 100 but that's a different subject - one where your (what's best for PayItForward) chart would be applicable. However, my experience has been that I've usually been preassigned the exact room I booked and I have to ask for an upgrade (unless I've already used an SNA). But I'm a lowly Plat 50 + LT Gold; I didn't even make your theoretical upgrade list.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:52 am

> Current Plat 100
> Current Plat 75
> Current Plat + LT Plat
> Current Plat
> LT Plat
> Current Gold + LT Gold
> Current Gold
> LT Gold
> Preferred Plus
> Preferred
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
But I'm a lowly Plat 50 + LT Gold; I didn't even make your theoretical upgrade list.
Not true. In my opinion, your Current Plat status (should) place you above LT Plat. Again and only in my opinion, your LT Gold status should be considered though if there are two Current Plat members fighting for an upgrade. But you are right, this only works if the rooms were pre-assigned on the day of arrival but a lot of times, I only get check-in upgrades rather than advance upgrades. I do get those but they are not often.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, as the T&Cs read status upgrades are supposed to be based upon availability at check-in. So only if two POS (people of status) are at the desk at the same time and only one upgrade available, should a tie-breaker be needed. Under normal situations (one at a time) even a newly minted Gold could get upgraded if they arrive before a Plat.

Reality is many properties pre-block. Many techniques can be used to prioritize how the upgrades are dished out. Time of booking, position on bookings list, value to property, status, distance from the property. It's been said SPG provides a suggested list as well. We will always have our own ideas how such things should be handled and probably biased by what would put us closer to the top. No amount of transparency is going to satisfy everyone. For my own sanity's sake, I book what I am willing to accept. I ask during the check-in process if any update is available. If I feel the property is lying to me, I look for other properties when back in the same area.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
FYI...

It took only 2 days after my last stay posted to get the Lifetime Platinum email and for the site to reflect the LT Plat designation.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
Right and then there is the human layer. At a few select stays, the front desk has been impressed with my heavy metal card and given me an extra level upgrade. You can never count on that happening, but it does happen from time to time.
What was the reason to present the card in the first place?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
It looks and sounds cool when you toss it on the counter :P
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JackE
Well the reason is to get a better upgrade. But I only do it at higher end international properties. I don't think it would help at all at most US properties or at a 4P. I can tell you it worked very well at the W Barcelona for instance.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:41 pm

I can't even find a thread here for those who've qualified for Lifetime Plat. I see the re-qualification for annual Platinum, but am I missing something? Maybe it really isn't considered a very big deal?

Personally, I was and am curious as to how many people here have hit Lifetime Plat status. My search yielded nothing but this thread. Does FT have a Lifetime Plat or Lifetime Gold status thread?

On the other matter, I'm guessing that I'm not really much better off than I was as a regular Plat/Lifetime Gold member. No SNAs or gifts? Considering many of my nights didn't qualify before 2007 (I was a fan of cash & points and 50/50 with an entire European trip staying on points) plus I didn't even JOIN SPG until 2003, I'm looking at approximately 6-650 nights at Starwood hotels since the late 90's. I shudder to think of all the points I didn't collect. That's a lot of $ and loyalty. I appreciate the shiny card I'll be getting, but maybe ONE perk would be nice.

Oh well, at least I can say I truly favor Starwood over any other!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.