Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Does FT have a Lifetime Plat or Lifetime Gold status thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...roll-call.html
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by JackE
What was the reason to present the card in the first place?
My experience? The below is anecdotal and only based upon my experiences in the U.S., but I think they provide a bit of food for thought.

I tend to stay at properties for awhile, often many weeks or even months, so I tend to get to know the staff pretty well, especially the front desk agents. I make a point of getting to know them and tend to stop each day and chat on my way out and back into the hotel every day. These people are, in reality, the people with most of the "front line" power in the hotel. And we sure do chat about guests' behavior, as it's often amusing, if not sometimes shocking.

In the "main screen" that the FDAs use most, there is only an indication of a guest's "functional" status, e.g. VIP, Plat, Gold, Member or None and a few rarer others. Only in a less-used, "secondary" screen does it indicate LTP or LTG. So the reality is that they usually have no idea.

As far as announcing your status, either verbally or by displaying your card, to the FDA, unless you manage do this without conveying a sense of entitlement it comes across as DYKWIA. People hate DYKWIAs, especially FDAs. I have witnessed on multiple occasions people trotting in and making a big deal about their status and aggressively demanding upgrades and other special treatment. And as is usually the case with people like this, the FDAs will grant the minimum possible deference (including nothing at all) just to get the person out of their face.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by spcran4d
...As far as announcing your status, either verbally or by displaying your card, to the FDA, unless you manage do this without conveying a sense of entitlement it comes across as DYKWIA. People hate DYKWIAs, especially FDAs. I have witnessed on multiple occasions people trotting in and making a big deal about their status and aggressively demanding upgrades and other special treatment. And as is usually the case with people like this, the FDAs will grant the minimum possible deference (including nothing at all) just to get the person out of their face.
I am more of the honey type than vinegar, but unfortunately it seems this tactic is more common than not for any interaction. I do try to have a friendly chat with the agents (being in-person or on the phone). I've seen way too many DYKWIA situations that made me feel sorry for the agent. Too many people believe what they see on the web is gospel and can't comprehend that there can be a delay in updating the front-end systems so what they saw no longer exists. Unfortunately when the agent gives in and gives an upgrade that is possibly taking it away from someone else.

If we can do away with the agents that make up rules to get rid of customers, I'd support moves to "fire the customer". But unfortunately both sides have a fair number of "bad apples" and we have what we have.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:39 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Agree with RogerD408 above. I agree that 90% of the FDAs just grant the minimum possible deference. I usually never ask for an upgrade, or late checkout. Infact, if I could skip stopping at the front desk altogether, I would just do that.

Neverthless, when travelling with family which is 1 out of 5 or 6 times, I will often ask to see if an upgrade is available if not automatically upgraded. Almost always will the FDA say - oh we are sold out. Then I check in on spg.com and see that atleast 4 standard suites are available to sell. I will let it go, but my respect for the FDA and for the hotel goes down the toilet.

I feel that the unspoken truth in the hotel industry is to be able to lie with a poker face about upgrades or special concessions, and then cover up when exposed. Esp, if the guest isnt a regular. That's shameful.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Agree with RogerD408 above. I agree that 90% of the FDAs just grant the minimum possible deference. I usually never ask for an upgrade, or late checkout. Infact, if I could skip stopping at the front desk altogether, I would just do that.

Neverthless, when travelling with family which is 1 out of 5 or 6 times, I will often ask to see if an upgrade is available if not automatically upgraded. Almost always will the FDA say - oh we are sold out. Then I check in on spg.com and see that atleast 4 standard suites are available to sell. I will let it go, but my respect for the FDA and for the hotel goes down the toilet.

I feel that the unspoken truth in the hotel industry is to be able to lie with a poker face about upgrades or special concessions, and then cover up when exposed. Esp, if the guest isnt a regular. That's shameful.
Here again, just because the website shows rooms available for sale does not mean they are available to occupy let alone available for an upgrade (and nothing online shows what is in the upgrade pool). Just like airlines, hotels have crunched the numbers and determined there will likely be a number of no shows so they can offer x+ rooms without much risk of walking someone. Plus, the database used by the website may not be updated with the latest information and may not try to confirm the actual room availability until you go to confirm the booking (again similar to how the airlines work).

I really wish there was more transparency in the process. But at some point you have to go with your gut feel. Does it seem like the property is full? Is the parking lot full? How about the restaurant/bar? Maybe the pool? Even these may be misleading. Building a relationship with the property will increase your likelihood of an upgrade during tight operations.

Bottom line, the web is only one of many parts to this puzzle.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
10.Do I get any additional benefits for being an SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum member?

As an SPG Lifetime member, you will receive the same benefits and amenities that are provided to SPG members of that specific elite tier at that particular time. On occasion, Starwood may provide special offers or recognition gifts to SPG Lifetime members at its sole discretion. SPG member benefits and amenities may change from time to time.

11.If I’m an SPG Lifetime Platinum Preferred Guest member, will I automatically receive all the benefits that come with meeting certain SPG eligible night thresholds (e.g., Suite Night Awards, four Starpoints per eligible U.S. dollar)?

SPG Lifetime Platinum members will receive the basic Platinum-level benefits. Currently, those benefits include the option to earn additional awards by staying a particular number of eligible nights; therefore, you must meet the same eligible-night requirements to obtain those benefits.
Tried to look through the posts here and couldn't find the answer. So does Gold get all the benefits including the additional point (3 starpoints)? But for platinum, we still need to hit platinum status every year to get the two additional points? Lifetime platinum just says basic benefits but didn't mention the details on what's basic. I guess they're referring to the suite upgrades that you need to requalify for every year. How about the two additional points?

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gk17
Tried to look through the posts here and couldn't find the answer. So does Gold get all the benefits including the additional point (3 starpoints)? But for platinum, we still need to hit platinum status every year to get the two additional points? Lifetime platinum just says basic benefits but didn't mention the details on what's basic. I guess they're referring to the suite upgrades that you need to requalify for every year. How about the two additional points?

Thanks.
As a lifetime member, you get all the basic benefits of being plat (3 points/plat gift/etc). You need to hit 50 nights for the SNAs and 75 nights for the 4 points/$.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
On occasion, Starwood may provide special offers or recognition gifts to SPG Lifetime members at its sole discretion.
Out of curiosity, has this ever happened (other than the initial metal card kit)?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Out of curiosity, has this ever happened (other than the initial metal card kit)?
This is my third year as LTG; nothing special's ever been offered to me. I've also qualed as Plat all of those years.
Since you're asking the question, I'm guessing that you've never been offered anything special either.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Read this thread.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
This is my third year as LTG; nothing special's ever been offered to me. I've also qualed as Plat all of those years.
Since you're asking the question, I'm guessing that you've never been offered anything special either.
I am LTG for two years and PLT for each of those years. I have no expectations that my LTG will get me anything extra while I am PLT. I am working on LTP... need another 4 or 5 years given my job ... my number of stays per year is unlikely to increase.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I'm curious if anyone did receive extra gifts.

I haven't gotten anything other than the package with the metal card.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm curious if anyone did receive extra gifts.

I haven't gotten anything other than the package with the metal card.
I got a nice piece of art for my wall when I reached 1500 nights. It has the dates when I: became an SPG member, earned Platinum the first time, became an LTP, became "Ambassador", and the date of my 1500th night.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I've been LT Gold since the LT Status began and always annual Plat, but nothing special for that. Now as a LT Plat I'm still awaiting my card. It would seem more like a special status if we got SOMETHING extra, such as the old days of getting half off stays on points at any hotel. That used to be a re-qualification/Xmas gift type thing and I loved it. Or even a one time gift of SNAs would be nice. At this point the specials seem to go to Plat 50, 75 & 100 over LT Plat. I'm curious as to what status we hold in upgrades. Is a LT Plat higher than a Plat 100?

Oh well, at least I'll be getting the card- someday.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Does gold from Amex platinum counts towards the 5 yr for LT Gold? I tried searching but didn't get anything relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.