Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
I appreciate the angst in this thread regarding LTPP versus LTP. I appreciate if someone can help me with my slightly less-important question.

Does anyone know a way to find out your history of status with Marriott? I have 8 years PLAT with SPG - each year I work hard to make sure I get to PLAT by often picking an SPG stay even though not most convenient. What I believe is if I have 2 years of Marriott PLAT and 600 total nights across the two historically, then on Aug 1 I will map to Lifetime Plat. I can see the night counts online for both Marriott & SPG, but since SPG is primary I really have no idea what status I've had over the years with Marriott.

How do I find that out? Thank you!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:21 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPRich
If you meet the qualification for Marriott LT PLT under the old rules by 12/31, you will earn LTPP. I don't think there's confusion there, and I don't see what it's a solution to.

The problem is highlighted in the post below yours. Will they be able to calculate Lifetime Marriott points for Starwood members?

It is easy enough to say we must have 750+ nights, but what about the spend under current Marriott rules?

I only have 200000 Lifetime Marriott points but if you take my lifetime Starwood points and multiply by 3 I probably have 20 Million!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
And it is a little quirk ... but would 2 years of Marriott Elite Gold combine with 8 years SPG Platinum to make 10 years of Platinum Elite combined? Since MR Elite Gold Maps to the new MR Elite Platinum, that would make sense but ... ?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Yes, I suppose I'm just under the threshold for being monumentally upset by the unfair treatment of the SPG side for my own account, though I'm sufficiently outraged that the link to the new lifetime tiers does not include all of the information. I would further the outrage by stating that Marriott has far more budget hotels than does SPG, so a night isn't just a night when looking at both programs.

SPG: I'm at 13 years platinum, 4+MM points (converted to MR), and 615 nights (early in my Plat years, I did it all through stays). I don't know how many Marriott nights I have, but it's probably around 100 or so.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....even if i don't spend a single night at spg/marriott, as lifetime plat with spg i'm guaranteed benefits that come with spending 50 nights (minus the suite nights)....i would have gone for 75 nights if it came with the your24 benefit or even for 100 nights if the spend requirement was not there but now i don't see much benefit coming from hitting either one of those targets....i never thought i would be saying this but hilton is going to start getting the majority (if not all) of my business now....
I am in the same boat. I do not see much reasons of getting to even PLT75 level now. The summer double point promo from Hilton looks very attractive now and I can still require based nights.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by EC Traveler
I appreciate the angst in this thread regarding LTPP versus LTP. I appreciate if someone can help me with my slightly less-important question.

Does anyone know a way to find out your history of status with Marriott? I have 8 years PLAT with SPG - each year I work hard to make sure I get to PLAT by often picking an SPG stay even though not most convenient. What I believe is if I have 2 years of Marriott PLAT and 600 total nights across the two historically, then on Aug 1 I will map to Lifetime Plat. I can see the night counts online for both Marriott & SPG, but since SPG is primary I really have no idea what status I've had over the years with Marriott.

How do I find that out? Thank you!
I tried to find out today.

2 minutes to get an answer from SPG.

30 minutes to get incorrect info from MR. They could not tell me my status before 2015.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:17 pm

Count me as another SPG LTP irritated by this decision to block legacy SPG members from being grandfathered as LTPPE. If the criteria were set out and I do not meet them, I could live with that but not even creating an opportunity for some SPG members leaves a bad taste.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The mapping of SPG LTP to LT Plat Elite and MR LTP to LT Plat Premier Elite is very clear. What is not clear is whether they will combine the SPG and MR lifetime nights and points on July 31 and then on Aug. 1 promote SPG LTP to MR LTP if the combined accounts have over 750 nights and 2MM MR points for the purpose of grandfathering to LT Plat Premier Elite.

It is also not clear if the new program has a way for members to achieve LT Plat Premier Elite after the original launch and MR LTP are grandfathered, since the requirements are not stated.

I have 635 LT SPG nights, and 339 LT MR nights and 987K LT MR points, but I don't know what's my LT SPG points. I called Plat line and had to explain a couple times before the rep finally understood exactly what I needed, so I expect to receive an email on my LT SPG points in a week.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Only 3 Years to Go to Lifetime Platinum, ummm?

Delete

Last edited by rgrunnah; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by CIT85
The mapping of SPG LTP to LT Plat Elite and MR LTP to LT Plat Premier Elite is very clear. What is not clear is whether they will combine the SPG and MR lifetime nights and points on July 31 and then on Aug. 1 promote SPG LTP to MR LTP if the combined accounts have over 750 nights and 2MM MR points for the purpose of grandfathering to LT Plat Premier Elite.
Unfortunately, it seems very clear to me. The combined balances August 1st will only count towards the new program and not anything legacy. There is no path at all for SPG members to get to Lifetime Plat Premier Elite no matter how loyal they have been even if they have met the same requirements as Marriott members (or more). Additionally, even Marriott members cannot use any any SPG stays to get to LT Plat Premier Elite, it is legacy Marriott only. Fairfield Inn stays count more than St. Regis stays. Totally and completely unfair and a big middle finger to all SPG members and properties.

Last edited by sfosyd; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:07 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this has been answered, so I apologize if it has...In August, when they merge our accounts, if we then quality for MR lifetime status based on combined nights and points, will we get MR Lifetime status and then at the end of the year the equivalent new program lifetime status? For example, I'm LT SPG Gold with no LT status in MR. However, my combined nights will put me over 500, and with 800,000 current SPG points, at a 3:1 transfer rate, I'll have well over 1.6 million points in MR. Will I then get LT MR Gold, which translates at the end of 2018 to LT Platinum Elite in the new program?

Thank you for your input.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfosyd
Unfortunately, it seems very clear to me. The combined balances August 1st will only count towards the new program and not anything legacy. There is no path at all for SPG members to get to Lifetime Plat Premier Elite no matter how loyal they have been even if they have met the same requirements as Marriott members (or more). Additionally, even Marriott members cannot use any any SPG stays to get to LT Plat Premier Elite, it is legacy Marriott only. Fairfield Inn stays count more than St. Regis stays. Totally and completely unfair and a big middle finger to all SPG members and properties.
This sounds like the LTSCC Program - Lifetime Second Class Citizen.

When the merger was announced, I pulled back on Starwood stays - from 90 nights to maybe 15 or 20 - waiting to see where things would settle. As a Lifetime Platinum with about 1,100 nights, well, I needn't say more.

It would be a real shame if the Lurker program (and the people involved) are not preserved. SPG really stood out in my mind for this.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyAAlot
I'm not sure if this has been answered, so I apologize if it has...In August, when they merge our accounts, if we then quality for MR lifetime status based on combined nights and points, will we get MR Lifetime status and then at the end of the year the equivalent new program lifetime status? For example, I'm LT SPG Gold with no LT status in MR. However, my combined nights will put me over 500, and with 800,000 current SPG points, at a 3:1 transfer rate, I'll have well over 1.6 million points in MR. Will I then get LT MR Gold, which translates at the end of 2018 to LT Platinum Elite in the new program?
The way I read the details, yes, you will then be LT Plat Elite in the new program once the 2 programs are combined.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by CIT85
The way I read the details, yes, you will then be LT Plat Elite in the new program once the 2 programs are combined.
If this is the case, which I don't think it is, it means that some SPG Plats will have a path to lifetime PP because their SPG nights and points would transfer to legacy Marriott allowing them to be grandfathered in through the legacy platinum requirements. According to the web site, Lifetime SPG Gold equals Lifetime Gold in the new program not lifetime Marriott Gold which equals lifetime Plat. I believe that in the case you describe above, you will be lifetime Gold in the new program and not lifetime Plat.

You would then have to meet the requirements for Lifetime Plat under the new program which is 10 years of being Platinum and 750 nights. If at any year you reached platinum during your SPG years those years would count toward the 10 and of course your 500 nights would count towards the 750. Points do not matter at all.

Can someone clarify?

Last edited by sfosyd; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by sfosyd
If this is the case, which I don't think it is, it means that some SPG Plats will have a path to lifetime PP because their SPG nights and points would transfer to legacy Marriott allowing them to be grandfathered in through the legacy platinum requirements. According to the web site, Lifetime SPG Gold equals Lifetime Gold in the new program not lifetime Marriott Gold which equals lifetime Plat.

I believe that in the case you describe above, you will be lifetime Gold in the new program and not lifetime Plat.

Can someone clarify?
I find it incredible that there's been no statement or clarification from Marriott or SPG on this topic yet, despite such intense speculation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.