Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Looks like the new program starts 1/1/19 .So, 8+ months to achieve status under the new rules.

Under the new merged program, lifetime Plat goes from 500-600 nights, but includes combines Starwood and Marriott Lifetime nights .

For me, I have 460+ lifetime SPG night and 90+ lifetime Marriott nights, so if I fast forwarded some nights to get to 500, ok, but if I spill over until next year, the penalty in my case is a combined 7 additional nights -- probably $1000 penalty... but to do 20-30 additional nights this year will probably create $3000+/- extra expense, so probably not worth going for Lifetime Platinum this year.

Last edited by nologic; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I think what is most surprising for me is how LTP folks are reacting to this news.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by RFLP
I will have the requirements for LT Gold by the end of July, of this year-will I be grand fathered in or I have to satisfy the new requirements!
It appears that you have until December 31 (certainly at least until August 1) to meet the criteria of either the current individual programs.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I have 606 SPG Nights and 479 Marriott which is 1085 total. Marriott Points are 1.118 Million and according to a SPG Master Spreadsheet I received in Aug 2016, I have over 1.1 Million SPG points (=3.3 Million Marriott Points). I have 9 years SPG Platinum and 3 years Marriott Platinum. I plan on at least another 30 nights this year (to get platinum again) with SPG plus some Marriott nights.

WIll I get the lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status?
What LT status do you have now? It looks like you're short years on SPG PLT and points on any MR LT. SPG LT Gold will match to new LT Gold.

But your combined earnings in the 2 programs will qualify your for LT Platinum under the new program, effective n August.

Getting your 10th year of PLT with SPG will earn you LT PLT with SPG, and the nice welcome packet and metal card, but won't improve your status under the combined program. SPG LT PLT goes to new LT PLT.

There may eventually be a match of some SPG to LTPPE, given the reactions here, but I'm pretty sure it would be at 750 SPG-only nights or higher, which is the current MR LT PLT requirement.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
On second thought, it seems like the major differences between Platinum and Platinum Elite are:
  • 25% more bonus points.
  • 48h room guarantee.
  • And presumably slightly higher priority for room and suite upgrades.
None of those are particularly important to me. I wouldn't spend any extra time and/or money for those.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
How are LTP folks reacting?

Everyone knows the programs would merge. Spg has give 8 months notice: ok, a year would have been better .

The new rules allows for ppl to achieve LTP by combining 600 nights...well, that will increase the LTPs vs 500 alone, but if the concern is competition for platinum upgrades, this shouldn't be a bigger deal as we already have a merged program w 2x the Plate and 2x the hotels, give or take .
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
On second thought, it seems like the major differences between Platinum and Platinum Elite are:
  • 25% more bonus points.
  • 48h room guarantee.
  • And presumably slightly higher priority for room and suite upgrades.
None of those are particularly important to me. I wouldn't spend any extra time and/or money for those.
Higher priority for room and suite upgrades is a big difference, although I haven't heard this is a direct benefit benefit of spg plst elite vs plat regular.

Uber plays, whether elites or otherwise, should get some benefit.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, WOH, HH, IHG
As a 7-soon-to-be-8 years SPG plat, I'm seriously thinking about 66x meeting run + 8x point transfer as I'm 653 nights / 0.37mil point short from MR LTP(soon-to-be LTPP) requirement. I called nearby Marriott branded hotels, but not good so far (asking $500 or $1,000 per meeting or don't have a clue what rewarding event is).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Nice to know Marriott gives the same status to SPG LT Plats as what they comp to UA 1Ks.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Based on the details in this link, it does indeed seem that there is no path to LTPPE as a SPG LT PLT:

https://members.marriott.com/spg/

11 year PLT and 830 nights for me, so definitely disappointing...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by epiahtles
As a 7-soon-to-be-8 years SPG plat, I'm seriously thinking about 66x meeting run + 8x point transfer as I'm 653 nights / 0.37mil point short from MR LTP(soon-to-be LTPP) requirement. I called nearby Marriott branded hotels, but not good so far (asking $500 or $1,000 per meeting or don't have a clue what rewarding event is).
​​​​​​What is true minimum dinner event or meeting I can plan that would result in the equivalent of spg 20-30 nights?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
FYI, the master thread sticky discusses (mostly) the topic of this thread.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Nice to know Marriott gives the same status to SPG LT Plats as what they comp to UA 1Ks.
I’m sure that they will continue to give Gold and the new gold isn’t nearly as beneficial as the new Platinum.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, WOH, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by nologic
​​​​​​What is true minimum dinner event or meeting I can plan that would result in the equivalent of spg 20-30 nights?
I've never done it so I don't know anything. But from what I've heard, 1-4 hrs meeting without any added service which you can get for $50-100 in some places can results in 10 elite qualifying nights (and from what I've heard, it's either 0 or 10 EQN per meeting).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by dshafiee
William: Can we get an official statement on this. Marriott did say they would combine status and nights and August. Does that mean they will take in to account current SPG LT Plat member's who have greater then 750 nights and make them the new LT Plat Prem level?

Thanks.
+1 I also want to know about this. Grandfathering one set of LTPs at Marriott but not SPG LTPs with at least the same statistics is blatantly unfair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.