Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 pm

+1 for moving away from MR if this is how they are going to treat their most loyal SPG customers. I'm 9 years Plat with 731 nights. I should reach 750 nights this year. However, the point isn't about a specific number, in my mind, it's about treating SPG Lifetime Platinum customers on parity with lifetime MR Plat customers. What Marriott is doing is making us feel like second class citizens, and I have a hunch that many folks will just take their business elsewhere.

If I were Hilton or Hyatt, I'd simply put out some kind of a program to try and convince the SPG Plats to take their business to them.
innerspace and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
One way of addressing the LT MR vs. LT SPG issue that has become evident on this board is to create a LT match program that will run for the remainder of the year (or to 1 AUG) and then shut down i.e you could match your LT SPG against the LT MR, i.e. you would need to be able to get your total point accumulation from your SPG account and if your point total is above 2M/3 and 750 + nights you would be matched to LT MR PLT and so forth ...

In this scenario you cannot use your combined nights or points, however it will show an effort to value past loyalty towards MR and past loyalty towards SPG in a similar way. As of now that is evidently not the case. What I am not sure of is if the SPG point balance is available for all accounts, in addition this idea i so glaring obvious that I would be surprised if that has not been thought of by MR management already and been discarded for business reasons, limitations in the IT structure or any other reason I cant think of.

Anyway it would shut up most people that claim that "MR is not valuing my past loyalty to SPG" ...

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CPRich
I think those who have been around enough should be fairly confident, as I am, that William is making the reactions/feedback here visible to those who need to see it. That doesn't mean it will change, but it won't be because they don't know.

(but I'm guessing something will change)
i agree....hopefully william will be able to get our comments & suggestions to the right people who in turn should do the right thing by keeping us on par with marriott lifetime plats....at the end of the day i don't think there will be more than a few hundred of us who are in this position & doing a little extra for us would only benefit marriott in the long run....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by zeemerb
What Marriott is doing is making us feel like second class citizens, and I have a hunch that many folks will just take their business elsewhere.

If I were Hilton or Hyatt, I'd simply put out some kind of a program to try and convince the SPG Plats to take their business to them.
similar to what ihg did a few years ago when hilton severely devalued their program....i think they ran something like a 'biggest loser' promo where they gave you a certain percentage of the points you were losing with hilton....it convinced me & many others to shift a certain amount of business away from hilton & towards them....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JB123

i understand and why this is unfair, but is there a way to earn LTPP in the new program if you are either a grandfathered LTP or earn LTP after 1/1/19?
Noooooo this has been said many times now
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Keyser
similar to what ihg did a few years ago when hilton severely devalued their program....i think they ran something like a 'biggest loser' promo where they gave you a certain percentage of the points you were losing with hilton....it convinced me & many others to shift a certain amount of business away from hilton & towards them....
I am not keen on some of the changes to SPG/MR (especially the Lifetime Elite and Premier issue) BUT we saw where that got us with IHG and I would hope HH does not do this. IHG has become the worst program out there and HH already has it's own issues. I personally think HH could get some of us to move more business over to them IF they actually had decent Diamond benefits. Currently they mirror the "old" Marriott Rewards structure were Gold is almost as good as Diamond. If HH introduced suite upgrades and confirmed upgrades for a certain number of nights there would be a lot of us that would seriously consider a move. I wouldn't move for some points which essentially will be devalued anyway based on HH track record.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by zeemerb
+1 for moving away from MR if this is how they are going to treat their most loyal SPG customers. I'm 9 years Plat with 731 nights. I should reach 750 nights this year. However, the point isn't about a specific number, in my mind, it's about treating SPG Lifetime Platinum customers on parity with lifetime MR Plat customers. What Marriott is doing is making us feel like second class citizens, and I have a hunch that many folks will just take their business elsewhere.

I too am waiting for Hyatt/Hilton/IHG to make an offer to me. They should... it would be received well.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
MR gold elite years should count towards Plat since the number is 50 nights. Someone in another board says he was told this was the case but that is not what the document says.

But it makes sense.

Methinks without MR Gold years I will be a year or two short but still don't know as MR could not provide the info before 2015 yesterday.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....hopefully william will be able to get our comments & suggestions to the right people who in turn should do the right thing by keeping us on par with marriott lifetime plats....at the end of the day i don't think there will be more than a few hundred of us who are in this position & doing a little extra for us would only benefit marriott in the long run....
I don't understand this at all. Why would it be fair to award LT SPG members who earned LT status at the 50+ night tier the same status as Marriott members who earned LT status at the 75+ night tier? The mapping they already laid out seems almost perfectly in line with the nights loyalty and the related perks... It seems you are focusing on the naming convention of Platinum = Platinum which isn't accurate here.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mooper
I don't understand this at all. Why would it be fair to award LT SPG members who earned LT status at the 50+ night tier the same status as Marriott members who earned LT status at the 75+ night tier? The mapping they already laid out seems almost perfectly in line with the nights loyalty and the related perks... It seems you are focusing on the naming convention of Platinum = Platinum which isn't accurate here.
Not quite. Not a question of name. We couldn’t care less about the name. Some of us are well in excess of MR requirement for Marriott LFT PLT and don’t understand why we should contend with LFT PLT when our less travelled peers in MR are getting LFT PPLT.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnSIN

Not quite. Not a question of name. We couldn’t care less about the name. Some of us are well in excess of MR requirement for Marriott LFT PLT and don’t understand why we should contend with LFT PLT when our less travelled peers in MR are getting LFT PPLT.
Some may be in excess, but many are not, so it's really just the name Platinum that is being focused upon.
The reality is that LT Plat SPG is 50+ nights, and the relevant perks are akin to LT Gold MR, which is also 50+ nights.
LT Plat MR is 75+ nights and the perks more closely align with the new LT PP perks.
Giving 50+ night loyalists the same status as 75+ would cause more of a backlash than keeping 50+ in line with what they had before.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
ICYMI

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not surprising at all. Especially given MR does not believe in FT and rarely, if at all, monitors FT. If you want to get their attention then sign into Marriott Insiders and post the question there. I bet the Lurkers are probably a step or two in front of us, but also inundated with requests and will need a few days to catch up with FT posts.
Just for the benefit of anyone who hasn't yet ventured into the MR forum in fear of a barrage of "As I keep saying ....." posts, this particular post will be of interest.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mooper
Some may be in excess, but many are not, so it's really just the name Platinum that is being focused upon.
The reality is that LT Plat SPG is 50+ nights, and the relevant perks are akin to LT Gold MR, which is also 50+ nights.
LT Plat MR is 75+ nights and the perks more closely align with the new LT PP perks.
Giving 50+ night loyalists the same status as 75+ would cause more of a backlash than keeping 50+ in line with what they had before.
Well maybe that's a problem for MR to solve but take the example of those who are 1000+ nights in SPG, well in excess of the current MR Platinum requirements (and I am at 1500+), we will be at LFT PLT instead of LFT PPLT had I been with MR. The difference is very tangible in the 25% bonus you get. The difference is 16% more point which would mean that a MR member who has twice as fewer night as I have, will earn an extra night for every 6 nights worth of points (16% difference as (175-150)/150). Why should that be the case if I have spent twice as much as a MR member?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JB123
but is there a way to earn LTPP in the new program if you are either a grandfathered LTP or earn LTP after 1/1/19?
No matter how many times this question is asked, the answer is still no.

PSA: The rules of the program are posted on both Marriott and SPG's web site. Reading them is an effective way to understand the rules of the new program and the transition between the two.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:37 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Folks, a Facebook group has been started to try to bring together SPG LTPs with 750 and more nights to approach Marriott as a group. Feel free to share the link. https://t.co/GsOKpzTKpT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.