Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 pm

I am in the mid 600s too with 10 years. Your correspondence with Marriott gives me higher hope that I'd be Marriott LTPP comes August,
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I am in the 600 area definitely lower than 750 but with 12 years Plat.

The real fair offer is they just match all SPG Lifetime Plats to the Lifetime Platinum Premier of the new program. I think many of our nights is lower than Marriott is that Starwood has fewer hotels around. And we normally go out of our way to stay in a Starwood (at least I did) but many times you go to a city in Asia and Starwood isn't an option.

So let's see if the matching to the Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite happens in August. I read on the Mariott forum that people are doing crazy things to try to get to a the "grandfather" Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite as far as program goes. But as far as I know, the two level of difference is just 25% point bonus. You still need 50/75 nights (maybe less if you have the credit cards and gives you 15 night bonus ughhhh!) to get the Suite Night Awards - which I assume is the most valuable.

These two years of linked accounts, we didn't see a flood of competition of suite upgrades probably have to do with Marriott members finding out comped Platinum status don't come with Suite Night Awards and those Suite Night awards increased the chances of original SPG members getting upgrades when really wanted.

I am more concerned after the merge, the combined points will yield a flood of new Lifetime members. We'll see if there is overall service/experience decline for us post-merger. I still think SPG members will stick to their favorite hotels because the staff knows them and hopefully hotel keeps the discretionary powers to go beyond what the loyalty program allows and comp the most frequent guests (that's what my experience in Japan yielded)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:30 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by mk89103
The more I read about this the more the problem seems to be the grandfathering of a tier that nobody will be able to achieve in the future. What about an 8 or 9 year platinum with >750 nights (or 732 nights...) who is 1 year away from earning LTP? They will likely just always feel bad that they aren't LTPP.

MR should just make it an achievable status level, which would remove a lot of the pressure.
Those are cases where they didn't quality for the SPG Lifetime status before it ended. The merge was announced 2 years ago. So those with 8/9 year Platinum now means they were on their 6th or 7th year as Platinum when the corporation merge happened. I don't think these members thought they can make it to Life-time before the two loyalty program merge back then.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WS Silver, UA Silver
The only reason a SPG LTP cant’t match over to MR LTPP is because the equivalent level has never existed in SPG. It’s not because a large number of SPG LTP were any less loyal to the Starwood Brand than MR LTP members were, equivelant SPG LTP just never had a LT tier to be placed in.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by KelownaGuy
The only reason a SPG LTP cant’t match over to MR LTPP is because the equivalent level has never existed in SPG. It’s not because a large number of SPG LTP were any less loyal to the Starwood Brand than MR LTP members were, equivelant SPG LTP just never had a LT tier to be placed in.
Yes, and there was never a line to cross to get MR PP, it was a moving target of the top 3%, so if someone did one more of whatever they measured, you were out. Making Platinum Premier a static tier gives them something above Platinum. It's just a matter of time before they do say Diamond that is by invitation only (sound familiar?) for the mucky mucks that think they are too good to have to spend so many nights in a room.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:57 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Does anyone know how one can see their Lifetime Platinum status on MR's website? I know that I am, but I can't find it. I called and spoke with 2 CSR's today and neither one could point me in the right direction (in all fairness, I hung up after being on hold with the second one for 12 minutes). I also sent an email to Marriott Rewards today, but I doubt I'll ever hear back from them.

Surely it's there in my profile tab or someplace and I'm just overlooking the obvious? Just to be clear, I'm not looking for current status (I can easily see "Platinum" on my profile page) but rather my "Lifetime Platinum" status. TIA.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I agree on the equal opportunity. Give SPG members the same threshold within their own program (10 years Platinum, 750+ nights, $2M equivalent of Marriott points i.e. 666,667) and treat them the same as Marriott members.

Last edited by PrivatePilot; Apr 18, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Those are cases where they didn't quality for the SPG Lifetime status before it ended. The merge was announced 2 years ago. So those with 8/9 year Platinum now means they were on their 6th or 7th year as Platinum when the corporation merge happened. I don't think these members thought they can make it to Life-time before the two loyalty program merge back then.
(raises hand) - 9 years of Plat as of next month, 800+ nights, something 1.5MM Starpoints earned (so 4-5MM MR equivalent).

I always predicted I'd be the biggest loser - I'm currently second biggest loser to the 750+ night SPG LT Plats. I do think Marriott will eventually do those folks right, and I am happy for them, they earned it - and then I will be back to being in the biggest loser group
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfosyd
I also just talked to Marriott Rewards as well.

Me: I'd like to confirm that lifetime Marriott Gold in August will receive lifetime Platinum Elite status in the new program.
Rep: Hold on, I need to research this.
<15 minute hold>
Rep: Yes, a lifetime Marriott Gold will receive Lifetime Platinum Elite Status.
Me: I'd like to confirm that a lifetime Marriott Platinum will receive Lifetime Platinum Premier Status in the new program.
<30 minute hold>
Rep: Yes, a lifetime Marriott Platinum will receive Lifetime Platinum Premier Status in the new program.
Me: OK, great. I am currently a lifetime Marriott Gold with 670 Nights as well as 1.8 million lifetime points and an SPG Platinum member with 939 nights as well as 13 years of loyalty to SPG. What happens to me?
Rep: You will receive Platinum in the new program.
Me: Is there a way to get to Platinum Premier?
Rep: Yes, you need to stay another 80 nights at Marriott properties and earn 200,000 points.
Me: Do I need to do this by August 1st?
Rep: Yes, by August 1st.
Me: So my SPG points and loyalty mean nothing?
Rep: Sir, this is the information I have.
Me: Thank you.
This is wrong. I thought you had until the end of the year to qualify for lifetime status under the old program rules? Not Aug 1st.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mk89103
The more I read about this the more the problem seems to be the grandfathering of a tier that nobody will be able to achieve in the future. What about an 8 or 9 year platinum with >750 nights (or 732 nights...) who is 1 year away from earning LTP? They will likely just always feel bad that they aren't LTPP.

MR should just make it an achievable status level, which would remove a lot of the pressure, or be very generous at allowing requests from people who are the margins to be included.

That's my exact situation. 850+ nights in SPG, 14yrs elite with 9 of those plat (as of this year). Not going to be happy if all I'll ever be able to achieve is LTP versus LTPP.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
This is wrong. I thought you had until the end of the year to qualify for lifetime status under the old program rules? Not Aug 1st.
That’s what I thought too but I was told this by the MR rep. There is so much misinformation going around, and no one knows, even the supervisors. I really wish someone from Marriott and/or Starwood would step in and clarify.

In addition, I was told there would be a one time conversion of points in August to the new program. How would they then track only Marriott stays to qualify for LTP. I guess it’s possible.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:34 pm

That’s what I thought too but I was told this by the MR rep. There is so much misinformation going around, and no one knows, even the supervisors. I really wish someone from Marriott and/or Starwood would step in and clarify.

In addition, I was told there would be a one time conversion of points in August to the new program. How would they then track only Marriott stays to qualify for LTP. I guess it’s possible.
This site (https://members.marriott.com/benefits/), under Important Information for Lifetime members, its says "You can also qualify via the existing criteria through December 31, 2018" so I would think you can still qualify under the old rules till the end of the year.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot

I can only imagine the scramble going on in the call centers. Remember, these are the folks that are not always up to date with the rules and want to get you off the phone. Yes, things are changing but what they announced is you will have until the end of the year to earn credit in the old systems. So if you are 10 nights away from earning SPG Plat, then 10 nights in SPG properties will get you SPG Plat status. And yes, they will know which nights are MR vs SPG. Also, if sometime after 8/1, you meet the requirements for MPG Plat status, you will be moved to that status. You will get the higher of the three programs.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by KelownaGuy
I am confused with your comment. Marriott also did not have LTPP level. They had the same levels as Starwood lifetime. Silver, Gold, and Plat.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hts
Does anyone know how one can see their Lifetime Platinum status on MR's website? I know that I am, but I can't find it. I called and spoke with 2 CSR's today and neither one could point me in the right direction (in all fairness, I hung up after being on hold with the second one for 12 minutes). I also sent an email to Marriott Rewards today, but I doubt I'll ever hear back from them.

Surely it's there in my profile tab or someplace and I'm just overlooking the obvious? Just to be clear, I'm not looking for current status (I can easily see "Platinum" on my profile page) but rather my "Lifetime Platinum" status. TIA.
Sign into your account, click on Activity, and click on # of nights in top right corner. It’s a live link to your LT status. Or just look on the app.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:42 pm

. I really wish someone from Marriott and/or Starwood would step in and clarify.
Silence is good news. It means they are thinking about it. If there was no way they were considering this, there would have already been a clarification...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.