Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I am thinking to use my AA EXP status for Gold.
I am not sure if my AAdvantage membership digital card which shows my name, EXP status, expiration date, membership number is enough.
Do I need to submit anything else besides the digital membership card???
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I only submitted a screenshot of the top part of my AA account page, with the elite number partially blurred out, if I recall correctly.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I only submitted a screenshot of the top part of my AA account page, with the elite number partially blurred out, if I recall correctly.
I don't have elite status with AA... did the SS show them sufficient data whether status is earned?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
I don't have elite status with AA... did the SS show them sufficient data whether status is earned?
Yes, they could tell from the loyalty points that status was earned this year and good until 2024. It was 90% from non-flying means, but they could not tell that.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Not worth it

Did the status match to Gold, the benefits are nice if you are always traveling alone but once you book with family it's worthless. The Gold status benefits does not transfer to others booked on reservation. So if any one on reservation wants all the benefits, they must pay for it making Gold status lonely and expensive for family travel. Other airlines give their elite flyers transfered benefits to at least one or more members on a reservation. For example Frontier elites families get the same benefits when flying on same reservation.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Did the status match to Gold, the benefits are nice if you are always traveling alone but once you book with family it's worthless. The Gold status benefits does not transfer to others booked on reservation. So if any one on reservation wants all the benefits, they must pay for it making Gold status lonely and expensive for family travel. Other airlines give their elite flyers transfered benefits to at least one or more members on a reservation. For example Frontier elites families get the same benefits when flying on same reservation.
damn, didn't think or know of that! should have been reasonable to include at least 1 companion, as i fly with SO most of time! F9 is ok up to 6 or 8 ppl...

had i been aware of it, would not have got its CC & saved a spot for another

Last edited by danhouston; Aug 19, 2022 at 1:15 am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:00 am

I got the rude awakening when I went to book trip myself +1 for tge first time as Gold. Every time I went to book my companion to be seated next to me, I was charged while my seat was selection was free. The same for carry-on. Free for me but companion had to pay. I quit making the reservation because it would have cost more than alaska air or Frontier. I ended up flying Frontier as an elite since my companion received the same benefits as me on same reservation; free seat selection including big front seats, free carry-on, free checked baggage and priority boarding. I never took a flight on Spirit after that experience. No point in paying to keep status that is only good for myself.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:27 pm

I submitted status mach challenge docs on 8/13/2022 and noticed today on 8/21/2022 that I became Gold.
However, my Gold status is valid until 11/14/2022 not 11/20/2022.
When I checked my account yesterday, I was a base member.

Last edited by MrJBoy; Aug 21, 2022 at 1:40 pm
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I submitted status mach challenge docs on 8/13/2022 and noticed today on 8/21/2022 that I became Gold.
yep, it starts on the date the doc was submitted, not approved 😒 so I'll submit mine later in Oct if to complete challenge on next Jan
Old Aug 21, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're lucky it only took a week, mine was a month and that month was wasted.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:52 pm

I received an email from Spirit saying the status match challenge was on, and also another email is telling me not to forget to add 1 free carry-on and 1 free checked bag as Gold, but the website tried to charge $55 and $49 respectively.
I am not sure if I can continue to proceed...
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:52 pm

DP:
8/8: Submitted match request
Called their number on the status match page a couple times to try to expedite, but doubt that did anything
8/21: Received status match

Got it in the middle of a roundtrip, but was nevertheless useful for my trip, and plan to make use of it at least a couple times in the next few months.

Was able to select seats for already-booked flight for free. Don't forget about free snack+drink benefit for gold.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:37 pm

The time between status match email and actual implementation is delayed.

I received an email from Spirit saying the status match challenge was on, and also another email is telling me not to forget to add 1 free carry-on and 1 free checked bag as Gold, but the website tried to charge $55 and $49 respectively.
I am not sure if I can continue to proceed...
Had the same problem. Received status match email confirmation but the actual benefit took 2 weeks to start and your time to complete status requirements starts at time of email confirmation.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that they effectively cut down the challenge time from three months to two shows that they are not serious, and also cut down the chances that someone will pursue status even further (down to 0 in my case). This is just stupid.

It is not that hard to start the challenge when they send the email.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
That is definitely a YMMV thing - technically doesn't happen, but does sometimes.

Originally Posted by download
DP:

Was able to select seats for already-booked flight for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.