Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Not enough time and lack of shared benefits.

Originally Posted by nk15
The fact that they effectively cut down the challenge time from three months to two shows that they are not serious, and also cut down the chances that someone will pursue status even further (down to 0 in my case). This is just stupid.

It is not that hard to start the challenge when they send the email.
Agreed. Only completed one trip due to all the issues. Did not have desire to complete the challenge even though the benefits for status holder are pretty good, overall not worth the time and effort IMO.
LGA likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Agreed. Only completed one trip due to all the issues. Did not have desire to complete the challenge even though the benefits for status holder are pretty good, overall not worth the time and effort IMO.
yea, esp. its highest tier gold benefits don't even include a single companion
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:52 pm

Anyone have any luck with them taking the charge off at the airport? Even if it won't recognize your status on line, an agent at the airport should be able to...running into the same issues with getting approved but online is not recognizing my status when comes to adding bags for my flight in a few days.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:17 pm

Submitted a Silver status match request on 9/25, was approved 10/5, and it says Valid through 12/26/22. We'll see if I can select seats for free for my flight later in Nov when checking in..
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Mine expired unceremoniously, that was 2 months worth of nothing, I only got a Gold member snack and drink, two oreos and a sprite, lol....That was a waste of everyone's time...Great job Spirit with those challenges....

If I had 4 full months I would have gone for it.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 6, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:52 pm

Can anyone confirm that flight purchases are counting as 10x points during this special Gold status match? As I read it, you only need 1,250 points to retain Gold for 2023, and that would mean only $125 in flight purchases if they're worth 10x per dollar on flights during the match period.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by radiojon
Can anyone confirm that flight purchases are counting as 10x points during this special Gold status match? As I read it, you only need 1,250 points to retain Gold for 2023, and that would mean only $125 in flight purchases if they're worth 10x per dollar on flights during the match period.
Make sure you are not confusing status points with redeemable points...If it was so easy we would all be Gold.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by radiojon
a min spend of $12.5k on Spirit CC or $1250 on fares to keep gold status

Last edited by danhouston; Oct 10, 2022 at 10:59 am
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Just fares only?

Originally Posted by danhouston
a min spend of $12.5k on Spirit CC or $1250 on fares to keep gold status

Does this also include "Big Front Seats," as well as other upgraded options?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Does this also include "Big Front Seats," as well as other upgraded options?
earn 20x for BFS purch
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:51 pm

any folks knows a dedicated phone # for Gold status? TIA

edit: nvm, found it

Last edited by danhouston; Oct 17, 2022 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:55 pm

Hoping for some give and take with this post and looking for thoughts as well. A year ago I wouldn't have made any effort for a Spirit Gold Challenge. As I'm losing JB Mosaic status Dec 2022 with zero chance of achieving it for '23, I thought I'd take a shot at achieving Spirit Gold via challenge with the thinking that I may be able to re-acquire Mosaic or Mosaic+ as a Spirit Gold status holder in late '23 given the upcoming (probable) merger. I've also started to fly Spirit more recently 9(incl work trips) and I'm starting to think the experience (in Big Front Seat) is vastly superior to flying AA w no status. Spirit is becoming like AirTran just prior to SW buying them...improved experience with big seat option and now best on-time performance (incredibly). In past mergers, (AirTran SW) (US Air AA) (Alaska-Virgin) I seem to recall that the status holders of the program being absorbed were (at least in the short term) given a pretty fair shake with respect to status level granted on the new combined FF program. If Spirit Gold are granted Mosaic through Dec '24, then I'd consider the entire effort worthwhile ...if eventually granted Mosaic+ in late '23 (or equivalent) then the effort for the challenge would be time well spent. Below are the data points...

*Applied for a Gold challenge via the Spirit website mid Aug. Followed up via WhatsApp twice in the next 30 days for status. rReps handling the Spirit WhatsApp channel have zero info. other than to refer you to the original submission website
*First week of Oct I rec'd an email saying I was granted Gold through late Nov. I'm guessing I'll now need to achieve 1250 SQPs (challenge requirement) in about 40 days. This actually might be possible as I have 3 fairly pricey flights booked (with bags and big front seat) during this period. By my count I'll need to spend about $7K on my Spirit credit card along with flying the 3 segments I had already booked. Homeowners and auto renewals are so expensive that spending $7K is not an issue.
*I'm happy to report back on the results of my challenge... I welcome thoughts (speculation) on how JB will treat Spirit Gold fliers w respect to Mosaic conversions. Also welcome anyone else's comments on whether they experienced a much shorter window to complete the challenge versus the 90 days advertised.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:48 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think the loyalty program integration will take place by next year.

I would think that it's Q2 24 the earliest.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by mm93991
Hoping for some give and take with this post and looking for thoughts as well. A year ago I wouldn't have made any effort for a Spirit Gold Challenge. As I'm losing JB Mosaic status Dec 2022 with zero chance of achieving it for '23, I thought I'd take a shot at achieving Spirit Gold via challenge with the thinking that I may be able to re-acquire Mosaic or Mosaic+ as a Spirit Gold status holder in late '23 given the upcoming (probable) merger. I've also started to fly Spirit more recently 9(incl work trips) and I'm starting to think the experience (in Big Front Seat) is vastly superior to flying AA w no status. Spirit is becoming like AirTran just prior to SW buying them...improved experience with big seat option and now best on-time performance (incredibly). In past mergers, (AirTran SW) (US Air AA) (Alaska-Virgin) I seem to recall that the status holders of the program being absorbed were (at least in the short term) given a pretty fair shake with respect to status level granted on the new combined FF program. If Spirit Gold are granted Mosaic through Dec '24, then I'd consider the entire effort worthwhile ...if eventually granted Mosaic+ in late '23 (or equivalent) then the effort for the challenge would be time well spent. Below are the data points...

*Applied for a Gold challenge via the Spirit website mid Aug. Followed up via WhatsApp twice in the next 30 days for status. rReps handling the Spirit WhatsApp channel have zero info. other than to refer you to the original submission website
*First week of Oct I rec'd an email saying I was granted Gold through late Nov. I'm guessing I'll now need to achieve 1250 SQPs (challenge requirement) in about 40 days. This actually might be possible as I have 3 fairly pricey flights booked (with bags and big front seat) during this period. By my count I'll need to spend about $7K on my Spirit credit card along with flying the 3 segments I had already booked. Homeowners and auto renewals are so expensive that spending $7K is not an issue.
*I'm happy to report back on the results of my challenge... I welcome thoughts (speculation) on how JB will treat Spirit Gold fliers w respect to Mosaic conversions. Also welcome anyone else's comments on whether they experienced a much shorter window to complete the challenge versus the 90 days advertised.
mine has about 60 days til 1/9/23 to meet the challenge; plan to meet the req spend in early Jan then will let ya know if mine would get extended til Dec 2024
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
mine has about 60 days til 1/9/23 to meet the challenge; plan to meet the req spend in early Jan then will let ya know if mine would get extended til Dec 2024
I think the path you are taking here is the best and your timing may even result with you getting 2 years of Spirit Gold for '23 and '24 with an outside possibility of then being granted Mosaic or Mosaic+ through 'Dec '25.. In hindsight I wish I would have submitted the challenge request in late October to time Gold status being granted after 1/1/23.. My advice would be to make sure you don't hit the 1250 SQP mark until Jan 1 '23 or a few days after. If you're using credit card spend to try to time achieving the 1250 SQP, be aware that it seems that the timing of SQPs added to your Free Spirit acct do not coincide with the BofA stmt dates. For example, SPQs relating to my BofA credit card spend are deposited on the 7th of the month (for activity from the previous calendar month) and neither of these dates coincide with my statement cut date. If they deposit SQPs on the 7th for everyone in the Free Spirit program, you may be in luck as Jan 7 would be perfect timing. Look forward to your follow-up and will share mine with the forum as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.