Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:58 pm

Becoming Gold - apply to already booked flights?

If I do the gold status match and have flights already booked on spirit - will I be able to go in and add my free bag and select a seat for those flights?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Visconti
So, $63 + $19 = $82 for an F seat sounds like a pretty darn good deal. Am I missing anything? Sure, I get there's no PDB, offer to hang up one's jacket and catered meals, but I really don't care about any of that on short flights. Now, if they save bin space, I'd be a huge fan!
IMO, yes (you are potentially missing something). It's not always going to be $19 for the ticket, nor $63 for the BFS. Also, you have to fly a ULCC and all that entails, such as potentially poorer IRROPs recovery, and especially non-sensical customer service. I say this despite having generally neutral-or-positive experiences on Spirit.
Visconti likes this.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Apr 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
…especially non-sensical customer service. I say this despite having generally neutral-or-positive experiences on Spirit.
THIS!! 100 percent agree.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by wjm7733
THIS!! 100 percent agree.
Maybe we should start a thread on Spirit CS non-sensicality. Not so much a rant thread (though people will be allowed to express themselves), but rather to warn others what perils to be aware of, and how to strategize and accommodate for them.

For example, one "peril" is that their checked bag limit defaults to 40 lbs, not the "standard" 50 lbs (23 kg). I don't imagine their equipment and staff is automatically 20% less capable than industry peers, but rather they've found an intriguing avenue to collect another fee. Ok: so their policy limit is 40 lbs. I suppose a "mitigation strategy" could be to to absolutely weigh your checked bag before heading to the airport, and use lighter luggage.
wjm7733 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'm kind of annoyed since I could really use it this year, but I'm not eligible for it again until next year. I could try to do it but it looks like the application fee is nonrefundable. It would suck to be out $99 and have nothing to show for it.

-J.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by David Simon
If I do the gold status match and have flights already booked on spirit - will I be able to go in and add my free bag and select a seat for those flights?
Like to know this too!!
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I'm kind of annoyed since I could really use it this year, but I'm not eligible for it again until next year. I could try to do it but it looks like the application fee is nonrefundable. It would suck to be out $99 and have nothing to show for it.

-J.
Where does it say that you are not eligible? Never mind, I saw it in the T&C...shame, I was about to pay for it...

Last edited by nk15; Apr 10, 2023 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:53 pm

solved

Last edited by neuro0; Apr 10, 2023 at 6:31 pm Reason: issuse solved
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by nk15
Where does it say that you are not eligible? Never mind, I saw it in the T&C...shame, I was about to pay for it...
I would have loved to try it and see what happens. But I'm not desperate enough for status to risk losing $100. I have one flight booked with NK this year so far, and I already paid for the carry-on bag, so it just doesn't seem worth it at this point.

If I did have the status, I would probably book a lot more travel on them. However last year it took six weeks for the match to process and that screwed me over, so I'm in no hurry to take that chance given that I'm flying them in less than a month.

-J.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Yes, already reflects Gold status. My status match was approved in about 10 minutes notified via email, then status changed in about 24 hours.
Thanks. I have a feeling there is an issue with my match. I applied on Thursday and received an approval email about 1 hour after applying. The spirit airlines status tracker website (https://spirit.statusmatch.com/track/) shows that my status is 'Pending Approval" but the status match website shows its "fully approved". I reached out to see if there is an issue with my match. Hopefully it shows up on my account soon.

Update - Sent an email today to inquire about match. In the past hour, my status has now changed to gold.

Last edited by UCSBCHRIS2002; Apr 11, 2023 at 2:47 pm
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by UCSBCHRIS2002
Thanks. I have a feeling there is an issue with my match. I applied on Thursday and received an approval email about 1 hour after applying. The spirit airlines status tracker website (https://spirit.statusmatch.com/track/) shows that my status is 'Pending Approval" but the status match website shows its "fully approved". I reached out to see if there is an issue with my match. Hopefully it shows up on my account soon.
We are having similar issues. Two of us applied Friday afternoon and received the approval email within a few hours of applying. Still no status match. I wonder if they are overwhelmed with application volume or just taking their time. It says it could take up to 5 business days.
UCSBCHRIS2002 and jebr like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 3:58 pm

I applied Thursday afternoon and it just came through this afternoon for me.

As an FYI, there's also a Capital One Spring/Capital One Business deal for 30% off the Savers Club. I've found that while it doesn't fully make up the difference versus booking in person, if you're booking a lot it's probably worth it for the convenience.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
We are having similar issues. Two of us applied Friday afternoon and received the approval email within a few hours of applying. Still no status match. I wonder if they are overwhelmed with application volume or just taking their time. It says it could take up to 5 business days.
Update: The status is now Gold, so 4 days for the process
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
Update: The status is now Gold, so 4 days for the process
Took four business days for me as well.

Quick question for a Spirit Gold newbie: will I get Zone 1 boarding if I have a carry on bag, or is that just for those who have paid for carry ons (i.e., not gotten them comped with Silver/Gold status)?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: United
Which airlines would let you status match with Spirit?
I am confused with Turkish Airlines, they told me it is not a partner airline and refused to match
Wouldn't Turkish Airlines decline status match to any partners i.e Star Alliance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.