Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Just the details it the wiki.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Seems to be free unlike F9s status match.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Has anyone been able to do this yet? I submitted my info last Wednesday (matching from AS MVP) and other than an automated confirmation email, I've heard bupkis.

-J.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Has anyone been able to do this yet? I submitted my info last Wednesday (matching from AS MVP) and other than an automated confirmation email, I've heard bupkis.
Just as a data point... I submitted on March 2nd and am still waiting. Did a chat with customer service on Friday and the agent said she would put an escalation note on the file, though to be perfectly honest I don't think she had any idea what I was talking about

-J.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
I submitted on January 1st and I received an email confirming the challenge on January 7th.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Applied March 2nd
Flew March 26th
Granted Silver and challenge on April 9th

-J.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:49 pm

Status Challenge

I received a status match challenge and I'm trying to determine if I will do it. The Gold status has some pretty good benefits, but I need to get to 1,250 SQP in 90 days to keep Gold status until December 2023. The description of how to earn SQP is here: https://www.spirit.com/s/earning-points

For me the only way to do it will be to spend $12,500 on the Spirit MasterCard to get 1,250 points. If I use my 2% cash back card instead of Spirit credit card for a 12,500 spend, I would earn $250 cash back. Need to determine if Gold status is worth $250 for me.

Have others done this? Was it worth $250 to you?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
I received a status match challenge and I'm trying to determine if I will do it. The Gold status has some pretty good benefits, but I need to get to 1,250 SQP in 90 days to keep Gold status until December 2023. The description of how to earn SQP is here: https://www.spirit.com/s/earning-points

For me the only way to do it will be to spend $12,500 on the Spirit MasterCard to get 1,250 points. If I use my 2% cash back card instead of Spirit credit card for a 12,500 spend, I would earn $250 cash back. Need to determine if Gold status is worth $250 for me.

I'm in a similar boat... need 500 SQPs to keep the Silver status. That means $500 spend (not happening) or getting the MC and spending $5,000. As much as I didn't mind flying on them, I don't think I'm going to go for this one.

-J.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:25 am

I'm in a similar boat... need 500 SQPs to keep the Silver status. That means $500 spend (not happening) or getting the MC and spending $5,000. As much as I didn't mind flying on them, I don't think I'm going to go for this one.

-J.
Some of the benefits of Gold are really good, like Flight Flex. To do this on a non-budget airline requires top tier status. However, spending over $10K in 90 days won't be easy to do. I need to decide if I'm going to do this quickly. Would love to hear from other Gold members on their experience with this level tier.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:15 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
No Response to Status Match Request

No status match, no email turning me down, no clue on the part of most of the people I spoke with on the phone. Seems rather "bait and switch" to me, and I'm kicking myself for booking with them before getting the match.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGA
No status match, no email turning me down, no clue on the part of most of the people I spoke with on the phone. Seems rather "bait and switch" to me, and I'm kicking myself for booking with them before getting the match.
When did you apply? What status did you use (and did you earn it BIS or through a promo)?

I may actually fly Spirit in June. Trying to plan either a day trip to BNA or MIA, or a week somewhere in FL. Unfortunately I will not complete the challenge but it was a nice idea in theory. I too was annoyed that I booked before it went through, but I ended up flying before it went through too

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Apr 20, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by LGA
I had to email customer support twice to check on my status match request. The whole process took about 6 - 8 weeks until my status match was granted.

It isn't clear to me if there are ways to earn Spirit Qualifying Miles (SQM) other than these 3 ways: 1) Buying flight tickets 2)Buying upgrades, seats, luggage, etc. 3) Spending on a Spirit MasterCard. I think I'm going to try to earn the 1,250 SQM in 90 days, but it is going to require a big spend on my MasterCard. Having Gold status through 12/23 is a pretty good benefit if I can manage to obtain it.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What bugs me the most now is that I'm getting near-daily emails reminding me that "The Challenge Is On!" I got the hint the first time.

-J.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:19 pm

What bugs me the most now is that I'm getting near-daily emails reminding me that "The Challenge Is On!" I got the hint the first time.

-J.
I'm getting those messages too - every day at around 3:50 p.m. I've been receiving them daily for almost 2 weeks. Most unhelpfully, the email does not indicate the start and end date of the "challenge." I've asked Spirit customer service for the start and end dates of my challenge, but have not received a response yet. I suppose that I can assume that the start date was the first day that I received the email, but I'd really like confirmation of the start / end date(s).
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie

which airline status did u match to get Gold with spirit? any folks with SWA CP was able to get matched to Gold earlier this yr?

Thx

Last edited by danhouston; Apr 22, 2022 at 7:54 am
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
which airline status did u match to get God with spirit? any folks who has SWA CP was able to get matched to Gold earlier this yr?

Thx
I matched with Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.