Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by mm93991
I think the path you are taking here is the best and your timing may even result with you getting 2 years of Spirit Gold for '23 and '24 with an outside possibility of then being granted Mosaic or Mosaic+ through 'Dec '25.. In hindsight I wish I would have submitted the challenge request in late October to time Gold status being granted after 1/1/23.. My advice would be to make sure you don't hit the 1250 SQP mark until Jan 1 '23 or a few days after. If you're using credit card spend to try to time achieving the 1250 SQP, be aware that it seems that the timing of SQPs added to your Free Spirit acct do not coincide with the BofA stmt dates. For example, SPQs relating to my BofA credit card spend are deposited on the 7th of the month (for activity from the previous calendar month) and neither of these dates coincide with my statement cut date. If they deposit SQPs on the 7th for everyone in the Free Spirit program, you may be in luck as Jan 7 would be perfect timing. Look forward to your follow-up and will share mine with the forum as well.
my CC closing date is the 18th, planning to meet a min 1250 sqp miles in Jan before the 9th (my expiring promo status) and see what will happen
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:03 pm

deleted
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:10 pm

SPQs relating to my BofA credit card spend are deposited on the 7th of the month (for activity from the previous calendar month) and neither of these dates coincide with my statement cut date. If they deposit SQPs on the 7th for everyone in the Free Spirit program, you may be in luck as Jan 7 would be perfect timing. Look forward to your follow-up and will share mine with the forum as well.
besides OP, folks that earned SQPs during the promo status match, did the SQPs post or reflect after the 7th of the mo., or a different date like the CC closing date's? Thx
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:13 pm

Additional DP. SQPs for Oct 1 - Oct 31 BofA CC spend posted in my Free Spirit acct today.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:43 am

Additional DP. SQPs for Oct 1 - Oct 31 BofA CC spend posted in my Free Spirit acct today.
thx for an update; mine also showed on the 6th...
any rate, not sure if the gold status would be extended til 2024 when the SQPs posted around Feb 6 while my promo status already expires on Jan 9 🤔; had my SM done later this mo. for the promo status valid til next Feb, would likely have been safer

Last edited by danhouston; Nov 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:22 am

I obtained Frontier’s 100k Elite status this year via status with Bonvoy. Unfortunately I was only able to obtain 60k qualifying miles this year so I will drop down to 50k Elite status for 2023. Before I drop down a level in January, I am considering doing the Spirit Status Challenge this month in hopes of getting Spirit Gold. Spirit’s requirements say complimentary status or earned through promotion are not eligible. My current profile with F9 shows 60k miles flown which included the 20k Red Cross promo, and not sure if sending the mileage breakdown would help or hurt my chances, as I want to match with Gold not Silver. Or should I just submit a screenshot of my 100k status? Also, would you recommend I apply now for the challenge or wait until the end of the month? It is my understanding the match can take a while to process. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:05 am

the SQPs for my spend in Nov didn't post on the 6th or 7th as Spirit typically did in previous months; has any folks got it few days ago? my CC closing date is the 18th... hope the SQPs will also be posted then

Last edited by danhouston; Dec 10, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by ericjenrique
Also, would you recommend I apply now for the challenge or wait until the end of the month? It is my understanding the match can take a while to process. Thanks in advance.
Only speaking to what I know about, and I would submit ASAP. Took 6ish weeks for me earlier this year, which resulted in me not having status when I flew on them (as it was still processing) and I did not fly them again this year (even though I had several opportunities). I would have liked to, but without any status I wasn't about to start. I am perfectly happy flying American, even if they are $20-30 more most of the time -- I would give Spirit a chance, but only if they gave me a chance (which they waited too long to do).

-J.
wjm7733 and ericjenrique like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:00 pm

Just wanted to chime in that this thread has been extremely helpful (eye-opening, at least) in my pursuit of the status match. I wish I had taken the time to find and read the thread sooner, because it puts everything that has happened (er, not happened) in context (i.e. - that this whole status match by Spirit is kind of bs).

I'm Gold on AA; over two weeks ago (February 13) I submitted my document showing earned status on AA. Immediately got an email confirmation that the document had been received. Had a flight on Spirit a few days later. Called the phone number on the status match page the day before the flight because I had not gotten a response on the status match. The phone number is absolutely worthless. All I was able to learn was that I was still not elite (no duh). Sent a follow up email shortly thereafter; no response. Took my Spirit flight.

I have a flight this Saturday coming up on Spirit (FLL to Lima). Still no response on the status match. Stupid me thought, well, maybe if I call that phone number again, today, I will get a person who can actually help me get the status match rolling Want to guess what happened on the phone call? If you guessed that NOTHING useful happened on the phone call you would be correct.

So, anyway, that got me to this thread. I would at the very least like to have the overweight checked baggage fee waiver before the flight to Lima. Seems unlikely I will get the status match before that date. I guess the good thing is, though, based on what I read in this thread the start date of the challenge will be back-dated to the date I "applied" for the status match as opposed to the date it gets granted. That would mean that my multiple flights should count towards the challenge (even though I will not have received any elite benefits on those flights).

I will keep you posted on how it all plays out.

Originally Posted by nk15
The fact that they effectively cut down the challenge time from three months to two shows that they are not serious, and also cut down the chances that someone will pursue status even further (down to 0 in my case). This is just stupid.

It is not that hard to start the challenge when they send the email.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
thx for an update; mine also showed on the 6th...
any rate, not sure if the gold status would be extended til 2024 when the SQPs posted around Feb 6 while my promo status already expires on Jan 9 🤔; had my SM done later this mo. for the promo status valid til next Feb, would likely have been safer
mine got extended til 2024
wjm7733 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:32 am

Looks like there's a new status match page through spirit.statusmatch.com. Hopefully this will speed up the processing of status matches.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:33 am
Original Member

The $99 status match is a no-brainer. I usually fly standby on zed fares, and the last few flights I took with Spirit, the zed price was only about $10 cheaper than the base fare (but zed fares include all baggage). So in these cases, I can now guarantee a spot on the flight, guarantee an exit row seat, and pack a few bottles of local distilled souvenirs in my bag with the overweight fee waiver. Sign me up! As a side note, it makes the discounts included in the Savers Club worth considerably less. I'm not sure I will even buy enough flights to capture the $70 upfront charge.

UPDATE: I received an email approving my Spirit status match 12 minutes after I submitted the application.
GW McLintock and Super Mario like this.

Last edited by Tino; Apr 6, 2023 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Too bad I did the status match last year, though it didn't take effect until after I already flew on them. Guess I'll wait until 2024.

-J.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: SW A-List, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Gold Status Match Approved!

Took about an hour to get an email confirming the status match to Gold (Used Hhonors Status for match). Spirit Account not yet updated to show status but email said it may take up to 5 business days.
CodeAdam10 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:07 pm

Question: Does Spirit status benefits allow to companions on the same reservation?

TiA !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.