Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Long Train Runnin

Status Match Challenge

The Free Spirit Status Match Challenge is an opportunity for you to experience the most valuable benefits of the Free Spirit program. Show your loyalty to Spirit and immediately benefit from your Status levels. If you have elite status with another airline, we will give you the equivalent Free Spirit Status for ninety (90) days – complimentary. Plus, you many earn ongoing Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on our Free Spirit page.

In three simple steps you could be on your way to enjoying Free Spirit Status.

1. Determine your eligibility
  • Must meet ALL the following criteria to participate in our Status Match Challenge:
    • You have not received a Status Match or complimentary Free Spirit Status in the past two years.
    • You currently have elite status with a qualifying airline that was earned through that airline’s published requirements (complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify)
    • Must present an approved proof of membership document confirming your elite status with an airline listed above.
    • Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline levels are required for the Status Match Challenge.
2. Click here to complete the form and upload your documents.
  • If you met all the criteria listed above, call our Contact Center team at 1-833-728-3359, or fill out the form here to be enrolled in the Status Match Challenge.
  • Make sure you’re ready to begin the challenge before you submit your request as your ninety-day complimentary Status period will begin within 24 hours after you receive the email confirmation of being accepted for a Status Match Challenge.
3. Enjoy the temporary Free Spirit Status by traveling with Spirit and/or spending on the Free Spirit Travel More Mastercard to earn the required Status Qualifying Points to retain the Status membership.

Once approved, you will be granted 90-days of Free Spirit Silver or Gold status based on your current elite membership with another airline. If your request is not approved, you’ll receive an email notifying you of our decision.

Use the Status Comparison chart to see what airline elite levels are qualified for the Free Spirit Status Match Challenge.

Enjoying your complimentary Free Spirit Status? Extend it by earning the required amount of Free Spirit SQP's during the 90-day complimentary period.
  • Your account will not be credited with Status Qualification Points (SQP's) equivalent to the normal earning requirement.
  • Our Guest Relations team will place you at the correct Status level based on your selected challenge level.
  • Enjoy full benefits of the Silver or Gold tier during the 90-day challenge period.
  • If you don't qualify at the end of the 90-day period under the terms of the Status Match Challenge, your membership level will be returned to the level it was prior to the challenge period.
  • If you meet the challenge criteria, you will enjoy the benefits of the Silver or Gold program level for the remainder of that calendar year plus the following calendar year.
  • If you do not meet the challenge criteria, the Silver or Gold status will be terminated immediately, and you will be returned to the Free Spirit level held prior to the Status Match Challenge.
  • You are allowed one Status Match Challenge every two years.
  • An email will be sent confirming the outcome of the Status Match Challenge

Link for info here:
https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-us/category/article/KA-01493
Print Wikipost

Spirt Airlines Status Challenge Info

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Burdaku
Which airlines would let you status match with Spirit?
I am confused with Turkish Airlines, they told me it is not a partner airline and refused to match
Wouldn't Turkish Airlines decline status match to any partners i.e Star Alliance?
There is a table in the wiki at the top of this thread that shows which airline statuses are available. That table was lifted directly from the Spirit status match page. If it is not on that table, it is not eligible (as stated in the FAQs).

-J.
vegasbased likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Originally Posted by dpb132
Took four business days for me as well.

Quick question for a Spirit Gold newbie: will I get Zone 1 boarding if I have a carry on bag, or is that just for those who have paid for carry ons (i.e., not gotten them comped with Silver/Gold status)?
I think you’ll get it regardless, as although I’m Spirit Gold and paid for a carry on, the other person in my party who isn’t Gold and didn’t pay for carry ons also got Shortcut Boarding and security.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:57 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
There is a table in the wiki at the top of this thread that shows which airline statuses are available. That table was lifted directly from the Spirit status match page. If it is not on that table, it is not eligible (as stated in the FAQs).

-J.
Thanks, and sorry for not being clear. I meant to ask which airlines would accept a Status Match once you receive Spirit Gold. I saw Southwest would match to Spirit Gold.
Would any of the big players do? I am trying to eventually get a status for Turkish Airlines.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Thanks, and sorry for not being clear. I meant to ask which airlines would accept a Status Match once you receive Spirit Gold. I saw Southwest would match to Spirit Gold.
Would any of the big players do? I am trying to eventually get a status for Turkish Airlines.
You generally can't match an already-matched status -- you can only match a status earned organically. So to answer your question... none.

Not sure what the case would be if you earned Spirit Gold the hard way (actually flying and spending). Most airlines don't list Spirit as an option but give you the opportunity to submit an "other" airline, so there's no way to know. This might be a better question to ask on the Turkish forum.

-J.
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If you have a reservation before you get Gold, you have to call and have your Spiirt # removed and re-added. You should see reflect your status. Also this important for your free beverage and snack on board.
jjbiv and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:13 pm

I had two flights purchased prior to matching to Gold. I had also purchased carry-on bags for $64 each.

1st flight: Was able to move to a different day for free with flight flex and when I went to edit my bags during rebooked, it let me add the carry-on bags for free and it gave me my prepaid carry-on bag fees back as a reservation credit.
2nd flight: I did website chat with a Spirit agent (waited 2.5 hours when it estimated 40 min) and they refunded my prepaid carry-on bag fees back as a reservation credit since I am now gold.

2 flights, two people (both matched to gold), carryon bags fee saved $64 * 4 = $256 back as reservation credits. This status match is already paying for itself.

Agent did tell me that only the gold member gets the free carryon bag and free seat assignment. Any other passengers have to pay their normal fees, if not gold.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
This is a phenomenal deal. I've flown Spirit plenty of times, and never had an issue except for about 10% or less of the flights being delayed. Which is typical to other lines. Although, to be fair, I don't show up to the airport, expecting free luggage or other things, as many of the angry people do.
jjbiv, UCSBCHRIS2002 and Visconti like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:04 am

Any update on how long the matched status will show up in your account?

I am a newbie to Spirit. I noticed there are spirit.com, and another site https://www.spirit.com/s/free-spirit-status which requires a different login password.

My status match was approved a week ago, but the status did not show up in my spirit.com account. Do I need to also set up an account (with the same spirit number ) on https://www.spirit.com/s/free-spirit-status? So confused.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:57 pm

Does anyone know if the $99 is covered by the Amex Plat incidental credit of $200?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by rossteixeira
Does anyone know if the $99 is covered by the Amex Plat incidental credit of $200?
dont think so, charged to my card on april 11th so far no credit.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:34 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
I think a small-bit of your wording may have been confusing some folks. Perhaps you're trying to match away from Spirit Gold (for instance, to Southwest)? If so, you ought to be saying the opposite: that Spirit Gold would match to Southwest.

But as GW McLintock usefully noted, the path to Turkish would be much better answered in the Turkish forum. (And of course to get Spirit Gold through this match, one already needs one of the 32 listed statuses.) Personally I would be intrigued to learn of a pathway from Spirit to Turkish. Good luck.

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
I had two flights purchased prior to matching to Gold. I had also purchased carry-on bags for $64 each.

1st flight: Was able to move to a different day for free with flight flex and when I went to edit my bags during rebooked, it let me add the carry-on bags for free and it gave me my prepaid carry-on bag fees back as a reservation credit.
2nd flight: I did website chat with a Spirit agent (waited 2.5 hours when it estimated 40 min) and they refunded my prepaid carry-on bag fees back as a reservation credit since I am now gold.

2 flights, two people (both matched to gold), carryon bags fee saved $64 * 4 = $256 back as reservation credits. This status match is already paying for itself.

Agent did tell me that only the gold member gets the free carryon bag and free seat assignment. Any other passengers have to pay their normal fees, if not gold.
Bravo! Also, surprised their system/website is as coherent as it is.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by specifione
dont think so, charged to my card on april 11th so far no credit.
What's the name of the charge on your Amex statement?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by rossteixeira
What's the name of the charge on your Amex statement?
Listed on mine at "StatusMatch* Spirit Singapore SG." My guess is it won't count. Last year, I used our incidental credits for the Saver's Club and that was reimbursed. I also used the rest to buy seat assignments or bags immediately after completing the cheapest ticket purchase I could find. Even though the bags and seats cost more, I would then cancel the ticket for a reservation credit (including seats and bags). I then used the reservation credit for a ticket I actually wanted.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
Listed on mine at "StatusMatch* Spirit Singapore SG." My guess is it won't count. Last year, I used our incidental credits for the Saver's Club and that was reimbursed. I also used the rest to buy seat assignments or bags immediately after completing the cheapest ticket purchase I could find. Even though the bags and seats cost more, I would then cancel the ticket for a reservation credit (including seats and bags). I then used the reservation credit for a ticket I actually wanted.
Smart! Thanks for the tip
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Because the match is run by StatusMatch rather than the airline (Spirit) itself, it follows that the charge emanates from StatusMatch (possibly to cover its overhead) and that it regularly passes a list of new elites onto the airline. Perhaps a really generous Amex CSR might manually offer credit but it seems unlikely to autocredit as StatusMatch probably isn't even merchant-categorized as an airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.