Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Nothing indicates she was ever re-seated. Notice the big gap in the lawyers' account between WN's making the offer and the demand that she deplane.

My hunch is that she raised enough of a ruckus the captain was called. He deemed her 'disruptive' and ordered MD cops to arbitrate. Finding a seat to suit her wasn't happening. The "life-threatening" claim was a hasty expedient.

The airline did apologize to her rather sheepishly:
Under her story she was seated and grading papers. Nothing in her account precludes the FA finding her an apparently acceptable seat.

The fact that she was not merely removed but also arrested indicates to me she was mouthing off to the police.

If the Southwest account was a total fabrication, there is at least an equal poddibility her current account is too.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 4, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Under her story she was seated and grading papers. Nothing in her account precludes the FA finding her an apparently acceptable seat.
Apparently, she was already in an acceptable seat. So, there wasn't a need to relocate her.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

If the Southwest account was a total fabrication, there is at least an equal poddibility her current account is too.
Any legal claim hinges on witnesses reciting the accounts uniformly.

Her lawyers argue that she never termed her condition life-threatening. That was the pretext for the captain's order to have MD cops usher her off. Those seated nearby - who aren't either WN workers or acquainted with her - are the umpires.

Misdemeanor violations that followed her ejection comprise a separate, criminal case. If "mouthing off" becomes the airline's defense, they should write a quick check now and be done with it.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Nothing indicates she was ever re-seated. Notice the big gap in the lawyers' account between WN's making the offer and the demand that she deplane.

My hunch is that she raised enough of a ruckus the captain was called. He deemed her 'disruptive' and ordered MD cops to arbitrate. Finding a seat to suit her wasn't happening. The "life-threatening" claim was a hasty expedient.

The airline did apologize to her rather sheepishly:
The press release from her lawyers:

Originally Posted by Press Release
Professor Daulatzai's story has gone untold. She discussed her non-life threatening allergies to dogs with Southwest representatives upon entering the aircraft, and together they decided that she could manage by sitting away from the dogs towards the rear of the plane. Southwest allows for passengers to choose their own seats, and Professor Daulatzai found a seat comfortably distant from the animals. Contrary to the Southwest statement and various media reports, Professor Daulatzai never asked for the dogs to be removed from the plane, did not request an EpiPen, nor did she ever claim that her allergies were life threatening.
So mea culpa, the story is that the pax discussed the issue with the crew, and the crew/her mutually decided to find a seat away from the service animals, which Southwest allows because seating is not assigned.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phltraveler
So mea culpa, the story is that the pax discussed the issue with the crew, and the crew/her mutually decided to find a seat away from the service animals, which Southwest allows because seating is not assigned.
Point taken. She was re-seated and presumably things got more testy. If she persisted in raising the roof about the dogs, or just wouldn't 'let it go' then I understand the captain ordering her to leave. But if her "life-threatening" condition was a crew 'audible' SWA has some explaining to do.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:21 pm

While the criminal charges are seperate l'd assume the cops will testify in any civil suit and their reports of her behavior will used.

On the other hand I see no rational reason for the Captain to order her removed if she wasn't causing some sort of problem. The Captain always make the final decision.

Her account doesn't make sense to me. Why would the crew go out of their way to have her removed and be involved in the inevitable investigation?

I've see a lot of apparemt muslims on Southwest flights and never seen a pepblem.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:47 pm

I've see a lot of apparemt muslims on Southwest flights and never seen a pepblem.
What?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by theddo
I know who I believe. It isn't the professor. Has she been fired yet?
Given the work she does, she should be promoted.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by DisneyObsessed
True but usually people de-escalate when they realize that they no longer have an audience. And if force has to be used, there will be no viral videos about it.
So what , she could have stayed there for hours making life tough for thousands, as more and more flights disrutped as no gate a avaialble etc etc
Is the point that someone took a video ? I am glad there were videos clearly proving the police were correct in enforcing the law !!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
My proposal would be that in the summer, pets simply can't travel by air. Sorry, your pet can't go on vacation with you. *shrug*

I believe the airline cabin should be a shared space for humans. It simply isn't necessary to bring animals with you on airline flights.

(Obvious exception for legitimate service animals.)

Not that you have anything to worry about...they're currently permitted and it's not like Southwest listens to my ideas.
Summer, so lets say between Sydney and NY, in July or Jan, or almsot any time .

Why do you believe an airline cabin cannot take animals, I have never had a problem on board from ana animal, people, numerous times
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
So what , she could have stayed there for hours making life tough for thousands, as more and more flights disrutped as no gate a avaialble etc etc
Is the point that someone took a video ? I am glad there were videos clearly proving the police were correct in enforcing the law !!

I think you misunderstood me. As former law enforcement, I am thrilled that there was video in this case because it clearly (to me, at least) shows proper police procedure, a reasonable use of force, and protects the officers from false accusations.

As much as I am against offloading an entire plane and inconveniencing all of the other passengers, I do see it as a proper tactical move.

As we learned studying confrontations between School Resource Officers and students in the classroom setting, when you remove the audience, the antics usually cease. Also, civilian taken videos often fail to capture the entire confrontation from beginning to end, usually starting after the escalation. When this happens, the public makes judgments on the second half of the incident, where the use of force has already been deployed.

If the plane is offloaded it is much more likely that force will not be needed at all, justified or not.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Her version of events is ... that they decided to kick her off the plane for no real reason.
According to what I read, her version (or her lawyers') is that they did this because she's a Muslim.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
According to what I read, her version (or her lawyers') is that they did this because she's a Muslim.
Right.

Every bad thing that ever happens in this country to someone who is a non-white, non-male, non-upper-middle-class person is the result of prejudice.

All of it.

Only the 100000000th time I have heard it. Losing some sympathy here.
Kevin AA and SpinOn2 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

We'll see if the airline sticks with the "life threatening condition" excuse. Sometimes (illogically) a "disruptive or abusive passenger" tarnish is recast to "object of ridicule." But the 1525 crew went with a black-and-white policy not a tantrum.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
One of several reason the lawyers cite.

Her removal from the flight had nothing to do with allergies or safety concerns. Professor Daulatzai was profiled, abused, interrogated, detained, and subjected to false reporting and the trauma of racist, vitriolic public shaming precisely because she is a woman, a person of color, and a Muslim. This endangered the physical and emotional well-being of a pregnant woman, researcher, and teacher.
http://www.hallandsethi.com/blog/201...rlines-passen/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.