Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCP2016
YES!! I hope WN sues this woman and discourages this behavior. People like this should not get away scott free terrorizing the public and corporations.
"People like this" continue to be subsidized by WN's checks to atone for prior incidents. The more that pile up, the more zeroes. Imagine how many Asian Pacific kids might benefit from the "Gary C. Kelly Scholarship Fund."

Southwest is insular. AA, DL, UA and AS market themselves in Pacific Rim, Middle East, South Asia and Mediterranean countries. They recruit Muslim front line employees. They can't afford to be all #whiterage .

Re the BWI incident, the eyewitness called the exchange "a quiet conversation" that "wasn't so tense" until the MD cops walked on. Then, "it suddenly erupted into this big physical confrontation.”

Perhaps she was "terrorizing the public and corporations." And maybe Southwest expressed its public regret without thinking. I'm going with the eyewitness for now.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:35 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
From the few facts presented, Southwest made a reasonable decision.

While led many support animals are phony, many more provide a real service. The ADA laws on this are outside Southwest’s control, right or wrong. On the other side is a passenger stating an allergy without any medical documentation.

Given these facts, Southwest made the best decision possible under the circumstances.

While note really relevant, if I had a life threatening allergy, I’d be sure to discuss it with the airline when making the reservation. That would have avoided the problem since documentation could be brought and Southwest could have known not to book the pets.
The ADA isnt the relevant law here. It is the ACAA.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by howahya
There's another thread here about a family of 3 who were removed because they objected to having their baby's seat forward facing. Even though they agreed to comply, they were removed from the plane.

It seems that we must all be meek and quiet or we are at risk of being removed. I bet this woman was loud and insistent and that spelled "trouble" so they got rid of her. Degree of allergic reaction and skin color are probably irrelevant, or at least not the main factor.

Her citing a list of PC reasons for being removed doesn't really help her case. But she was also pregnant, and visiting a father undergoing surgery so SW will settle and apologize.

IMO there is no reason to drag a person off a plane like that unless they are some kind of physical danger to others. It wasn't handled well.
To the average person the use of force isnt pretty. Its just standard for police work. They are ordered to leave, and instead of doing what a responsible adult would do, they decide to be recalcitrant children. The way it is universally taught is... as them, tell them, make them. She was given ample opportunity to get up and leave like a person. She chose not to and had to deal with the consequences.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by theddo
The issue wasn't allergy, the issue was that she would die if a dog was on the plane (there were already 2) and she didn't carry any medications.

Considering how many "Fitness to fly" notes I've written in my day I do think they are a requirement.
Then she should not have been so self entitled and left the airplane.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by LegalTender
"People like this" continue to be subsidized by WN's checks to atone for prior incidents. The more that pile up, the more zeroes. Imagine how many Asian Pacific kids might benefit from the "Gary C. Kelly Scholarship Fund."
Precisely why Southwest should use this opportunity to put a stop to it. Why on earth should an airline set up a scholarship fund because a so-called adult passenger decided to be as immature as a kindergartener in a bad mood?

Southwest is insular. AA, DL, UA and AS market themselves in Pacific Rim, Middle East, South Asia and Mediterranean countries. They recruit Muslim front line employees. They can't afford to be all #whiterage .
What is the point of this racist drivel?

Re the BWI incident, the eyewitness called the exchange "a quiet conversation" that "wasn't so tense" until the MD cops walked on. Then, "it suddenly erupted into this big physical confrontation.”

Perhaps she was "terrorizing the public and corporations." And maybe Southwest expressed its public regret without thinking. I'm going with the eyewitness for now.
Yes. When the cops showed up, the perp turned a civil disagreement into a criminal one. When someone does that, and gets criminal charges, it doesn't eliminate civil remedies. Civil remedies are still available and restitution can be ordered to be paid.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Then she should not have been so self entitled and left the airplane.
Agree totally. LE commands are to be met with full and docile compliance.

But this mystery rule about a "medical note" to fly with major dog allergies needs to be published in black and white. Sounds too much like a fallback cover story.

Had the same "I don't feel comfortable" captain tried to offload a female soldier or a white catholic pregnant woman re-seated for allergy issues, the backlash would have been substantial.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:37 pm

Agree totally. LE commands are to be met with full and docile compliance.

But this mystery rule about a "medical note" to fly with major dog allergies needs to be published in black and white. Sounds too much like a fallback cover story.

Had the same "I don't feel comfortable" captain tried to offload a female soldier or a white catholic pregnant woman re-seated for allergy issues, the backlash would have been substantial.
I call BS on the deathly allergic to dog claim.

The woman was unstable and needed to be removed.

If she has that much of a condition, she best be looking for her bubble to live in.

http://dogtime.com/lifestyle/56357-can-die-dog-allergy

If she had an allergy, she should have her epi pen, and should have just removed herself from the situation and gotten on another flight.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
. . .

What is the point of this racist drivel?

. .

^^^
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:18 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Southwest has made a huge blunder here, by defending the decision to remove the customer based on their stated policy. Even if the policy was fine, which can be debated, they failed to recognize that the topic of emotional support animals is a heated one. It's a well-known fact that ESAs are a scam - many people bring their pets as ESAs and airlines under current regulation cannot question it, nor why the customer needs an ESA. There are so many people who abuse this policy.

Also, the dragging off is unnecessary. They clearly have not learned from United's Dr. Dao incident. You never call the cops unless it's a security issue.
It is necessary if you refuse to leave the airplane. and service animals aren't a scam. This woman was looking for trouble.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:24 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by justhere
It's already been asked and discussed in this thread but I'm always willing to learn. How do you get the person off the plane if they won't go willingly?

And should venue be a get out of jail free card?
I was on Southwest flight and drunk woman starts cursing next to lady and her kid. The flight attendants ask her to move to another seat she refuses and starts making racist remarks. So they tell her she has to get off plane. She refuses. 20 minutes later airport police come and remove her from flight and everyone cheers.

Even that doctor guy should have just gotten off the airplane. It was totally mishandled but if they ask you to leave just go.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:29 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by pinniped
Removing unnecessary animals from the passenger cabin is a "punishment" to very, very few and a benefit to many.

Animals don't personally bother me, but I believe the greater good is for them to be elsewhere than the cabin. Cargo hold or traveling by other means.
Well fortunately you aren't in charge. Tell the blind person that they can't have their seeing eye dog because sorry most people aren't blind. Ridiculous statement.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
When I buy a ticket to travel from point A to point B in a standard coach seat...

at a certain time, on a certain date...

I am really not sympathetic to either the person claiming a need for an ESA, or an allergy to dogs. I just want to be transported as agreed. I'd tell allergic person and the person needing the ESA to go charter their own flights and let the rest of us go.....
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by atomicfront
Even that doctor guy should have just gotten off the airplane. It was totally mishandled but if they ask you to leave just go.
Completely OT - there is another long-running thread in the UA forum if you wish to air your views.

And no, he should not have gotten off the plane.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
at a certain time, on a certain date...

I am really not sympathetic to either the person claiming a need for an ESA, or an allergy to dogs. I just want to be transported as agreed. I'd tell allergic person and the person needing the ESA to go charter their own flights and let the rest of us go.....
Unclear why SWA chose to identify the two dogs as "ESA and a pet." Saying "service animal" generates less flak and fewer crusaders.

For now, the airlines' hands are tied with ESAs.

But if they are going to impose dogs on travelers in a confined space, then make a PA in the gate area. A requirement to "proactively notify Southwest Airlines of any specific disability-related needs" doesn't discharge their obligations. Competing interests produce competing narratives.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unclear why SWA chose to identify the two dogs as "ESA and a pet." Saying "service animal" generates less flak and fewer crusaders.
Because they're NOT service animals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.