Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
The fact that the woman didn't have a HEPA mask (to keep herself alive from her "life-threatening allergy") is telling. Having medical documentation that says she can fly on a plane with dogs, just not pet them (because it would kill her), would allow her to stay.

No documentation, no HEPA mask, just a demand that the dogs be ejected ==> GET OFF
stormlover likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Tanic
Permit me.

The airplane goes nowhere until everyone is deplaned out of the confined metal tube. When everyone is safely in the terminal, trained managers and highly paid executives can make calm and informed decisions. How many news outlets will this video air on today? How much $$ will the ejected pax settle for? How much bad PR for WN?

Bad training provided to the FAs too. "Put your phones away!" looks like they're trying to cover something up.
Exactly. The police should not be called in to enforce what was essentially a corporate policy. Calling in the police is starting to seem more and more like simply a lazy way to solve a sticky problem: “Not my problem. Call the cops.”

The call for cellphones away was very much an effort to cover up.

Airlines. If you call in the police to enforce your corporate policy and somebody is dragged off, expect it to be taped. Expect it to go viral. Expect bad press. If you don’t want this, don’t call in the police and it won’t be taped. Enforce your own policies in a manner similar to what is described above—don’t expect the police to do it and for the taxpayers to pay for it.
PTravel likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by codex57
Involuntary bumping due to United's own fault.

vs

Not Southwest's fault at all. This one is very much self inflicted by the pax that was removed. And not very believable either.
----------
Sorry, I'm really referring to the use of brute force to evict someone from a flight.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Renard
Exactly. The police should not be called in to enforce what was essentially a corporate policy. Calling in the police is starting to seem more and more like simply a lazy way to solve a sticky problem: “Not my problem. Call the cops.”

The call for cellphones away was very much an effort to cover up.

Airlines. If you call in the police to enforce your corporate policy and somebody is dragged off, expect it to be taped. Expect it to go viral. Expect bad press. If you don’t want this, don’t call in the police and it won’t be taped. Enforce your own policies in a manner similar to what is described above—don’t expect the police to do it and for the taxpayers to pay for it.
It goes beyond a corporate policy, into a private property trespass, which is illegal and therefore a police matter.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mogadishoo
Remember all those Southwest United memes?

Well, ain't karma a b*tch?

OMG, were these done by Southwest or by random computer users? I never saw them.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------
Sorry, I'm really referring to the use of brute force to evict someone from a flight.
If it was up to you and you have to (for whatever reason) evict someone from a flight, who evidently doesn't want cooperate, what would you do then?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That makes no sense. If she says at the gate, "I can't fly if there are any dogs on board because I have a LTA"...(and there were)...why was she ever allowed on the plane at all?
She likely didn't ask at the gate, just like she doesn't ask before entering a restaurant or any other facility.

Anyways, she is a whack job, no doubt.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
I understand VDBing them, what I don't understand is why WN should be out the $ to compensate them in this case. It shouldn't be their responsibility to pay out because of another passenger's poor planning.
It's no different when a pax forces a plane to divert. The other pax get compensated for the delay, put on different flights, etc. Crazy pax likely gets fined and airline made whole. Cost of doing business.

We don't know the specifics of what was offered prior to the video, but I find it very hard to believe that they went straight to calling the cops without offering some alternatives to the lady in question after explaining the issue of her claiming a life-threatening allergy. I don't see inconveniencing the pet owners as a viable option.
If WN did offer alternatives, they would have said so. They would have stated their attempts to rectify the situation. There is no reason not to share this.

Last edited by Troopers; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:18 am

I have inside sources so here goes:
Flight attendant found out life threatening allergy and called Ops agent.
Ops agent confirmed life threatening and asked for medical certificate.
She was offered first flight the next day by Ops agent and asked to deplane.
Since she didn't deplane, three cops approached her one by one and asked her to deplane. Then the captain asked her to deplane. Cops then forced her off.

Asked to deplane because it was life threatening. If just allergy, they'd create a buffer zone. Needs a medical certificate dated in the past 10 days saying ok to fly despite life threatening allergies. Due to no certificate, ESA trumps allergy. If she had a certificate, it would be the first one (between ESA and allergy) to check in stays.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
No. It's like saying shoplifters should be fined/jailed but they shouldn't have their hands cut off. We live in a civilized society.
Here we go. Our expert on analogies now compares cutting off a hand, which causes damage that is not fixable and is permanent, to pushing a passenger off a plane.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
If it was up to you and you have to (for whatever reason) evict someone from a flight, who evidently doesn't want cooperate, what would you do then?
I have asked this twice. No answer.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I have asked this twice. No answer.
Very simple: cancel the flight
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Very simple: cancel the flight
Why not evacuate the airport as well?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:58 am
jvc

Nobody should expect to impose restrictions upon fellow pax (be they people, animals or peanuts) for personal reasons.
joshua362 and stormlover like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:34 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It goes beyond a corporate policy, into a private property trespass, which is illegal and therefore a police matter.
Not a lawyer, but pretty sure this isn't correct.

The passenger and the airline had a legal agreement for the passenger to be on the plane (document = boarding pass).

The airline can't just decide unilaterally that she's no longer welcome and is now "trespassing".

If, for policy reasons, she's to be removed, then it is a matter of company procedure. That is a civil issue and not a criminal issue. The police should not have intervened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.