Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
ETA: none of the major news outlets or blogger or even SWA that I read state that a flight next morning was offered.
Notwithstanding your reading preferences,

ABC News and [@airlinewriter] AP Aviation writer David Koenig are "major news outlets."

It doesn't even matter whether Southwest lied about making the offer.

It matters that they require no advance notice for boarding medical/emotional service animals. Insane. Half the following day's flights could have dogs and nothing in WNs system could inform burdened passengers.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Totally agreed as someone with food allergies. She upped the ante by saying that her supposed allergies were too severe to fly and the dogs would have to be removed, had no documentation of her allergy whatoever and according to some reports, asked the crew for an EpiPen:

The fact that this woman asked the crew for an epinephrine autoinjector tells me a few things:
  1. If she really had severe food allergies, she should be carrying her own. EpiPens are a prescription drug, you can't just hand them out like candy.
  2. You don't administer an EpiPen to prevent an allergic reaction from occurring. The only time you would use epinephrine in regards to an allergy is if someone is suffering severe anaphylaxis/going into anaphylactic shock.
  3. Even administering an EpiPen does not "solve" the problem of an allergic reaction. Epinephrine promotes opening of the airways/blood vessels so when your throat is swelling shut from a severe allergic reaction, you can continue breathing. It addresses the most severe and pressing symptom (not being able to breathe) on a temporary basis. EpiPens come in two packs for a reason, many patients have to administer a second dose before getting medical attention.
  4. Once you get to a hospital or ER, they basically administer antihistamines via IV and inject you with normal (non-autoinjector) shots of epinephrine until the allergic reaction subsides. This can take several hours.

I can avoid eating on a plane or bring my own food/order a special meal, and I can wipe down a tray table with an alcohol based wipe to sanitize it.

Let's even assume the allergy is actually real and severe enough and that the passenger was woefully uneducated on what lifesaving medication does (and not carrying her own). Then she still shouldn't have been allowed to fly, because at the point at which animals being in the cabin is an issue and she is unable to present a doctor's note saying that it would be fine, it shouldn't be allowed. Not to mention the issue that de-boarding several passengers with service dogs would potentially pose an issue on the relevant laws with disabilities.

(By the way, anyone in the US on FT with severe allergies - I highly recommend Auvi-Q over EpiPen. $0 out of pocket expense for it if you have commercial insurance in the US, much smaller than EpiPen and it talks through the administration, which might be helpful if family/friend/a stranger has to administer it).

Food allergies generally don't pose a problem if someone else is eating them. The exceptions being cross contamination of cooking surfaces/utensils, or being at a place where it is cooked for certain foods (if you're allergic to seafood, you shouldn't go to a hibachi grill - beyond cross contamination, the smell of it cooking in front of you can be severe enough). Cross contamination or preparation doesn't apply on planes (although when I do fly international, I notify the crew of my allergy just to be safe), and I have no problem with someone eating an egg mcmuffin or a slice of pecan pie in the seat next to me, or even a salad with egg on it.

The other exception would be peanuts as peanut dust can go airborne and cause issues (which is why Texas Roadhouse posts a huge warning that those with peanut allergies should not enter, since they serve buckets of them to everyone, and why some families with severe food allergies will avoid Delta [peanuts are one of the free snack options, at least in the past.])

However, if you have such a severe environmental allergy that a service animal being in another seat on the plane is going to be a problem, then you aren't fit to fly, period.

I have gone without regular meals on international flights when my special meals didn't make it(vegan ticks the boxes to eliminate my allergies except pecans, which generally aren't in airplane meals), although the crew is usually willing to throw bagged/boxed snacks with ingredient lists at me in those cases. But in the worst case scenario, I can control my allergy by simply not eating on the plane.
Wasn't Auvi-Q recalled?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I'm sure if WN attempted to resolve the situation, they would have stated so. They would outlined what they offered. But I guess you believe it makes more sense to withhold that information. Such a weak position to form your position
As has been pointed out, WN did try to resolve the situation but there's nothing requiring WN to tell the world what they did.

That aside, I'm not sure my "weak position" is any weaker than you stating categorically that they did nothing to resolve the situation. At least I didn't try to pass my opinion as fact.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:20 pm

I'm sure if WN attempted to resolve the situation, they would have stated so. They would outlined what they offered. But I guess you believe it makes more sense to withhold that information. Such a weak position to form your position
Of course.

I'm sure Southwest attempted to notify everyone, especially those who repeatedly proclaim their customer skills to be "piss-poor."
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
2 last thoughts:

An honored saying in aviation, "better to be down on the ground here wishing you were up in the sky then up in the sky wishing you were down on the ground"

If WN had guts, and why not given there are 4 or less choices to fly today, calculate monetary the damages from the delay and mis-connects this caused and sue the nudnik to make a point even if they don't collect a cent. I think the public would stand for it and honestly, they have little choice...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:34 pm

So somebody with a service dog can't be asked any questions but a person with an allergy has to have medical documentation in advance? Does that make sense to anyone?
The plane should be cleared before a passenger is forcibly removed. I know it's going to create a lot of inconvenience but look at the crap that happens now. Once the person sees the plane is being cleared and they are not going to go anywhere anyway, pretty obviously they are also going to leave.
LAX-1K likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by disalex
So somebody with a service dog can't be asked any questions but a person with an allergy has to have medical documentation in advance? Does that make sense to anyone?
Read the thread. After claiming that she has a life-threatening allergy to dogs, she would need documentation stating that she can still fly. Otherwise her presence risks diverting the flight. There's no need to ask the owner of a service animal any questions (unless your intent is to deny them accommodation).

The plane should be cleared before a passenger is forcibly removed. I know it's going to create a lot of inconvenience but look at the crap that happens now. Once the person sees the plane is being cleared and they are not going to go anywhere anyway, pretty obviously they are also going to leave.
Reasonable people, not to mention the cost of the delay, prefer that the offender be forcibly removed. Why should everyone else be punished? This isn't grade school or boot camp where group punishment is used to goad a bad person into behaving. On a plane, which is normal adult society, bad people simply get expelled.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:33 pm

It doesn't make any sense because that's not the rule. Service Animals and ESAs must be documented on request.

See this "guidance" from DOT;
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...rix.6-28-6.pdf

Here are some quotes (emphasis added);

3. Request documentation for service animals other than emotional support animals: The law allows airline personnel to ask for documentation as a means of verifying that the animal is a service animal, but DOT urges carriers not to require documentation as a condition for permitting an individual to travel with his or her service animal in the cabin unless a passenger's verbal assurance is not credible.
4.Require documentation for emotional support animals: With respect to an animal used for emotional support (which need not have specific training for that function), airline personnel may require current documentation (i.e.,not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional stating (1) that the passenger has a mental health-related disability; (2) that having the animal accompany the passenger is necessary to the passenger's mental health or treatment or to assist the passenger (with his or her disability); and (3) that the individual providing the assessment of the passenger is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his or her professional care. Airline personnel may require this documentation as a condition of permitting the animal to accompany the passenger in the cabin. The purpose of this provision is to prevent abuse by passengers that do not have a medical need for an emotional support animal and to ensure that passengers who have a legitimate need for emotional support animals are permitted to travel with their service animals on the aircraft. Airlines are not permitted to require the documentation to specify the type of mental health disability, e.g., panic attacks.
The major problem is that many people through ignorance or deceit confuse "Service Animals" and "Emotional Support Animals".

If you Google "Service Animals" you will get on the first page several "Registries" for Service and Support Animals. No registration is really required. These tend to be groups to provide documentation of ESA's including unneeded accessories like vests.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Sep 29, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In California a business can ask only two questions to determine if that individual's dog is a service dog: (1) whether the dog is required because of a disability, and (2) what work the dog is trained to perform. California law, like federal law, doesn't require that emotional support animals be allowed in public places. Unfortunately that is not the case under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) which governs travel on common carriers.

Under the ACAA, emotional support animals are recognized as service animals. However, DOT regulations permit carriers to request verbal assurances and documentation that the service animal is in fact a service animal. Further information can be found here:

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...rix.6-28-6.pdf

DOT suggests five steps to determine whether an animal is a service animal or pet – (1) obtain credible verbal assurance; (2) look for physical indicators on the animal (e.g., harnesses, vests); (3) request documentation for service animals if passenger’s verbal assurance is not credible; (4) request documentation for emotional support and psychiatric service animals; and (5) observe behavior of animal.

To obtain credible verbal assurances carriers are permitted to ask the following: Is this your pet? What tasks or functions does your animal perform for you?" “What has it been trained to do for you?” “Would you describe how the animal performs this task (or function) for you?” Carriers cannot ask about the person’s disability.

If a passenger seeks to travel with an animal that is used as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, carriers are not required to accept the animal for transportation in the cabin unless the passenger provides you current documentation (i.e., no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability) stating the following: (1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders--Fourth Edition (DSM IV); (2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination; (3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and (4) The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Under the ACAA, emotional support animals are recognized as service animals. However, DOT regulations permit carriers to request verbal assurances and documentation that the service animal is in fact a service animal.
That is not exactly correct. Under the ACAA (and The Fair Housing Act) both "Service Animals" and "Emotional Support Animals" are recognized and given similar accommodations but they are recognized as separate classifications.

Improperly identifying an "ESA" as a "Service Animal", may have consequences, especially since ADA does not recognize "ESAs", for example ESAs may be barred for from food service establishments or other venues while "Service Animals", as defined by ADA may not be.

Certain types of ESAs may not be carried on Aircraft including rodents, snakes or spiders which under the Fair Housing Act must be accommodated.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

I haven't read or heard what they tried. Explaining the situation is not trying other things.
"Get the .... off the plane now" isn't violence, and most likely their phrasing was kinder than that.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:27 pm

Yep, that's where WN failed. It got to that point without any attempt of resolving the situation. Physical force should be the last option, not the first option. That's where UA failed as well.
How do you know there wasn't "any attempt of resolving the situation"?

Do you really think the flight crew was informed by this woman that she had a life-threatening allergy and they immediately called the cops? Please!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:30 pm

If I had a life-threatening allergy to dogs, I'd have run off that plane.

I call BS!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I travel with a service animal. A real one, with real training.

Under the law, I am not required to notify the airline ahead of time. I dont n have to present any paperwork,

The person in question here was in the wrong. Any real allergy sufferer travels with an Epi-pen and Benadry.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
There is only one way to crack down on this BS of a "comfort animal".

The airlines need to fund enforcement of the laws prohibiting "mental health" licensees from diagnosing and prescribing without actually meeting and diagnosing the patient. That is illegal in all US jurisdictions.

This is real easy for investigators to prove.

The animal insult on commercial aircraft would almost cease if licensed persons were threatened.
PTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.