Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Algebralovr
I travel with a service animal. A real one, with real training.

Under the law, I am not required to notify the airline ahead of time. I dont n have to present any paperwork.
Airlines - other than Southwest - demand advance notice and paperwork to bring ESAs on board.

WN 1525 had "one pet and one emotional-support animal on the flight."

AA denies walk-ups.

Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:33 pm
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under the law, I am not required to notify the airline ahead of time. I dont n have to present any paperwork,

The person in question here was in the wrong. Any real allergy sufferer travels with an Epi-pen and Benadry.
          Please note that there were no service animals on board this aircraft, only a pet and an ESA. You and your animal assistant should be welcomed on aircraft and everywhere and anywhere else that you choose to go.
          NextTrip and Aussienarelle like this.
          Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

Under the law, I am not required to notify the airline ahead of time. I dont n have to present any paperwork,

The person in question here was in the wrong. Any real allergy sufferer travels with an Epi-pen and Benadry.
          Well I do not carry either of those. So are you saying my asthma attacks are not those of a real allergy sufferer?

I carry Ventolin for my allergic reaction to animal dander. In fact I needed to use the inhaler on a flight last December when someone merely walked past me boarding the flight with their animals (and I was not watching at the time but started sneezing and my airways closed up and the passenger sitting next to me needed to tell me they had come past me). I had already verified with the GA prior to boarding that I was not sitting near the animals.

In fairness, true service animals have not resulted in an asthma attack (to date).
          Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
          Originally Posted by Sjondorn
          If it was up to you and you have to (for whatever reason) evict someone from a flight, who evidently doesn't want cooperate, what would you do then?
          --------
          Offload everyone.

Fix up all delayed/misconnecting passengers (unfortunately, inevitable).

Re-board all other passengers once the trouble maker is "set aside".

Refund the troublemaker's ticket and bid them farewell while directing them to any other airline that flies where they want to go.

Announce the offending passenger's name and state of residence. Allow for a five minute photo op of the offending passenger since no one is going to put away their cell phones any way. The crybaby whiner will have their 15 minutes of fame on YouTube and other media while they have been dutifully shamed by their fellow passengers.

---Attention Airline Management --- (AS--.IN.--MANAGE--!!!!)....Time for actually handling matters like years ago when someone in charge didn't have to try to coddle some whiney crybaby at the cost of everyone else !! --- The passenger doesn't get to be in charge. Take it up later with airline management, your lawyer, the judge, King Solomon or whoever you want to advocate for you -- but not by causing your fellow passengers to be inconvenienced over your allergy, or itch, or politically correct agenda, etc.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Sep 30, 2017 at 11:14 pm
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
          Was she asked to leave?

Yes.

Did she leave?

No.

Did she 100% deserve to be treated like she was?

Absolutely.
          This post (and its "likers") epitomizes why our great nation is such shameful predicament today.

person with life-threatening allegy needs to produce certificate but pet-lover does not have to produce ESA proof?

What if one is allergic to dog when within two feet but not at all if it is few rows away?? What kind of certificate needed in that case?

BTW, lady seems to have played her cards wrong but was really disgusting to see that "get out of plane and then complain" commenter.

Wonder what guys with such mentality would have told Ms Parks on that bus or MKG on that SA train?

Last edited by desi; Oct 1, 2017 at 1:23 pm
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:35 pm
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
          Originally Posted by desi
          This post (and its "likers") epitomizes why our great nation is such shameful predicament today.

person with life-threatening allegy needs to produce certificate but pet-lover does not have to produce ESA proof?

What if one is allergic to dog when within two feet but not at all if it is few rows away?? What kind of certificate needed in that case?

BTW, lady seems to have played her cards wrong but was really disgusting to see that "get out of plane and then complain" commenter.

Wonder what guys with such mentality would have told Ms Parks on that bus or MKG on that SA train?
          I bet my life this woman has no such "life-threatening allergy."
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
          I bet my life this woman has no such "life-threatening allergy."
          Given the available details, your guess is most likely is correct.

Were she trying to get some better separation or was she trying to get pets removed?

Former is not unreasonable. Latter is preposterous.

Looking forward, what would e a good reasonable policy?

a) To minimize abuse of ESA.
          b) To address situation of people who have phobia of dogs in absolute vicinity (like next seat) but totally ok if the dog was few seats away.

Would WN be breaking any laws or social sensitivities of certain people, if they let service animal and genuine ESA board before genral boarding and put them in the last row (or first row or middle row) and then let thegeneral boarding begin? That way, people can decide how many rows away they want to sit and possibly only person getting stuck with animal is person with lowest priority and even that person should be given chance to exchange seats with person without dog phobia without being considered terrorist for requesting to change seats.

Last edited by desi; Oct 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:03 pm
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Were she trying to get some better separation or was she trying to get pets removed?

b) To address situation of people who have phobia of dogs in absolute vicinity (like next seat) but totally ok if the dog was few seats away.
          People get to bring on pets and lie about them being ESAs. That's the system. People with animals come before people. Southwest CANNOT turn the fake-ESAs away.

Yes, it's stupid. Of course.

You don't like it, complain to your congressman. Let us know how it goes.
          dlaue likes this.
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:09 pm

Passengers with ESAs do have to show "proof", fake or not, they have to show "proof".
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
          Well I do not carry either of those. So are you saying my asthma attacks are not those of a real allergy sufferer?

. . . In fairness, true service animals have not resulted in an asthma attack (to date).
          Huh? So, allergy symptoms only present when a pet walks by, but "true service animals" don't trigger a reaction?
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
          Originally Posted by Amicus
          Huh? So, allergy symptoms only present when a pet walks by, but "true service animals" don't trigger a reaction?
          I have been confused by this myself.

Generally the service animals have a coat/vest and so I am thinking that this may somehow stop the fur (but I am not certain).

I did not see how the pets came past me in December but they were in a carrier (when I last saw them) so I am wondering if somehow they were held at seat level and there was fur in the carrier - but that is merely a guess on my part as I did not see them come past me.
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
          Originally Posted by FlyingNone
          --------
          Offload everyone.

Fix up all delayed/misconnecting passengers (unfortunately, inevitable).

Re-board all other passengers once the trouble maker is "set aside".

Refund the troublemaker's ticket and bid them farewell while directing them to any other airline that flies where they want to go.

Announce the offending passenger's name and state of residence. Allow for a five minute photo op of the offending passenger since no one is going to put away their cell phones any way. The crybaby whiner will have their 15 minutes of fame on YouTube and other media while they have been dutifully shamed by their fellow passengers.

---Attention Airline Management --- (AS--.IN.--MANAGE--!!!!)....Time for actually handling matters like years ago when someone in charge didn't have to try to coddle some whiney crybaby at the cost of everyone else !! --- The passenger doesn't get to be in charge. Take it up later with airline management, your lawyer, the judge, King Solomon or whoever you want to advocate for you -- but not by causing your fellow passengers to be inconvenienced over your allergy, or itch, or politically correct agenda, etc.

So everyone has to be inconvieniences as one person will not obey the law, unload one, slight delay, unload all, huge consequences, amaazing why this is a big issue, so many ways she was wrong, if I was a pax i would have been happy to throw her off
          Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat

Simple, needing a service dog or ESA ( in law) is a right and a need, and does not effect others if properly controlled of course, having an allergy while regretable should not mean others are restricted in what they can do.
          And she can take medicine, wear a mask etc etc to take care of her self.

If you dont like this then campaign to change to law, till then, respect it, if she had she would not have needed dragging off the plane, she could have walked off head high
          Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:57 am

Would WN be breaking any laws or social sensitivities of certain people, if they let service animal and genuine ESA board before genral boarding and put them in the last row (or first row or middle row) and then let thegeneral boarding begin? That way, people can decide how many rows away they want to sit and possibly only person getting stuck with animal is person with lowest priority and even that person should be given chance to exchange seats with person without dog phobia without being considered terrorist for requesting to change seats.
          Well, to be technical, abuse of the ESA is in the mind of the person looking at other dogs/animals on board.

However, lying about your condition isn't opinion. That was fact.

And in this case, the good, reasonable policy is to arrest someone, which also helps to prevent others from trying the same thing.
          Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:44 am

She was not asked to provide proof of the life threatening allergy - they took her word for that. She was asked to provide proof that her life threatening allergy would not cause her life to be threatened mid flight - in other words, was safe to fly with dogs, when she changed her mind about her allergy, after she realized that the dogs were not getting booted.

If I were pregnant and my water broke during boarding, I would think that the airline would be within its right to boot me rather than risk in flight childbirth. Or if I had just had open heart surgery and disclosed to the airline that I might not be ready to fly they could require a doctor's note sitting that I was OK to travel.

And, for the epi-pen... when an epi pen is administered, the patient should be presented to an ER within 30 minutes of its administration. You can't guarantee that from 10,000 feet. epi-pens should not be considered routine as in "OK, I will intentionally expose my self to the life threatening allergen and just take a shot if I have to". They are for after an unintentional exposure to save life in an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.