Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

SWA Statement:

"We are disheartened by the way this situation unfolded and the Customer’s removal by local law enforcement officers. We publicly offer our apologies to this Customer for her experience and we will be contacting her directly to address her concerns. Southwest Airlines was built on Customer Service, and it is always our goal for all Customers to have a positive experience.

Initial reports indicate the Customer in the video stated that she had a life-threatening pet allergy, but she was unable to provide the medical certificate necessary to complete travel. There was one emotional support animal and one pet onboard the aircraft. Our policy states that a Customer (without a medical certificate) may be denied boarding if they report a life-threatening allergic reaction and cannot travel safely with an animal onboard. Our Flight Crew made repeated attempts to explain the situation to the Customer, however, she refused to deplane and law enforcement became involved.”
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Law enforcement takes woman off WN flight at BWI

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/0...er-pulled-off/

Service animal vs. allergy argument apparently.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Disgusting . The actual animal should have been removed. No one should put human above animal .

The default is that each tckt pax has a right to board the plane. If someone needs an animal to "accompany" them, then they must ensure that doesn't burden any other tckt pax. Your right to swing a fist (or dog) stops at my face.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Sep 27, 2017 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:39 am

I side with the humans on this. Shame on Southwest!
Boraxo and closecover like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
FA: "Ladies and Gentlemen please put your phones away (we don't want viral videos like UA)"
Yoshi212 and howahya like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Disgusting . The actual animal should have been removed. No one should put human above animal .

The default is that each tckt pax has a right to board the plane. If someone needs an animal to "accompany" them, then they must ensure that doesn't burden any other tckt pax. Your right to swing a fist (or dog) stops at my face.
If they're too unstable to fly without the animal, should they really be flying in the first place?

Yet another case of ESA bovine fecal matter.
joshua362, Boraxo, PTravel and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
I think the key issue here is if she really said on-board that she has a "life-threatening" dog allergy. Lots of people have dog allergies, less have "life-threatening" allergies and that's a serious issue that needs to be resolved before boarding.

Not saying she should be dragged off the plane but if they require medical clearance for someone saying they have a life-threatening allergy then she needs to provide it - how does she know a dog didn't sit on the floor at the seat she's in on the previous flight??

Southwest website says this:

Animal allergies

If a Customer is severely affected by allergies to an animal and notifies us of his/her allergy at the departure gate, we can ensure that the Customer with the allergy is seated as far away from the animal as possible.
Southwest is required by law to transport assistance and emotional support animals accompanying Customers with disabilities. Southwest requires that pets remain in an animal carrier throughout the duration of a flight. However, we cannot make such a requirement for assistance and emotional support animals. We also cannot require that Customers traveling with service animals provide advance notice of their intent to transport the animal. As such, we’re unable to provide advance notification if any animals will be traveling on a particular flight.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:39 am

From the few facts presented, Southwest made a reasonable decision.

While led many support animals are phony, many more provide a real service. The ADA laws on this are outside Southwest’s control, right or wrong. On the other side is a passenger stating an allergy without any medical documentation.

Given these facts, Southwest made the best decision possible under the circumstances.

While note really relevant, if I had a life threatening allergy, I’d be sure to discuss it with the airline when making the reservation. That would have avoided the problem since documentation could be brought and Southwest could have known not to book the pets.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Article stats One support animal and one pet onboard.

So what about the other passenger that had a pet in a carrier that they paid for? They followed the rules, provided the correct paperwork and paid their fee(s), do they get deplaned?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:44 am

Southwest has made a huge blunder here, by defending the decision to remove the customer based on their stated policy. Even if the policy was fine, which can be debated, they failed to recognize that the topic of emotional support animals is a heated one. It's a well-known fact that ESAs are a scam - many people bring their pets as ESAs and airlines under current regulation cannot question it, nor why the customer needs an ESA. There are so many people who abuse this policy.

Also, the dragging off is unnecessary. They clearly have not learned from United's Dr. Dao incident. You never call the cops unless it's a security issue.
Renard and closecover like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by envgeo

So what about the other passenger that had a pet in a carrier that they paid for? They followed the rules, provided the correct paperwork and paid their fee(s), do they get deplaned?
Yes, they get a refund of the fees. No animal is worth a human life. To be clear, I don't think someone with allergies should be able to dictate everything as I think nut allergists should not be able to keep others from eating nuts and nutbased snacks they bring.
closecover and canddmeyer like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Also, the dragging off is unnecessary. They clearly have not learned from United's Dr. Dao incident. You never call the cops unless it's a security issue.
Would you elaborate?

Imagine that you are a flight attendant and you instruct, rightly or wrongly, a passenger to deplane. The passenger refuses to follow your instructions. Please describe your actions in such situation.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Imagine that you are a flight attendant and you instruct, rightly or wrongly, a passenger to deplane. The passenger refuses to follow your instructions. Please describe your actions in such situation.
I have rentals and no cop would throw out someone with some proof of right to live there. I have to go thru courts for eviction Just sayin!

(of course, if I trick the person to leaving the house and change the locks, then its a civil damages issue for that person to litigate )
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:29 am

Remember all those Southwest United memes?

Well, ain't karma a b*tch?

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Would you elaborate?
Permit me.

The airplane goes nowhere until everyone is deplaned out of the confined metal tube. When everyone is safely in the terminal, trained managers and highly paid executives can make calm and informed decisions. How many news outlets will this video air on today? How much $$ will the ejected pax settle for? How much bad PR for WN?

Bad training provided to the FAs too. "Put your phones away!" looks like they're trying to cover something up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.