Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by eyeballer
It's completely different because an in-flight diversion is an emergency. Costs will be unavoidable at that point if lives are in danger. IMO, if it's a disruptive passenger causing a diversion the airline should pursue damages against them.

In this situation, you have a passenger claiming something and then not having required documentation. They are not approved to fly so I just can't see your view that taking the pets off the plane should be considered. Even if you take the pets off, she still wouldn't be approved to fly since pet dander is present on the plane!
Airlines eat the cost when pax actions results in delays or diversions, emergency or not.

Offering the dog paxs an alternative flight may not have been the "right" thing to do (in your mind) but it could have resolved the problem.

I'm sure it will, but as I said, I can't imagine they called the police before first explaining the situation to the passenger. We'll have to wait and see if that information ever emerges. In the mean time, in no way should the fact that SWA didn't say it in their initial statement mean it didn't happen.
WN did explain the situation to the lady before calling the cops.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by justhere
You're not comparing apples to apples. The inside of an airplane is very different than the inside of a store. On the plane you've generally got one way in and out via an aisle that is at best a couple of feet wide. If someone, as in this case, decides they don't want to cooperate they are leaving the LEO's with very little choice.

At least in a store you've generally got wide aisles, etc. And even then, if someone is resisting and decides they aren't going to cooperate and walk, there's enough room for multiple officers to restrain the person and carry them off with their hands and feet tied.
The point is that people behaving badly shouldn't be treated this way. In the words of UA's Munoz on the Dao incident: "I continue to be disturbed by what happened on this flight and I deeply apologize to the customer forcibly removed and to all the customers aboard. No one should ever be mistreated this way. "
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Troopers

Offering the dog paxs an alternative flight may not have been the "right" thing to do (in your mind) but it could have resolved the problem.
No, it would've only caused a bigger problem.

How did this lady know that the dog was a comfort/support animal? We have discussed umpteen number of times on these boards that the airlines can't ask questions. I certainly doubt this woman knew why the dog was on board...and many people here have just commented that support animals documentation is being abused, without any knowledge themselves.

And if you kick off a paying customer with a support animal of any time, now the airline is running afoul of federal regulations. The person with the dog probably had the doctor's note...which is a lot more documentation than the lady claiming her allergy issue.

What happens on the next flight if someone doesn't like dogs? Do we just keep bumping them until we get 100% satisfaction from the passengers?
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
No, it would've only caused a bigger problem.

How did this lady know that the dog was a comfort/support animal? We have discussed umpteen number of times on these boards that the airlines can't ask questions. I certainly doubt this woman knew why the dog was on board...and many people here have just commented that support animals documentation is being abused, without any knowledge themselves.
As it pertains my comment to offer dog paxs an alternative flight, it's irrelevant if lady knew if the dog was comfort/service animal or not. She's allergic to dogs, all dogs.

And if you kick off a paying customer with a support animal of any time, now the airline is running afoul of federal regulations. The person with the dog probably had the doctor's note...which is a lot more documentation than the lady claiming her allergy issue.
I didn't say kick off the dog paxs (IDB). I said offer them a alternative flight with compensation (VDB).

What happens on the next flight if someone doesn't like dogs? Do we just keep bumping them until we get 100% satisfaction from the passengers?
Yep, until it's generally know that results in a fine and banned for life.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
The point is that people behaving badly shouldn't be treated this way. In the words of UA's Munoz on the Dao incident: "I continue to be disturbed by what happened on this flight and I deeply apologize to the customer forcibly removed and to all the customers aboard. No one should ever be mistreated this way. "
How should they be treated? "Please cooperate, you're hurting my feelings". People who choose to behave badly should not expect to have that behavior rewarded.

Whether or not things could have been done differently before it got to the point it did is obviously up for debate as has been done in this thread. But once it got to the point it did, even if WN had deplaned all other passengers, she was likely going to be dragged off anyway. If she won't willingly walk off the plane she's also choosing to force the officers' hands.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:00 pm

How should they be treated? "Please cooperate, you're hurting my feelings". People who choose to behave badly should not expect to have that behavior rewarded.

Whether or not things could have been done differently before it got to the point it did is obviously up for debate as has been done in this thread. But once it got to the point it did, even if WN had deplaned all other passengers, she was likely going to be dragged off anyway. If she won't willingly walk off the plane she's also choosing to force the officers' hands.
Yep, that's where WN failed. It got to that point without any attempt of resolving the situation. Physical force should be the last option, not the first option. That's where UA failed as well.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
She wasn't "behaving badly", she was violating federal law by refusing to obey a crewmember instruction.

Given her claim of a medical condition, the option was to offload her or cancel the flight.

I can't think of a reason that 100+ others who are guilty of nothing more than having the bad judgment to book the same flight as this woman, ought to be disadvantaged.

The difference is that these are real law enforcement officers who know how to arrest an uncooperative person and train for it. The Dao thing when wrong when what passed for law enforcement at ORD bungled it.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yep, that's where WN failed. It got to that point without any attempt of resolving the situation. Physical force should be the last option, not the first option. That's where UA failed as well.
I thought that I read that the captain even came and talked to her first. Presumably the FA's did too. Or are you saying that you have first hand knowledge that the lady was just sitting there minding her own business when the LEO's showed up and without asking her to accompany them they just started grabbing, pushing, and dragging her down the aisle?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:37 pm

Physical force wasn't the first option, they tried other things first.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:52 pm

I thought that I read that the captain even came and talked to her first. Presumably the FA's did too. Or are you saying that you have first hand knowledge that the lady was just sitting there minding her own business when the LEO's showed up and without asking her to accompany them they just started grabbing, pushing, and dragging her down the aisle?
Originally Posted by theddo
Physical force wasn't the first option, they tried other things first.
Cite source. I haven't read or heard what they tried. Explaining the situation is not trying other things.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:14 pm

Cite source. I haven't read or heard what they tried. Explaining the situation is not trying other things.
Ok, I'll play.

Cite source. If you haven't read or heard what they tried how do you know that it got to that point without any attempt of resolving the situation?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

"Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said the airline offered to rebook her on a flight the next day, but she declined."
WRAL

Last edited by LegalTender; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Ok, I'll play.

Cite source. If you haven't read or heard what they tried how do you know that it got to that point without any attempt of resolving the situation?
I'm sure if WN attempted to resolve the situation, they would have stated so. They would outlined what they offered. But I guess you believe it makes more sense to withhold that information. Such a weak position to form your position
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Then yea, she should have been removed by the cops.

ETA: none of the major news outlets or blogger or even SWA that I read state that a flight next morning was offered.

Last edited by Troopers; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
via Imgflip Meme Generator
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.