Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
Do not post referral offers or requests in this thread. All such posts will be deleted.

This thread is dedicated to Q&A about the Chase RR Visa signup bonus offers.

Post important Chase RR Visa news in the RR Visa News ONLY thread. (It will quickly get lost in this thread.)

Post or look for referral offers ONLY in the RR Visa referrals thread in the referrals thread of the credit card forum.

75,000 miles bonus for all Southwest Airlines personal credit cards.

40K + 20K personal Plus
offer:
$1,000 spend in three months for 40K. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K + 20K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

70K Performance Business Card offer. $5,000 spend in three months. $199 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Plus offer $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Plus offer: $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Business Premier offer. $3,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 07-July-2017

50K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Plus offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K Business Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

There have been targeted offers of 50K & $100 credit, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24575935-post2302.html

Frequently Asked Questions about Rapid Rewards Visa

1. What are the different card types?
non-business Plus, non-business Premier, business Plus, and business Premier.
Premier cards have a higher annual fee but give 6000 anniversary bonus points vs. 3000 points for the Plus cards. It is generally agreed that you will get the bonus for a new account if you have not had that particular type of RR Visa card before, but Chase appears to be in the process of changing their policies (see below).

Note that prior to RR-2.0, the two types of RR Visa cards were "Classic" ($29 to $39 annual fee) and "Signature" ($59 to $69 annual fee). Plus and Premier are new products for purposes of the (soon to be retired?) "One bonus per product" rule.

2. Is there a zero annual fee version?
No.

3. Can I "churn" these cards? How often can I reapply for the same type card and get the signup bonus?
The official rule has recently changed more than once. Closely check the T&C of your offer as different rules may apply to concurrently available offers. The Inflight offer linked above states:
This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past twenty four months.
Referral offers have been seen with a limit of one individual and one business bonus per lifetime (although T&C read by the CSR taking the application differed from those printed on the referral offer).

Actual results sometimes differ from the official rule. People have reported receiving the bonus a second time on the same card type at various intervals even when the bonus was officially once per lifefime per product. Please post your results here.

As of mid-May 2015 Chase has cracked down on applicants who appear to have much less than average attachment to their cards. Specifically, more than 5 applications within the past 24 months is the approximate cutoff: Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

4. Can I cancel the card and still collect the anniversary bonus?
Yes. Reasonable people disagree on whether this crosses the line of exploiting the card issuer. The anniversary bonus is described a reward for having been a cardmember for the past year, not as a reward for paying the next year's annual fee. Based on that description, the bonus has been earned even if you then cancel the card. As a practical matter, there is a window of only a couple weeks to accomplish this. The bonus points will post on the billing date of the statement containing your new annual fee, which will have posted earlier in the billing cycle. You have 30 days from posting of the annual fee to cancel the card and have the new fee refunded.

5. Does the annual fee count toward the spending threshold for the signup bonus?
No.

6. When will my signup bonus post to my Rapid Rewards account?
If you have met the spending threshold at least several days before your statement date, the bonus will normally post 2 days after your statement date, not when you actually spent the money! Cutting the timing or the spending amount too closely is not advisable. Mistakes can happen.

7. My statement shows sufficient purchases to meet the spending threshold. Why didn't I receive the bonus?
This can happen if you met the spending threshold just a few days before the statement date. It appears that accounts are flagged for meeting the spending threshold independently of the statement generation process and less frequently than daily.

8. How can I determine my statement date?
You should call Chase (phone number on back of card) to check your next statement date. Credit card companies are now required to have payments due on the same numerical day of each month, which means closing dates vary throughout the year. (Before reforms enacted after the financial crisis, RR Visa cards had constant closing dates rather than constant due dates.) The closing date should remain within the same small range unless you request a change of your payment due date. When you request a change, Chase normally can delay your next statement but cannot accelerate it. If you are unwisely taking the risk of cutting your timing too close, you should call Chase more than once to confirm your next statement date.

9. I accidentally crossed the spending threshold in December rather than January. Can I return a large purchase to bring my spending back below the threshold?
Unlikely. It appears that the sweep to check spending threshold does not un-flag an account previously flagged as meeting the threshold. It's not even clear whether the sweep counts returns at all. If you realize the error before the statement closes and you have a payment due date change available, you might be able to push the December closing date into January.

10. Can I apply for a credit card in my wife's name but my Rapid Rewards number, so that the points funnel into my account?
People have tried this. Some have succeeded. Others have reported that Chase closed the account and posted no Rapid Rewards points. Do you feel lucky? Programs can become very aggressive when they suspect members of defrauding the program by using non-matching names. When you game the system you are only on solid ground if you follow the rules to the letter. Breaking the rules means that the program can penalize you if they want to, and believe me: They want to.

11. Can I scam this system in any other way? I just had a clever idea.
There is nothing new under the sun here on FlyerTalk. If it relates to established program rules and it isn't discussed here you can be confident your idea will not work.
Print Wikipost

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:40 pm

I applied for the Premier Business and got the "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days." message.

There is an 800 number to call, but I can't find it in the Wiki. Can someone point me toward it?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by photomikey
I applied for the Premier Business and got the "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days." message.

There is an 800 number to call, but I can't find it in the Wiki. Can someone point me toward it?
The typical advice in FT's Chase forum is NOT to call but to wait for the letter or for delayed approval without a call. This is different than the conventional wisdom of a few years ago.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:56 am

Interesting. OK. I guess I'll wait, then.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by photomikey
Interesting. OK. I guess I'll wait, then.
I applied on the 3rd for the Plus and got the same message. Today a new account showed up on my Chase login.

If you're curious, you can call the automated line, (800) 432-3117, just don't try to talk to anybody. I called yesterday, and the message was 30 days in writing we will let you know. Today, the message is you've been approved and they give APR, credit limit, etc. through the automated voice.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
To follow up I called Chase 3 days after getting the "pending" message and was routed to a different “recon” line due to the fraud alert on my Exp. report. After verifying my identity I was instant approved for $35k ^ which was a bit surprising as I normally have to shuffle my CLs.

Now the next question is the timing for the second application, debating between another personal card or the business card ...

Originally Posted by nsx
The typical advice in FT's Chase forum is NOT to call but to wait for the letter or for delayed approval without a call. This is different than the conventional wisdom of a few years ago.
I saw a blog post recently to this effect regarding apps for the business card; however my experience has always been positive when calling about a personal card app.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:24 pm

60K personal cards appear dead, 60K business still looks ok
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
As posted in the RR News sticky, Chase and SWA just went big in California.

For those who don't already have the RR Visa, live in California, targeted with the email, has not taken a new RR customer bonus in the past 24 months, get a free CP valid until 12/31/2018 with just one purchase on the card. Plus 40k at $1k spend. You don't get the points related to the CP, just the CP itself. No need for multiple cards to get the points for CP. Annual fee applies immediately.

Everyone who has recently applied living in California obviously missed out on this much simpler offer.

Pretty incredible, but pretty crazy with what has been happening with Southwest on these CP promos. I can't think of a more direct Chase promotion and frankly indicates the obvious CP earning games Chase RR cardholders have been doing for years. Not having the points is perhaps a miss, but the 40k bonus on top is there.

I can't think of a bigger start bonus for this RR card in the history of the Chase/SWA venture.

Rasheed
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Originally Posted by rasheed

For those who don't already have the RR Visa, live in California, targeted with the email, has not taken a new RR customer bonus in the past 24 months, get a free CP valid until 12/31/2018 with just one purchase on the card. Plus 40k at $1k spend. You don't get the points related to the CP, just the CP itself. No need for multiple cards to get the points for CP. Annual fee applies immediately.

Everyone who has recently applied living in California obviously missed out on this much simpler offer.

Pretty incredible, but pretty crazy with what has been happening with Southwest on these CP promos. I can't think of a more direct Chase promotion and frankly indicates the obvious CP earning games Chase RR cardholders have been doing for years. Not having the points is perhaps a miss, but the 40k bonus on top is there.

I can't think of a bigger start bonus for this RR card in the history of the Chase/SWA venture.

Rasheed
I just got this email. My only uncertainty is the 5/24 rule application. I would qualify for this no problem, UNLESS Chase has it's 5/24 in effect for this offer. Note: I don't see the 5/24 language anywhere on the t&c's; only that I wouldn't qualify if I received a RR bonus in the past 24 months.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Rasheed

I would rather spend the $4k, get CP for an extra year ( 12/31/2019) and have another 80K plus points to use to pay for companion pass holders ticket instead of using cash to pay. Unless a person has a lot of WN points receiving only 40K will get you MAYBE 2 round trips and then you are paying cash for one ticket.

Originally Posted by funtrainsf
I just got this email. My only uncertainty is the 5/24 rule application. I would qualify for this no problem, UNLESS Chase has it's 5/24 in effect for this offer. Note: I don't see the 5/24 language anywhere on the t&c's; only that I wouldn't qualify if I received a RR bonus in the past 24 months.

5/24 has never been mentioned in the T&C's AFAIK.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 9, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by funtrainsf
I agree, the Chase all-cards 5/24 rule is not listed in the fine print. Many people who got the offer are well over the 5/24 (churners) from my read. I just don't apply for many cards (hard enough meeting spend requirements for promotions/bonuses on cards I already have).

The problem is I believe the 5/24 all-cards rule is not typically mentioned on Chase offers (only the 24 months within the current bonus card), so I think it is still a fail for those who have exceeded the limit.

Rasheed
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not sure that is true as Chase has often been willing to permit people to get the latest offer when terms are changed during the process. However I think the window will be pretty limited.

Also keep in mind the CP is only good for one year. So those who were planning to finish the qualification spend in early-January would be giving up a full year of CP (2019). On the flip side, customer who apply using the new targeted CA promo don't have to worry about when the qualifying charges post and could potentially use CP for travel in November & December.

As a CA resident who literally just applied last week and just got the new offer, I am not sure which road I like better but leaning towards the 2-year CP.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not sure that is true as Chase has often been willing to permit people to get the latest offer when terms are changed during the process. However I think the window will be pretty limited.

Also keep in mind the CP is only good for one year. So those who were planning to finish the qualification spend in early-January would be giving up a full year of CP (2019). On the flip side, customer who apply using the new targeted CA promo don't have to worry about when the qualifying charges post and could potentially use CP for travel in November & December.

As a CA resident who literally just applied last week and just got the new offer, I am not sure which road I like better but leaning towards the 2-year CP.
You have much better deal with two 60K cards IMO.

First off you are at least 2/24 so best case scenario you could get one more personal card in the next year and stay under 4/24 which would be needed to get CP via credit cards for 2019.

You also have 80K more WN points to pay for the CP holders ticket vs using cash.

Unless a person already has a bunch of WN points 40k will only get a person ~ 2 roundtrips and then you have to pay cash for one ticket

If you are under 5/24 you should grab the 60K business card before it goes away.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Consider if you do this deal now, you can go for 2019/2020 CP late next year.

If things stay the same.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Consider if you do this deal now, you can go for 2019/2020 CP late next year.

If things stay the same.

Plus the person would have to be 3/24 or under come December 2018, since they just applied for one card to get CP with this new deal that means come December 2018 they could have only opened two personal cards since December 2016.

Unless a person already has a lot of WN points ~40K isn't going to go far. I'm sure WN like the idea of people paying $$ for one ticket vs using points.

What makes CP of great value to us is we use points to book all of our reservations so it's actually 2 free tickets.

I'm sure the deal works for some (and those who didn't jump on the 60K personal offers have already missed out) but I would much rather do two 60K cards and be locked into CP for nearly two years plus have an extra 80K points to pay for flights with. I plan on adding the 60K business card for my wife at some point in 2018 for even more WN points.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by flyer4512
...I'm sure the deal works for some (and those who didn't jump on the 60K personal offers have already missed out) but I would much rather do two 60K cards and be locked into CP for nearly two years plus have an extra 80K points to pay for flights with. I plan on adding the 60K business card for my wife at some point in 2018 for even more WN points.
But not everyone can do the spend that the two cards would require. The "CALIF" CP makes it easy for the "average" traveler without a lot of spend to get and use the CP... At least for a little while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.