Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
Do not post referral offers or requests in this thread. All such posts will be deleted.

This thread is dedicated to Q&A about the Chase RR Visa signup bonus offers.

Post important Chase RR Visa news in the RR Visa News ONLY thread. (It will quickly get lost in this thread.)

Post or look for referral offers ONLY in the RR Visa referrals thread in the referrals thread of the credit card forum.

75,000 miles bonus for all Southwest Airlines personal credit cards.

40K + 20K personal Plus
offer:
$1,000 spend in three months for 40K. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K + 20K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

70K Performance Business Card offer. $5,000 spend in three months. $199 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Plus offer $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Plus offer: $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Business Premier offer. $3,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 07-July-2017

50K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Plus offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K Business Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

There have been targeted offers of 50K & $100 credit, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24575935-post2302.html

Frequently Asked Questions about Rapid Rewards Visa

1. What are the different card types?
non-business Plus, non-business Premier, business Plus, and business Premier.
Premier cards have a higher annual fee but give 6000 anniversary bonus points vs. 3000 points for the Plus cards. It is generally agreed that you will get the bonus for a new account if you have not had that particular type of RR Visa card before, but Chase appears to be in the process of changing their policies (see below).

Note that prior to RR-2.0, the two types of RR Visa cards were "Classic" ($29 to $39 annual fee) and "Signature" ($59 to $69 annual fee). Plus and Premier are new products for purposes of the (soon to be retired?) "One bonus per product" rule.

2. Is there a zero annual fee version?
No.

3. Can I "churn" these cards? How often can I reapply for the same type card and get the signup bonus?
The official rule has recently changed more than once. Closely check the T&C of your offer as different rules may apply to concurrently available offers. The Inflight offer linked above states:
This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past twenty four months.
Referral offers have been seen with a limit of one individual and one business bonus per lifetime (although T&C read by the CSR taking the application differed from those printed on the referral offer).

Actual results sometimes differ from the official rule. People have reported receiving the bonus a second time on the same card type at various intervals even when the bonus was officially once per lifefime per product. Please post your results here.

As of mid-May 2015 Chase has cracked down on applicants who appear to have much less than average attachment to their cards. Specifically, more than 5 applications within the past 24 months is the approximate cutoff: Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

4. Can I cancel the card and still collect the anniversary bonus?
Yes. Reasonable people disagree on whether this crosses the line of exploiting the card issuer. The anniversary bonus is described a reward for having been a cardmember for the past year, not as a reward for paying the next year's annual fee. Based on that description, the bonus has been earned even if you then cancel the card. As a practical matter, there is a window of only a couple weeks to accomplish this. The bonus points will post on the billing date of the statement containing your new annual fee, which will have posted earlier in the billing cycle. You have 30 days from posting of the annual fee to cancel the card and have the new fee refunded.

5. Does the annual fee count toward the spending threshold for the signup bonus?
No.

6. When will my signup bonus post to my Rapid Rewards account?
If you have met the spending threshold at least several days before your statement date, the bonus will normally post 2 days after your statement date, not when you actually spent the money! Cutting the timing or the spending amount too closely is not advisable. Mistakes can happen.

7. My statement shows sufficient purchases to meet the spending threshold. Why didn't I receive the bonus?
This can happen if you met the spending threshold just a few days before the statement date. It appears that accounts are flagged for meeting the spending threshold independently of the statement generation process and less frequently than daily.

8. How can I determine my statement date?
You should call Chase (phone number on back of card) to check your next statement date. Credit card companies are now required to have payments due on the same numerical day of each month, which means closing dates vary throughout the year. (Before reforms enacted after the financial crisis, RR Visa cards had constant closing dates rather than constant due dates.) The closing date should remain within the same small range unless you request a change of your payment due date. When you request a change, Chase normally can delay your next statement but cannot accelerate it. If you are unwisely taking the risk of cutting your timing too close, you should call Chase more than once to confirm your next statement date.

9. I accidentally crossed the spending threshold in December rather than January. Can I return a large purchase to bring my spending back below the threshold?
Unlikely. It appears that the sweep to check spending threshold does not un-flag an account previously flagged as meeting the threshold. It's not even clear whether the sweep counts returns at all. If you realize the error before the statement closes and you have a payment due date change available, you might be able to push the December closing date into January.

10. Can I apply for a credit card in my wife's name but my Rapid Rewards number, so that the points funnel into my account?
People have tried this. Some have succeeded. Others have reported that Chase closed the account and posted no Rapid Rewards points. Do you feel lucky? Programs can become very aggressive when they suspect members of defrauding the program by using non-matching names. When you game the system you are only on solid ground if you follow the rules to the letter. Breaking the rules means that the program can penalize you if they want to, and believe me: They want to.

11. Can I scam this system in any other way? I just had a clever idea.
There is nothing new under the sun here on FlyerTalk. If it relates to established program rules and it isn't discussed here you can be confident your idea will not work.
Print Wikipost

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pkerr
But not everyone can do the spend that the two cards would require.
Prepay your electric bill online for the next 12 months. Or incur a 2% fee and pay property tax online. There are many, many ways to put $4000 on credit cards without spending more than you do now, other than fees of up to $90.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

But not everyone can do the spend that the two cards would require. The "CALIF" CP makes it easy for the "average" traveler without a lot of spend to get and use the CP... At least for a little while.
IMO if a person doesn't have $4K that they can float they are in the wrong game and will sooner or later end up paying interest but the bean counters know this and these are the people that make what we do possible.

We don't MS and will buy $4K worth of Costco, Hyvee and Visa gift cards come ~ 1/1/18.

40K miles will only go so far so if they get any real use out of CP they will end up spending a lot of $$$ on the tickets they have to buy.

If it works for them great but even if offered to me I would pass for multiple reasons.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 10, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by nsx
Prepay your electric bill online for the next 12 months. Or incur a 2% fee and pay property tax online. There are many, many ways to put $4000 on credit cards without spending more than you do now, other than fees of up to $90.
Sure there are... but again, not everyone can pay a years worth of utilities, cable, cell , etc. in a month.

That's why that CALIF CP is great. No need to do any spending. At least not like that.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by flyer4512
IMO if a person doesn't have $4K that they can float they are in the wrong game and will sooner or later end up paying interest but the bean counters know this and these are the people that make what we do possible.

We don't MS and will buy $4K worth of Costco, Hyvee and Visa gift cards come 1/1/18.

40K miles will only go so far so if they get any real use out of CP they will end up spending a lot of $$$ on the tickets they have to buy.

If it works for them great but even if offered to me I would pass for multiple reasons.
We aren't talking MFG'ing here (and I agree about staying out of the game without "extra" $ available.)
For the couple who travels maybe a couple of times a year, the CALIF CP would enable them to increase that because they are only having to pay for the one ticket.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

We aren't talking MFG'ing here (and I agree about staying out of the game without "extra" $ available.)
For the couple who travels maybe a couple of times a year, the CALIF CP would enable them to increase that because they are only having to pay for the one ticket.

IMO buying and sitting on $4k Gift cards is not MS. It's merely having $4K and buying gift cards, MS gets that $4k back into cash. I don't pay any fees to do what I do.

As I said, it works for some but we do about 6 CP trips a year and have never paid for one ticket.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:24 am

As I said earlier in the thread: I was approved for both Plus and Premier on same day and Chase said January 23 was the last day to meet the 2k spend on each.

This is probably a case of paralysis by analysis, but after reading some things, I want to make sure I'm approaching the timing of the minimum spend correctly. My plan is to put about $1,500 on each card through the rest of the year, and then cross over the 2k mark on each in the first week of January.

If I understand correctly, that should trigger the 120k bonus points in 2018 and qualify me for the CP for 23 months. Correct? I was just starting to get a little confused reading about 90 days versus 115 days, December statement dates, and instances of bonuses posting early. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by RMZ2006
As I said earlier in the thread: I was approved for both Plus and Premier on same day and Chase said January 23 was the last day to meet the 2k spend on each.

This is probably a case of paralysis by analysis, but after reading some things, I want to make sure I'm approaching the timing of the minimum spend correctly. My plan is to put about $1,500 on each card through the rest of the year, and then cross over the 2k mark on each in the first week of January.

If I understand correctly, that should trigger the 120k bonus points in 2018 and qualify me for the CP for 23 months. Correct? I was just starting to get a little confused reading about 90 days versus 115 days, December statement dates, and instances of bonuses posting early. Thanks.
The difference between the 90 days and the 115 days seems to be a sort of grace period allowing Chase time to review, approve and deliver cards. If you have the spend by date in writing from Chase you should be good.

The Statement Date is important because the spend needs to be credited to the account a few days before the Statement date to be Credited for the spend. The Bonus is generally issued a few days after the Statement the final spend is on. As far as I have seen not making it by the Statement Date merely delays the Bonus until the next Statement and doesn't affect whether it is issued or not. That would reduce the period of the CP by a month which may not matter to you.

Early Bonuses are generally due to unexpected charges or in some cases returns or credits on the account, which are not handled as expected causing the spend to be credited early. Sometimes Chase has reportedly unexpectedly changed the Statement Date.

I personally would not cut it as close as $500 in the last month.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I personally would not cut it as close as $500 in the last month.
Are you suggesting I plan to spend more or less in early January to hit the 2k mark? Maybe more of a 1k in 2017, 1k in early January split would be appropriate? And why? The risk of the bonus triggering early?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 am

@rsteinmetz70112

Can you expand on why you wouldn't cut it as close as $500? Would you target more spend in the first few days of January (to leave room against the bonus hitting unexpectedly early)?

FWIW, these cards won't be used for recurring purchases, so I don't expect to overlook any purchases prior to the close of 2017, and I'm much less concerned with getting 23 (or 22) versus of 24 (or 23) months of the CP than making sure I have it for the remainder of 2018 and all of 2019. So better safe than sorry works for me here.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
@rsteinmetz70112

Can you expand on why you wouldn't cut it as close as $500? Would you target more spend in the first few days of January (to leave room against the bonus hitting unexpectedly early)?

FWIW, these cards won't be used for recurring purchases, so I don't expect to overlook any purchases prior to the close of 2017, and I'm much less concerned with getting 23 (or 22) versus of 24 (or 23) months of the CP than making sure I have it for the remainder of 2018 and all of 2019. So better safe than sorry works for me here.
You will probably be alright with a $500 buffer as long as you are careful and no fraudulent charges go through. You definitely don't want any bills to be set up with auto pay with this card. But I would also suggest taking away any authorized user cards from anyone who may have them. Hide them in a safe place until you are ready to start spending again. The last thing you would want would be for someone to ruin your well thought out plans by causing you to hit your minimum spend early.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
You will probably be alright with a $500 buffer as long as you are careful and no fraudulent charges go through. You definitely don't want any bills to be set up with auto pay with this card. But I would also suggest taking away any authorized user cards from anyone who may have them. Hide them in a safe place until you are ready to start spending again. The last thing you would want would be for someone to ruin your well thought out plans by causing you to hit your minimum spend early.
Last year we had a person report fraud and their bonus posted early ( in the wrong year) so that is an excellent point.

We are just waiting until ~ 12/31 to do the entire spend so the cards won'teven be used before then which greatly reduces any chance of fraud.

We have plenty of other spends to work on before 12/31 so our purchases won't be "wasted".

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 11, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:33 pm

Thanks @Critterlynn

No automatic payments, no authorized users. Maybe I'll leave myself a little more than $500 just in case something fraudulent pops up somehow, though. Good thought.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
@rsteinmetz70112

You should read the threads about the CP from the last few years that ran at about this time.

All this stuff was covered in EXTREME detail.

Have you ever had a merchant accidentally run a charge twice? Or for the wrong higher amount? Not fraudently, just a glitch or computer error or honest mistake and reversed immediately? That will trigger the bonus if you hit the minimum and Chase will not fix the erroneous CP effective date.

Fraud was mentioned above. Had a guy get his number skimmed by a merchant (taxicab as I recall) and fraudulently used. Bad charge was of course reversed. Early CP anyway.

Every year we get a number of people who end up somehow accidentally getting the CP in the second half of December.
flyer4512 and RMZ2006 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:04 pm

Are you suggesting I plan to spend more or less in early January to hit the 2k mark? Maybe more of a 1k in 2017, 1k in early January split would be appropriate? And why? The risk of the bonus triggering early?
I'm not suggesting anything really, but I'd personally be more comfortable leaving a larger cushion more like $1,000 per card. I easily spend more the $2,000 a month on credit cards so I'd just do more of it in early January using the new cards. Your situation may be different.

A couple of years ago someone (probably a hotel or restaurant employee) used one of my cards to make a $700 purchase while we were on vacation. It was easily reversed and caused no further problem but it could have wrecked any bonus plan.
RMZ2006 likes this.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:24 pm

I got the Premier personal card a few weeks ago and was approved instantly. I then applied for the Premier Business card...
Originally Posted by photomikey
I applied for the Premier Business and got the "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision by U.S. mail. This could take up to 30 days." message.

There is an 800 number to call, but I can't find it in the Wiki. Can someone point me toward it?
Someone replied back to me...
Originally Posted by nsx
The typical advice in FT's Chase forum is NOT to call but to wait for the letter or for delayed approval without a call. This is different than the conventional wisdom of a few years ago.
I took this to heart and didn't call.

Today, both my personal card and my business card showed up in the mail, no questions asked. So I guess it works!
discojo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.