Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by ursine1
Seriously?

What am I missing here? How is it "abuse" to take advantage of bonuses as offered?

Did he do something against the rules?
I think nsx's point is that the more people who take advantage of the current situation that (and vocally demand that) the Chase CC bonuses count as CPQPs, the more likely WN is to enforce the following part of the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations (and end the CC sign-up bonuses counting as CPQPs days):

Purchased points and points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and Partner bonuses do not count toward Companion Pass status.
In other words, drawing more attention and demanding a CP based on what may simply be an IT coding error is more likely to end the "glitch" than simply patiently waiting (for a few days) for the "glitch" to occur would.

If WN can have only 600 of my 1200 or 1800 car rental count as CPQP, I think they could figure out how to not have the 50k CC bonus count as CPQP if they decided to dedicate resources to do so.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:54 am

"Tier Status Pending". It's almost a joke at this point.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by snangel
I applied for the card late Oct. Got the card in November. Reached $2k spending on statement that closed yesterday 1/14 but only 2K showed on my RR acct today. Called chase and they said the 50K won't post until 6-8 weeks later. I'm reading on here and everyone seems to post right after closing date. Did I mess up somewhere? The Chase website is useless for RR details. It still says 0 earned for everything even though 2K already posted to the SW website. Do I have to pay first so that's why I have to wait 6 weeks? The 3 month requirement is when I reached the spending not when I paid, right?
What do you see on your statement for points earned, 2000? That would be something to check just to verify Southwest posted how much Chase said.

When did you finish the $2K spending? There seems to be a delay in triggering the bonus so if you finish the spending too close to your statement date it won't catch it. "Too close" is within a week or so. As long as you have the $2K done (and you're not counting the annual fee in that), the bonus should post a couple days after your next statement closes.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
If WN can have only 600 of my 1200 or 1800 car rental count as CPQP, I think they could figure out how to not have the 50k CC bonus count as CPQP if they decided to dedicate resources to do so.
Ok, I understand what you're saying now... but I didn't realize that anyone ever considered the situation as a "glitch," since -- even with Southwest's myriad of technological issues -- it would be very hard to believe they'd let one so large continue for so long.

If Southwest or Chase decide to end CPQP's status of the bonus points, I suspect the decision will be made on a cost/profit analysis basis, speaking to the total numbers of credit card customers vs outliers who may game the system.

I agree it's not good form to "demand" your CP after perhaps exploiting the system to your benefit, but no one here has really indicated they were going to do so.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
If Southwest or Chase decide to end CPQP's status of the bonus points, I suspect the decision will be made on a cost/profit analysis basis, speaking to the total numbers of credit card customers vs outliers who may game the system.

I agree it's not good form to "demand" your CP after perhaps exploiting the system to your benefit, but no one here has really indicated they were going to do so.
I disagree (but admit "demand" was a bit strong on my part - it's more like "draw attention to") - people seem to be calling WN, and using WN resources to expedite the activation of their CP, which, IMHO, will lead to the accelerated halt of Chase CC sign-up bonuses counting as CPQPs. I don't think people should be calling to expedite their CP being activated unless they have an immediate flight need for it. And, there seem to be a lot of people calling WN and drawing attention to their exploitation of this perk (which makes it more likely to be killed-off):

Originally Posted by kaminski6
I called now to ask when I would receive my priority boarding ticket for being an A list customer... and the gentelman said I do not have a list status, and that the 100k points I have in bonus do not count towards it...
Originally Posted by dajoip
From what I've heard/read, you can call SW as soon as you've reached 110k and give them your info and that should expedite the process - should take a week or two after that to receive it.
Originally Posted by shawntobi
I talked directly to the person who adds CP. I had to call the special number, as I wanted it to post immediately.
Originally Posted by lazyy
I got mine. had to call customer relations to update it.
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Got my Companion Pass at 100% today! Now to call them and get the ball rolling :-)
Originally Posted by sheepherder
My wife just received enough points for the companion pass today and its showing up on her rapid reward account as 117,000 points and 100% to her companion pass.

When I called WN the person I spoke to had no clue and said that the companion pass was only good for next year not this year.
But, there are some people showing patience and restraint (to try and keep this deal going by avoiding unnecessary attention and WN CSR resources to it) too:

Originally Posted by rdeppen
I've been hesitant to call and draw any attention to it. I would have thought two weeks would have been enough time for them to wrap up last year's activity?
Originally Posted by Tmpy
How long do I have to wait until they recognize status? I don't want to call and draw attention to myself earning 114000 pts by Jan. 13th.
Originally Posted by Philbullock1223
I also don't want to call and draw attention.
I doubt using CC sign-up bonuses will be an option for people to qualify for CP in 2014 (probably sooner) given the amount of attention people are drawing to it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Just a thought.... I'm pretty sure the WN CS agent isnt losing sleep over the call to check on CP. guess is call is processed like any of the ther 100 plus calls per agent in a day..What the worry would be, is a EOY report showing 60 pct earning CP without flying. IMO....what's the worry of drawing attention... The rules were set by WN, you (whoever) followed them, and earned CP...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Yeah. It's a bit extreme to suggest that it's possible to "draw attention" to something Southwest already knows full well about.

If it dies, cost/profit will kill it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
Just a thought.... I'm pretty sure the WN CS agent isnt losing sleep over the call to check on CP. guess is call is processed like any of the ther 100 plus calls per agent in a day..What the worry would be, is a EOY report showing 60 pct earning CP without flying. IMO....what's the worry of drawing attention... The rules were set by WN, you (whoever) followed them, and earned CP...
Yeah. It's a bit extreme to suggest that it's possible to "draw attention" to something Southwest already knows full well about.
Of course WN knows about this - they have the detailed information in their databases and reports and lurkers on this forum. But, a company has to determine (a) if the effort to change the current situation is worth benefit that it will receive (b) while comparing that value-added to the value-added from other efforts that could be undertaken with the company's finite resources. The processing of Chase CC sign-up bonuses as CPQPs is not profitable for WN and is contrary to their own CP Rules & Regs. So, changing it is most likely on the company's list of projects (and it may require cooperation from Chase). But, how high-up on that list is it (especially, with AirTran integration, HOU expansion, possible international routes, etc. also on that list)? Do we really want to draw attention to this item and, possibly, push it up that list?

The Worry of Drawing Attention: I have no doubt the WN CSR on the phone doesn't care - but, the WN CSR has a manager, who has a boss, who....all report up. And, the WN CSR may talk about all the calls they keep getting to activate a companion pass in January with their manager, who may report up that a lot of folks are exploiting the system. People run organizations and if those people become annoyed with having to deal with entitled customers who exploit a "glitch" in the manner partner bonuses post (as not only RDMs but also CPQPs) in a customer's account (or any costly benefit for that matter), they're more likely to fix it sooner rather than later. Or, a manager may want to move up in the organization and look for a way to save cost to the company and propose fixing this glitch as a way to make a name for her/himself by saving the company money.

So, I ask you: What is the benefit of unnecessarily drawing attention to this system glitch when the automated system lets folks enroll their designated companion on-line reasonably soon after a CP is earned?

If it dies, cost/profit will kill it.
I agree - except, I think it's not an "If" but rather a "When" this dies. And, I have no desire to contribute to its accelerated death.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by facula
What do you see on your statement for points earned, 2000? That would be something to check just to verify Southwest posted how much Chase said.

When did you finish the $2K spending? There seems to be a delay in triggering the bonus so if you finish the spending too close to your statement date it won't catch it. "Too close" is within a week or so. As long as you have the $2K done (and you're not counting the annual fee in that), the bonus should post a couple days after your next statement closes.
Yes my statement balance matched what was posted on Southwest.
Oh I didn't know that spending too close to statement date will cause it to post on next statement. I met the spending on 1/11 and statement closed 1/14. So I guess I'll have to wait until 2/14 to see the bonus posted? It will still count within 3 month period, right?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I think the posting on FT about it, has more potential to end the bonuses, over the calls to WN CS......this is all in writing, here on FT. But I understand the point
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
I think the posting on FT about it, has more potential to end the bonuses, over the calls to WN CS......this is all in writing, here on FT. But I understand the point
Correct..also keep in mind, the airlines DO dedicate resources to flyertalk and do read these forums... They also can just type "how to get companion pass southwest" in Google and see all the bloggers..hehe. Let's not do all of the information gathering for them

Last edited by stealph; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm Reason: addition
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 pm

We disagree on your point about which has more impact - I think calling WN CS takes CSRs's time, which costs WN $$, which I think WN cares more about than internet message boards that they don't have to read - but, I understand where you're coming from (and, of course, I could be proven wrong when it dies).

But, I bet we agree that blog posts have more potential to end the bonuses than either posting on FT or calling WN CS!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:46 pm

I'll agree that increased knowledge of a particular exploit has an impact on whether that exploit remains viable, but only in that it ultimately increases the numbers of flyers doing so, perhaps skewing the numbers projected by the carrier.

But... isn't that a primary reason Flyertalk exists?

I disagree with the assertion that telephone calls to WN to activate a CP earned through a legitimate method have any influence.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:00 pm

Difficulty understanding which point go toward companion pass

Has anyone else had difficulty figuring out which points are basic points and which points go to the companion pass AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE using the credit card?

It sure would be nice if when you make a purchase AND THE EXACT MATH OF WHICH POINTS GO WHERE were readily available PRE-CALCULATED before you make the purchase decision.

Last edited by John Scorsone; Jan 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm Reason: grammer error
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by John Scorsone
Has anyone else had difficulty figuring out which points are basic points and which points go to the companion pass AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE using the credit card?

It sure would be nice if when you make a purchase AND THE EXACT MATH OF WHICH POINTS GO WHERE were readily available PRE-CALCULATED before you make the purchase decision.
What are you asking? All of the points you get from using a WN Chase card are CPQP. They shouldn't be according to the T&C, but they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.