Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by indyscott
Unless something has changed in the past few months, TY points can be redeemed for Southwest flights. However, it must be done via telephone instead of online.

I did this successfully early last year, so apologies if something has changed in the interim and my info is out of date...
Well, if true, it makes using the SW credit card, once past the $2000 spend, nonsensical. You can use the TY card instead and get 2.66 cents per $1 of spend, still use your companion pass, and get tier qualifying points. The only downside is the more favorable cancellation for points reservations. Also, the 2.66 cents holds for all fare categories, not just WGA.

Thanks much.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:38 am

Finally updated. I'm 96% of the way there ^
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Well, if true, it makes using the SW credit card, once past the $2000 spend, nonsensical. You can use the TY card instead and get 2.66 cents per $1 of spend, still use your companion pass, and get tier qualifying points. The only downside is the more favorable cancellation for points reservations. Also, the 2.66 cents holds for all fare categories, not just WGA.

Thanks much.
If I understand TY points correctly this assumes that you are earning enough flight points to cover your spending. ie. If you are spending $20,000 per year you would have to fly 20,000 miles to get the flight points to convert and achieve that 2.6 ratio. Not all of us are flying that much.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by hindukid
If I understand TY points correctly this assumes that you are earning enough flight points to cover your spending. ie. If you are spending $20,000 per year you would have to fly 20,000 miles to get the flight points to convert and achieve that 2.6 ratio. Not all of us are flying that much.
Yup, that's right.

Really though? I mean, anyone who would prefer 2.6 cents for airline tickets instead of 2 percent cash back seems to fly a fair amount. Note that it also applies to tickets bought for others. And, as I mentioned (though beyond this thread) there are some tricks to get miles even on award redemptions. (For me, it's easy -- I ask friends and family to let me buy their tickets for them and to reimburse me. One cross-country trip for a family and you're set with more flight points than you can use.)

For someone who files almost entirely on award tickets, I understand your point. I think for most of us, it's completely the other way around. My spend can't come close to keeping up with my banked flight miles on my TY account.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Probably a dumb question, but when applying for both a biz and a personal card, are you putting your RR number on the application or leaving it blank and combining the points?

Thanks. Total noob question even though I've been doing this for a year.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by bchips
Probably a dumb question, but when applying for both a biz and a personal card, are you putting your RR number on the application or leaving it blank and combining the points?

Thanks. Total noob question even though I've been doing this for a year.
You know what when I applied there was no place for me to enter in my RR# on the business application (or I somehow missed it). After I applied and was approved I called Chase and had them put in the correct number. I would think you'd want to have the number on there. That way you don't have to worry about them saying the points won't count towards your CP for some reason.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar

Thanks much.
What about for double-points categories with the WN Visa?

3.33 cents value. Of course, cashing those in won't get you TQPs.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What about for double-points categories with the WN Visa?

3.33 cents value. Of course, cashing those in won't get you TQPs.
Yes -- absolutely. I think I mentioned that above. The problem is that the double points categories for SW are pretty meagre. Then again, so are the TY, although they experiment with specials sometimes (like giving bonus points for holiday shopping and stuff).

Clearly, it's not a one-size fits all proposition, but I just though that some of you using the SW credit card for 1:1 points spending might like to know of a possible different option out there. The TY card, in my view, is very underrated. I find myself burning through TY points -- and I really like that I can use them on flights and still get elite credit and stuff.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:24 am

Question about earning companion pass

So I applied for the personal Southwest card last April and got the 50000 points. I didn't find out till December about combining the personal and business to get 100000 points towards the companion pass. I just got my business card in the mail. Is there ANY other way I can earn another 50000 bonus points to go with the ones I will get from the Business card? I can't apply for another personal one right? Could I have my husband apply for a personal card and just use my rapid rewards number?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ath1985
So I applied for the personal Southwest card last April and got the 50000 points. I didn't find out till December about combining the personal and business to get 100000 points towards the companion pass. I just got my business card in the mail. Is there ANY other way I can earn another 50000 bonus points to go with the ones I will get from the Business card? I can't apply for another personal one right? Could I have my husband apply for a personal card and just use my rapid rewards number?
Welcome to Flyertalk, ath1985!

Well, there are 2 versions of the personal card and 2 of the business, if I recall right (Premier and Plus). Chase may or may not allow you to get another in your name in this calendar year.

Some folks (I seem to remember) have reported successfully using his/her spouse's application and his/her own WN number, but obviously it is against the T&Cs. Might work, probably would not, might get caught and have all your points confiscated (both of you).

My suggestion would be to get hotel points or credit cards with points you can transfer in (e.g., Choice, Wyndham, Hyatt, Marriott, Chase Ultimate Rewards (thought you have to launder them through another program), Amtrak [with limits]).
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: United MP Silver, Club Carlson Gold, SW CP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Priv Gold, SPG Gold
Did I miss out on 50k miles?

So, this is my first post ever on flyertalk...

I'm a noob getting overwhelmed with all these deals and tricks of award travel...

Anyway, I was really excited to find out about the Southwest Chase Card, but an online search only finds 25k miles per card... Did I miss out on the 50k deals?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:34 pm

How to get the Rapid Reward points to post?

Sorry I'm new to this. What are the exact steps to get the 104k RR points to post? For my 1st statement, I paid the annual fees and I didn't see any points posted to my Southwest or Chase accounts. I'm close to spending the $2k minimum on each card and wondering how I can ensure the RR points post correctly. Is there a way to check if Chase has my RR member # entered correctly? Once I hit the minimum spending, do the 104k RR points post directly to my SW account or do I have to transfer the points from Chase to SW online? Or can it only be done by calling Chase or SW? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by gatorlionhawk
So, this is my first post ever on flyertalk...

I'm a noob getting overwhelmed with all these deals and tricks of award travel...

Anyway, I was really excited to find out about the Southwest Chase Card, but an online search only finds 25k miles per card... Did I miss out on the 50k deals?
The plus cards are still offering 50K while the premier cards are down to 25K.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by snangel
Sorry I'm new to this. What are the exact steps to get the 104k RR points to post? For my 1st statement, I paid the annual fees and I didn't see any points posted to my Southwest or Chase accounts. I'm close to spending the $2k minimum on each card and wondering how I can ensure the RR points post correctly. Is there a way to check if Chase has my RR member # entered correctly? Once I hit the minimum spending, do the 104k RR points post directly to my SW account or do I have to transfer the points from Chase to SW online? Or can it only be done by calling Chase or SW? Thanks for your help!
You would need to past your minimum spend and the points will appear on your Southwest Rapid Rewards account a few days after your statement closes for the period after your minimum spend. You can call the number on the back of your cards to verify that they are linked to the correct RR's account. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dajoip
My tier status finally updated last night and my Companion Pass status indeed shows that I'm about halfway there...

Another update - 2nd bonus posted today, I should now be able to get the rest of my points and the CP by early February!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.