Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dork77
I spoke to them the other day and two separate reps said that it's only 3 times for the life of the pass, not per year. Also, if you assign someone first, then change that, then try to go back to the first, it will count as two separate changes.
A fundamental principle that all FlyerTalkers should know: If you don't like the answer, be polite and end the call. Call back as many times as needed to get the answer you like. With phone reps, inaccurate and inconsistent knowledge is a universal rule. On an obscure question like this I'm not sure that there even is an official answer.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:33 pm

The t&C seem pretty clear that it's 3 changes during the "validity period of the pass," which elsewhere seems to be defined as the remainder of the calendar year in which the pass is earned plus the following calendar year.

Anyone who gets more than 3 changes would seem to be operating against the T&C. Doesn't mean SW won't let it happen or that it's not a rule observed in the breach, but I don't think I'd be too comfortable relying on being able to make more than 3 changes no matter what someone said on the phone unless I could get it in writing or otherwise documented somehow.

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...and_conditions
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by zink88
Yep...same status here. In addition, my statement on the personal Visa closed on January 6 and the miles from my purchases posted, but I have yet to get the 50K bonus. Total spend on my first statement (December 6) was just over $900. Total spend on the Jan 6 statement was over $1300. I hit the $2000 spend on January 3.

Just crossed the $2000 spend on my business Visa yesterday with statement closing on Jan 14. Hopefully the 50K bonus from that spend will post more quickly.
Whew, glad I'm not the only one. I received my WN personal card last week, made a single purchase of $2100 and now am working on spending for my WN biz got a few weeks for the statements to cut but I want to see how many extra points I need to accrue to get this done.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
Still showing Tier Status Pending on my account. We are now day 11 into the month. Are the Southwest IT systems really this bad!?!

The 50k bonuses after 2k of spend showed up from my personal and business cards the day after my January 6th statement close date on each card. Still a few thousand short of companion pass otherwise I'd be getting antsy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:17 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by mtftw
Whew, glad I'm not the only one. I received my WN personal card last week, made a single purchase of $2100 and now am working on spending for my WN biz got a few weeks for the statements to cut but I want to see how many extra points I need to accrue to get this done.
That's odd. My personal card statement closed on Jan 6. and SWA website showed the 50K+ the next day. I'm just hoping the business card miles post just as quickly because I want to use the companion pass in February!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:19 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
This is probably a stupid question... but the miles that count towards the companion pass are just the miles earned and it doesn't matter if I then use some of them for a flight (meaning my balance drops). As long as they were earned this year that's all that matters. I can spend them as I earn them if I want. Correct?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
This is probably a stupid question... but the miles that count towards the companion pass are just the miles earned and it doesn't matter if I then use some of them for a flight (meaning my balance drops). As long as they were earned this year that's all that matters. I can spend them as I earn them if I want. Correct?
Correct.

Counter goes from Jan 1 to Dec 31 and otherwise does not change unless you add to it with appropriate activity.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Big Problem

I applied for both biz and personal card. Had my closing date changed from dec 28 to jan 2. Chase never processed new close date. And guess what, my first 50 k bonus posted in December and my biz bonus will post this month. So I'm screwed. What should I do?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtmnyc00
I applied for both biz and personal card. Had my closing date changed from dec 28 to jan 2. Chase never processed new close date. And guess what, my first 50 k bonus posted in December and my biz bonus will post this month. So I'm screwed. What should I do?
Call Chase and beg. Likely will not work, but you never know.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Call Chase and beg. Likely will not work, but you never know.
Chase MIGHT have the ability to pull 50k back from Southwest and then re-send it. Nobody has ever reported a pullback happening for any reason, though.

Southwest might give you break but I wouldn't if I were in their shoes. When they have a chance like this NOT to reward gaming behavior they will want to take it.

Since Chase is at fault here, I might be tempted to try buying a $50k refundable item, let the points post, then return the item for a refund. Maybe then Chase would figure out how to pull back points. You can even tell them to go ahead and do it, since would already have your CP. I'd bet this would put you on permanent black list at Chase.

The best advice I can give you is to accept that you win some and you lose some. Live and learn. There will be other deals in the future. The Amex Daily Getaways in March or April provide some opportunities to buy hotel points which you can transfer for your CP this year.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Let's see if I can get this right. I always miss something. The only way I can keep up with it is like this:

There are three stacks of points: TQP, CPQP and RRP (Rapid reward points.)

Every time points are earned, points are added to one or more stacks.

TQP's are from flying and spend on the Premiere Card ($10K gets 1500 points, no prorating, 15K max points per calendar year). At the end of the year, WN takes all of the TQP's and you start a new year at 0. 25K in your stack gets A-List. 50K gets A-List Preferred. You get the status for the remainder of the year in which it was earned and the following year.

CPQP's are from such things as flying, partners, transfers, and CC sign ups, but there are limits such as the 600 point partner limit and others. See the Wiki for details. 110K in your stack gets a CP. You get the CP for the remainder of the year in which it was earned and the following year. At the end of the year, WN takes all of the CPCP's and you start a new year at 0.

RRP's come from everywhere. Your stack only gets smaller when you spend them for something or you do not add or take from your stack in 23 months at which time your account will be closed and your stack disappears.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Let's see if I can get this right. I always miss something. The only way I can keep up with it is like this:

There are three stacks of points: TQP, CPQP and RRP (Rapid reward points.)

Every time points are earned, points are added to one or more stacks.

TQP's are from flying and spend on the Premiere Card ($10K gets 1500 points, no prorating, 15K max points per calendar year). At the end of the year, WN takes all of the TQP's and you start a new year at 0. 25K in your stack gets A-List. 50K gets A-List Preferred. You get the status for the remainder of the year in which it was earned and the following year.

CPQP's are from such things as flying, partners, transfers, and CC sign ups, but there are limits such as the 600 point partner limit and others. See the Wiki for details. 110K in your stack gets a CP. You get the CP for the remainder of the year in which it was earned and the following year. At the end of the year, WN takes all of the CPCP's and you start a new year at 0.

RRP's come from everywhere. Your stack only gets smaller when you spend them for something or you do not add or take from your stack in 23 months at which time your account will be closed and your stack disappears.
You are essentially correct. Although I have not heard of the 600 point partner restriction.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by jtmnyc00
What should I do?
Fly Southwest?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
You are essentially correct. Although I have not heard of the 600 point partner restriction.
Not a "limit" or "restriction" actually, but in almost all cases when you get a bonus offer from, say, a car rental or hotel stay, only the first 600 are CPQPs. The extra points to make up the bonus are not.

I do seem to recall at least one exception, but exceedingly rare.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
The Amex Daily Getaways in March or April provide some opportunities to buy hotel points which you can transfer for your CP this year.
Since Wyndham has just royally screwed its members looking to use points for hotel stays, likely there will be less competition for them this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.