Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by peoriaimpaler
Question: What happens if I earn the companion pass after my next cc cycles closes, but then I return some items? Nothing planned or sinister, but I ordered a bunch of dresses for a wedding, and definitely won't be keeping them all. Thanks
I would return the items using a different credit card. I purchased some items at ToysRUs with my SW card that were duplicates gifts and returned them with my Marriott Visa card. I did not want to take any chances.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:23 am

If WN refunds you for not taking a flight, in a WN credit, could you theoretically add a companion and then not take the flight and get credited back the ticket price, but the companion could still fly as long as you still check-in?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
If WN refunds you for not taking a flight, in a WN credit, could you theoretically add a companion and then not take the flight and get credited back the ticket price, but the companion could still fly as long as you still check-in?
Anything is theoretically possible, but the computer is supposed to catch that during boarding.

Would not want to play around and risk losing my CP and all my points and 1.0 awards.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
I'm sure that if this worked someone would have posted about it here. That has never happened. Employees have posted that the ops agent checks that the CP earner is on the flight and that his or her absence can delay a flight.

To anyone who decides to try this: Please report your results here. C'mon, take one for the team!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:37 am

01/23 7,200 RR Transferred Wyndham points
01/25 52,007 RR Chase CC Personal
01/26 52,006 RR Chase CC Biz

01/26 Notification on WN website of CP achieved. AWESOME!!!

Really no need to call CS. Now waiting for wife's points to post.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by cruiserfever
01/23 7,200 RR Transferred Wyndham points
01/25 52,007 RR Chase CC Personal
01/26 52,006 RR Chase CC Biz

01/26 Notification on WN website of CP achieved. AWESOME!!!

Really no need to call CS. Now waiting for wife's points to post.
Congrats. My wife and I are going for the double CP as well. Almost two years of CP flying with our 3 year olds will be awesome.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
Congrats. My wife and I are going for the double CP as well. Almost two years of CP flying with our 3 year olds will be awesome.
My wife and I are pretty excited to get the CPs. We have 3 kids so at least two flights would be taken care of plus the fact WN now flys to Puerto Rico. It opens up the possibility of island hopping to St. Maarten, St. Croix, St. Thomas, and Dominican Republic on Jetblue for very minimal miles or dollars. Every dollar we can save to fly a family of 5 around helps.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry if this is a really simple question, but are those of you hustling to get CP so fast first timers catching it for this year plus '14? I ask because I've CP'd the last 3 years running and usually catch the coming year by about late june/ early July- (currently @ 21%) all BIS. I throw all my card expenses on my AA card and rack up big miles there (and keep points w/ Hertz as well) so no WN transfers.

I consider myself fairly clever but can't see a reason in my case to put the early CP hustle on as long as I make it by at least end of Q3. I missing something?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I'm sorry if this is a really simple question, but are those of you hustling to get CP so fast first timers catching it for this year plus '14? I ask because I've CP'd the last 3 years running and usually catch the coming year by about late june/ early July- (currently @ 21%) all BIS. I throw all my card expenses on my AA card and rack up big miles there (and keep points w/ Hertz as well) so no WN transfers.

I consider myself fairly clever but can't see a reason in my case to put the early CP hustle on as long as I make it by at least end of Q3. I missing something?
Can only speak for myself but I just activated my first CP and I figured the earlier this year I could obtain the CP the more time I will have to use it this year as well as next year.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrBill64
Can only speak for myself but I just activated my first CP and I figured the earlier this year I could obtain the CP the more time I will have to use it this year as well as next year.
Yes, 1st time activation pays to get it as early in the year as possible. Re- qualification should be done as late in the year as possible with earning going to better return cards. Just don't play around and make it too late.

As for me, I get CP and A+ ASAP and then move over to the Amex for hotel points. My work schedule can change instantly and get me stranded in November with 80K and no way to get the 30K more.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrBill64
Ahhh good for you. Congratulations!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:16 am

Data point:

1. Initiated transfer of Hyatt to WN on 1/15/13
2. Hyatt to WN transfer points appear on 1/22/13
3. Chase SW Personal/Biz Plus card statement close on 1/25
4. Bonus and statement points transferred to WN on 1/26
5. CP achieved on 1/27

I may have gotten really lucky with both the Chase points posting right after statement closed and also CP being recognized the next day.

I have a flight coming up this Saturday, so I did manually call to update my CP information. My CP expiration date is 12/31/2014.

Is there a thread on FT that describes ways to maximize the CP? Other than the 3 companion changes?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by stupenal
Is there a thread on FT that describes ways to maximize the CP?
Fly a lot.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lotz
Decisions...

I've had the Plus cards so I need the Premier's to get CP. No 50K biz Premiers available but I did get the 50K Premier personal invite. I have oddles of UR points but also 600K hotel pts. which would get a CP. The hotel points don't expire but the CC offers are always iffy. Otherwise I'm already low on hotel points. I also have an invite for the 32K Air Tran cc.

I'd like to snap the AirTran offer since it'll definitely die soon. After I transfer the 32 credits to WN for two RT awards I'd be able to use the CP with them. The Carlson transfer would get me a CP faster but I'll lose a lot of hotel nights and if I save them 2 years I could use them for a CP then.

I'd really like to transfer the hotel points and get the CP immediately and get the AirTran 2 RT cc, but in 2 years the CC bonuses may not qualify for CP.

Decisions.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tassojunior
The Carlson transfer would get me a CP faster but I'll lose a lot of hotel nights and if I save them 2 years I could use them for a CP then.
Hotel transfers are subject to change. I once saved some Starwood points to transfer to Southwest later in the year, but the option never returned after the advent of RR 2. Consider also that Carlson is the king of zero-notice devaluations. I don't expect the current unfavorable exchange rate from Carlson to RR to change, but it's still a gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.