Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by iamjwk
I am thinking of transferring my Citi Thank You points to SQ. I have never used SQ. I am mainly looking to fly from PDX to YUL and PDX to LHR. When I try and search for award tickets, it doesn't work. Is this because I don't have any miles yet? I don't want to transfer my points unless I know I can use them for these destinations. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
The SQ website is really awful for finding availability. I tend to look for awards on Aeroplan (or occasionally, United) instead, and then try to reconstruct it on Krisflyer after I've found what I'm looking for.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
The SQ website is really awful for finding availability. I tend to look for awards on Aeroplan (or occasionally, United) instead, and then try to reconstruct it on Krisflyer after I've found what I'm looking for.
Some other people have mentioned that not all flights may be available via Krisflyer, would also advice to call to check availability first, before transferring the miles.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Thank you, they wouldnt let me do the IAH - MAN - SIN - AKL for some reason even with the mention of $100 stopover fee. oh well... thank you so much!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by shosana
Thank you, they wouldnt let me do the IAH - MAN - SIN - AKL for some reason even with the mention of $100 stopover fee. oh well... thank you so much!
i think the distance play an issue. Direct distance from IAH to AKL is around 7400 miles. While IAH-SIN-AKL is around 15000 miles.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
i think the distance play an issue. Direct distance from IAH to AKL is around 7400 miles. While IAH-SIN-AKL is around 15000 miles.
To my knowledge they dont publish the distance anywhere right? This is something that I have to do trial and error correct? I am surprised they let us do JFK - FRA - SIN - AKL though but not IAH - MAN - SIN - AKL.

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by shosana
To my knowledge they dont publish the distance anywhere right? This is something that I have to do trial and error correct? I am surprised they let us do JFK - FRA - SIN - AKL though but not IAH - MAN - SIN - AKL.

Thank you!
you can check the distance on gcmap

i was told it's around 40-50%

jfk-akl works bc 8828 miles nonstop, but 15470 based on the routing you described, putting it below 50%
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey

jfk-akl works bc 8828 miles nonstop, but 15470 based on the routing you described, putting it below 50%
i think someone mention before the maxi allowed distance is 1.8 time of the direct distance. Any thing more than that SQ will consider as backtracking.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by gnomey

Oh I see now it make sense. has to be below 50% or around that. Well, thank you for the help!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Could anyone with ExpertFlyer (or similar tool) access be so kind to please report on the estimated load situation for SQ1 on 8 February? Particularly on the HKG-SIN leg.

Want to get an understanding if this particular flight would be relatively "safe" from people with infections vs other HKG-SIN flights. Any CX flights are out of the question given that would have connecting mainland pax on them.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Could anyone with ExpertFlyer (or similar tool) access be so kind to please report on the estimated load situation for SQ1 on 8 February? Particularly on the HKG-SIN leg.

Want to get an understanding if this particular flight would be relatively "safe" from people with infections vs other HKG-SIN flights. Any CX flights are out of the question given that would have connecting mainland pax on them.
not sure whether you are referring to business or economy.

SQ1 load is more than the rest of HKG-SIN flights (it is not selling the lowest K class) I think you can have a few rows of seat in Y for yourself for SQ857/861/863/865/891

But looking at seat map, almost 85 seat available for selection for SQ 1 as well. Pretty empty also.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:19 pm

not sure whether you are referring to business or economy.

SQ1 load is more than the rest of HKG-SIN flights (it is not selling the lowest K class) I think you can have a few rows of seat in Y for yourself for SQ857/861/863/865/891

But looking at seat map, almost 85 seat available for selection for SQ 1 as well. Pretty empty also.
Thank you! I was thinking about the general load, not necessarily in J or Y specifically.

I expected the load on SQ1 to be slightly higher, but presumably due to the share of passengers inbound from SFO and not necessarily only pax originating in HKG?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:15 pm

Thank you! I was thinking about the general load, not necessarily in J or Y specifically.

I expected the load on SQ1 to be slightly higher, but presumably due to the share of passengers inbound from SFO and not necessarily only pax originating in HKG?

general load will be much lower for other flights as compare to SQ1. And with the banned of paxes of travel history to China (and suspending of Visa for PRC passport holders) by Singapore Gov, the risk will be much lower.

The problem is that SQ might cancel more flights for HKG. SQ1/2 should be more safe from any cancellation
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:41 pm

general load will be much lower for other flights as compare to SQ1. And with the banned of paxes of travel history to China (and suspending of Visa for PRC passport holders) by Singapore Gov, the risk will be much lower.

The problem is that SQ might cancel more flights for HKG. SQ1/2 should be more safe from any cancellation
Makes sense -- thank you! Any chance you would be able to check the estimated loads for this coming Monday (3rd Feb)?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:14 pm

Makes sense -- thank you! Any chance you would be able to check the estimated loads for this coming Monday (3rd Feb)?
SQ1 load is higher for economy class but also still got plenty of empty seats

The rest of the flights are almost empty in Y class.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: *A Gold
How likely is SQ going to overbook the flight? I am looking at SQ297 for 8th,9th,10th and it is completely sold out. Expertflyer showing 0 availability Y & PY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.