Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
I see. That's so odd, though - why does the mileage calculator for KF list the ICN to SFO fare at 107,000 miles when there is no direct ICN-SFO flight on SQ?
because previously there is SQ16 from ICN to SFO. And SQ IT does not amend the database.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
How would that be backtracking, if HKG is a technical stop on SIN-SFO flight? It'd be (possibly) backtracking only if it's specifically booked as ICN-SIN; SIN-HKG; HKG-SFO, but in this case, pax has no control over SIN-SFO routing (whether it stops in HKG or not). Are you saying that on days SQ2 flies direct, it would not be backtracking, but on days when it stops in HKG, it would?

Also, for OP, SQ just stopped flying through HKG for a while, so your routing might change
you don’t understand the meaning of backtracking ? Backtracking can be based on the distance as well. Not based on the flight path. (So HKG is not an issue).

SQ allow backtracking if the total distance is less than 1.8 time of the direct distance provided no direct routing. So ICN to SFO is 9000km ICN to SIN to SFO 18215km. If you take the direct SQ32 , it will also be consider a backtracking.

even IAH to MAN to AKL is consider as backtracking by SQ. While JFK to AKL is not.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
SQ allow backtracking if the total distance is less than 1.8 time of the direct distance provided no direct routing. So ICN to SFO is 9000km ICN to SIN to SFO 18215km. If you take the direct SQ32 , it will also be consider a backtracking.
So, even though SQ does not fly ICN-SFO (anymore), and there is no other way for them to get you from SFO to ICN without going through SIN, they will still not let you book that as a single zone 7 to zone 12 award ticket? Or does the problem/discrepancy just arise because of the requested stopover?

(I just read the award chart small print saying "The mileage indicated is only valid for non-stop flights (no connections or transits) between two destinations.", so I'm guessing my former sentence is true. They're just taxing people for having to go through SIN, even though they have no other choice if they want to fly on SQ... that sucks.)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
So, even though SQ does not fly ICN-SFO (anymore), and there is no other way for them to get you from SFO to ICN without going through SIN, they will still not let you book that as a single zone 7 to zone 12 award ticket? Or does the problem/discrepancy just arise because of the requested stopover?

(I just read the award chart small print saying "The mileage indicated is only valid for non-stop flights (no connections or transits) between two destinations.", so I'm guessing my former sentence is true. They're just taxing people for having to go through SIN, even though they have no other choice if they want to fly on SQ... that sucks.)
yes. Or else many people will take advantage of such routing. Paying for zone 7 to zone 12 miles but split as two trips. (ICN-SIN n SIN-SFO). There is star alliance award available though.

Actually The zone 7x zone 12 mileage was more for the fifth freedom right flights.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
yes. Or else many people will take advantage of such routing. Paying for zone 7 to zone 12 miles but split as two trips. (ICN-SIN n SIN-SFO). There is star alliance award available though.

Actually The zone 7x zone 12 mileage was more for the fifth freedom right flights.
Right, but the Star Alliance award is on a different chart. So basically, it seems like what happened is SQ never updated their calculator or their engine after getting rid of the fifth freedom flight, which is frustrating.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:32 pm

Have there been recent changes to mixed class Star Alliance redemptions?
If I am going from YVR to MEL in F, the shortest way is YVR-LAX-SIN-MEL.
First segment is in J (AC) and the rest in SQ F.
I'm being told I cannot price it as a one way North America to South West Pacific award (167.5k miles).
Instead it has to be priced as YVR-LAX (23k) then LAX-SIN-MEL (167k).

Is this right?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi, I am booked in Business on a Swiss ticket. Am I only entitled to a seat selection 48 hours prior to departure?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Hi, I am booked in Business on a Swiss ticket. Am I only entitled to a seat selection 48 hours prior to departure?
You may try your Swiss ticket locator on SQ website to see if you can get in and select seats, otherwise, you will need to call SQ to reserve a seat.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I did the same. I was on a Swiss J ticket, supposed to be on LH flight, but got delayed and ended up on a SQ flight, I believe I was able to select my seats with the ticket locator or eticket number somehow (without calling). But mine was less than 24 hours to flight.
ExpatSomchai likes this.

Last edited by fone; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kangol
Have there been recent changes to mixed class Star Alliance redemptions?
If I am going from YVR to MEL in F, the shortest way is YVR-LAX-SIN-MEL.
First segment is in J (AC) and the rest in SQ F.
I'm being told I cannot price it as a one way North America to South West Pacific award (167.5k miles).
Instead it has to be priced as YVR-LAX (23k) then LAX-SIN-MEL (167k).

Is this right?
By policy that's right because YVR-LAX is backtracking against general direction. Practically if you HUCA and argue no other way to get a *A F cabin, I estimate 66% chance you can get what you want.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:37 pm

Anyone know what time of the day Singapore flights open up end of schedule?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by atojbk
Anyone know what time of the day Singapore flights open up end of schedule?
A google search will reveal this information, but it is 8 AM Singapore time.
atojbk likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Unionruler
By policy that's right because YVR-LAX is backtracking against general direction. Practically if you HUCA and argue no other way to get a *A F cabin, I estimate 66% chance you can get what you want.
I tried, it exceeds MPM. They could not manually override unfortunately.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Kris Flyer
If you are KF Gold abd travelling J class you can have a guest in the KF lounge
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by plad
If you are KF Gold abd travelling J class you can have a guest in the KF lounge
yes, but I reckon you cannot guest 2 (one into gold lounge and one into skl)
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:44 am

Booking KrisFlyer J award with 2 children

When I search through the Android app (signed-in) for a J award MEL-LHR (or another European port) for 4x adults, or 3x adults plus 1x child, it works fine. But as soon as I switch to 2x adults and 2x children (which is the actual party flying) it doesn't work.

If I switch to the desktop browser version, and enter any number of children (even 1x, which works on the app), it tells me to check my redemption nominees.

It's true that I don't have my kids as redemption nominees yet, but I'll have to delete some existing nominees and I don't want to do that until I'm sure the booking will work.

Will I be able to book a redemption with 2x children? Can it be accomplished online somehow or do I have to call? If calling, is there a fee and will they waive it given I can't do this online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.