Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ebola 4
Hello, thank you for your help.

I will be flying from XIY-PVG-SIN.

XIY-PVG is operated by Air China, booked through United Airlines
PVG-SIN is operated by Singapore Airlines, booked through Singapore Airlines.

Will I be able to interline my luggage upon check in at XIY through to my final destination? Air China is a codeshare partner of Singapore Airlines, but the flights are ticketed separately.
It will depend on the checkin staff. Most will help to check to SQ. But some might not. But check through luggage does not mean that air China will be responsible for miss connection (some unreasonable paxes does have impression that since luggage is check through , the first carrier will be responsible if there is miss connection even on separate tickets).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by opiuman
Is the wifi on SQ12 and 11 the original very expensive version?
It will depend on the actual plane used on that particular day.
There are still 8 777-300 ER aircraft with the old/more expensive version

https://mainlymiles.com/singapore-airlines-wi-fi-guide/
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: IHG platinum
Does anyone know if it's normal for advantage award tickets coded A instead of O? I usually booked saver F which is coded as O fare but this time I tried advantage for the sq suite , it came out coding A. I wonder if it's normal.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin Xie
Does anyone know if it's normal for advantage award tickets coded A instead of O? I usually booked saver F which is coded as O fare but this time I tried advantage for the sq suite , it came out coding A. I wonder if it's normal.
Yes, it's normal. Advantage business awards book into D, advantage first into A.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AS Peon
I searched the forum a bit for an answer, but everything was pretty old, so thought I'd ask anyway. Am I able to book a mixed itinerary RT award (F there, premium economy back) by calling in? Looks like I have to get lucky with a knowledgeable rep, but it should be doable I think?

Also, if I call in and find someone willing to do this, would I be able to also wait list for F on the way back as well? Or is that only possible if I have enough Krisflyer miles for the F seats, after spending points for the RT?

And, while I have your attention: Is F worth it both ways on LAX-NRT? I know it isn't suites, so I don't think it would be worth it. Since F is only available one direction right now, it seems reasonable to book F one way to try it out (I've never flown any F), and then just premium economy back since that will probably be fine too.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I searched the forum a bit for an answer, but everything was pretty old, so thought I'd ask anyway. Am I able to book a mixed itinerary RT award (F there, premium economy back) by calling in? Looks like I have to get lucky with a knowledgeable rep, but it should be doable I think?

Also, if I call in and find someone willing to do this, would I be able to also wait list for F on the way back as well? Or is that only possible if I have enough Krisflyer miles for the F seats, after spending points for the RT?

And, while I have your attention: Is F worth it both ways on LAX-NRT? I know it isn't suites, so I don't think it would be worth it. Since F is only available one direction right now, it seems reasonable to book F one way to try it out (I've never flown any F), and then just premium economy back since that will probably be fine too.

Thanks for the help!
Why not get two singles and save a bunch of miles? Mixed redemptions are normally used for multi leg trips.
Always waitlist preferred options before confirming backup flights.
Have a great trip!
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by emag_eh7

Thanks for the help!
Are you just traveling from LAX-NRT n then back to LAX? No other destination right ?

Then you book one way each. No different in the points. You can do the waitlist for F first. As many as you want. Then book the F seat which is available.
This can done online. Remember to book the waitlist flight first.

you need call in to book mixed class for those one way award , not round trip (for example JFK-SIN in first n then SIN-BKK in business). If your trip is just call LAX-NRT-LAX, then you book as 1 way each.

Round trip award is good if you have some other destination (such as LAX-NRT-SIN) n you wan to have free stopover at NRT. Else no different.

As for your last point, wait for other to advise.
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS Peon
I had wanted to book a RT simply to save on fees if I ultimately cancelled the flight, as I wasn't totally sure if I'd need it or not. However, I found a different option for the return trip now, so I just booked OW LAX-NRT. (Technically on hold right now while I transfer in points)

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I've been trying to decide between the two flights to New York. The direct or the one via Frankfurt.
Anyone with experience have any thoughts on why you'd prefer one over the other?
Time isn't really an issue, plus I've never been to Germany so that could work out if a stop over is available.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:05 am

Have some miles expiring this year. Been searching for award suite availability from either JFK--SIN or SIN--JFK and have not seen any available at the 132k miles price point; even on the furthest searchable dates. When do they release the seats at that saver award level? Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rp096
Have some miles expiring this year. Been searching for award suite availability from either JFK--SIN or SIN--JFK and have not seen any available at the 132k miles price point; even on the furthest searchable dates. When do they release the seats at that saver award level? Thanks
Based on observation n what other have mention, it seem like SQ does not release any immediate saver award at 355 days for SQ26/25. On some days they will allow waitlist for saver n it might not clear. (All depend on the demands).

Else only advantage award available.
If points are expiring suggest book a J seat n waitlist in the same PNR saver suite award n hope it clear.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I've personally never seen saver available for J or F on that route, although I'm looking harder now with the need to fly that route next year.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by oh_lol
I've been trying to decide between the two flights to New York. The direct or the one via Frankfurt.
Anyone with experience have any thoughts on why you'd prefer one over the other?
Time isn't really an issue, plus I've never been to Germany so that could work out if a stop over is available.
No personal experience but I have been considering this trip myself for some point in the future so I've researched it a bit.

Via Frankfurt you will have an older plane, the version with the super wide seats in J - they are starting to show their age a bit (took a while to get comfortable on my last flight as the padding wasn't very effective, and the in-flight entertainment system is clunky and not as high-definition as the A350 product). If you want to travel economy or first class this is your only option, though.

Nonstop flight goes over the north pole and so large portion of the flight lacks wifi. The timing of the second meal is supposedly "on demand" so if you're one of those people whose eating patterns get disrupted when flying that might help.

If flight duration isn't important, also consider takeoff/landing times (SQ21 scheduled departure is 0945 - I personally dislike departures before about 11 am), price, lounges (reviews of the lounge at JFK are quite negative; the one at EWR has faintly positive reviews).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:07 am

I was able to secure few Suites on the JFK-SIN last July. Only 1 immediate confirmed seat per flight on Tue/Wed departure.
SIN-JFK is unicorn.
355 days out.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:20 am

Despite what others have said SQ does release saver suites awards on this route, but not year round. Back in September and October saver awards were available mon-wed but once the calendar switched to November the availability disappeared. My hope is that it will be back after the holiday season in January or after Chinese New Year in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.