Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
On a date I'd like to travel suites I see a SIN-JFK opening for the standard award but no option for the saver award or even a waitlist option for the saver award. Will the saver award open up close in if nobody takes the standard? If the saver opens up to a waitlist is it possible to waitlist it if I have the miles booked through krisflyer for a partner airline? I'd like to change my flight from the partner airline to SQ. Obviously I can do it if its straight out open that would just involve redepositing the miles and rebooking, but if its a waitlist option will they let me wait list the award if the miles are being used to book a partner flight with the same origin and destination on same date?
Old May 18, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by Red259
On a date I'd like to travel suites I see a SIN-JFK opening for the standard award but no option for the saver award or even a waitlist option for the saver award. Will the saver award open up close in if nobody takes the standard? If the saver opens up to a waitlist is it possible to waitlist it if I have the miles booked through krisflyer for a partner airline? I'd like to change my flight from the partner airline to SQ. Obviously I can do it if its straight out open that would just involve redepositing the miles and rebooking, but if its a waitlist option will they let me wait list the award if the miles are being used to book a partner flight with the same origin and destination on same date?
if waitlist is not available, means maximum no. of waitlist on that flight has been taken . So, if i were you, forget about it. Now for the miles, the strategy is you waitlist first, no miles will be deducted, but you can't waitlist if you don't have enough miles for that flight. So have your miles ready, waitlist, then book a confirmed flight as a back up . In case the waitlist clears, call KF, to cancel or change your confirmed flight to the new one, you might be charge 30 usd cancellation fee.. For partner award, its definitely the whole process, depositing the miles and booking under KF on the SQ metal ( but you can ask the agent to expedite or change the ticketing deadline while your miles refund is still being processed).
Old May 18, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze
Late last week, I had two waitlisted awards (in F from CDG for 2 in Sep'17 and also in J to DEL in Aug'17), both cleared in the same afternoon after 4 hours,

I was stunned by their generosity
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Quick data point:

Waitlisted two F seats LAX-NRT for December 2017 last week, they cleared within 3 days. I've had a lot of success with wait listing, but this was the fastest it has cleared with the flights 7 months out.

Congrats! for you guys who clear WL, do you have status with KF?
Old May 18, 2017, 7:44 am

We are on WL Suite MEL-LHR for about 5 months now, what are the chances of it clearing a week or two before the flight date (December flight)? (We've sent a few 'chaser' since but with no success) ... anyone had much success with WL for LHR flights?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you WL and it doesn't clear for a long time, can you cancel?

Like say if you book other flight because you don't know if it's going to clear?
Old May 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

Yes you can cancel a WL.

In fact, you can hold the WL and reserve a different award flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by gnomey
No status with KF. I have had great luck with waitlisting F.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers
Yes you can cancel a WL.

In fact, you can hold the WL and reserve a different award flight.
If you don't cancel the WL, it automatically gets redeemed? Or do they email you and say you can redeem the WL?

Do you have to transfer the exact amount of points needed for redemption to WL?

Can you do 2 or more WLs but transfer only enough points for one redemption?
Old May 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by wco81
If you don't cancel the WL, it automatically gets redeemed? Or do they email you and say you can redeem the WL?
You will be notified if the waitlist clears, then you'll need to decide if you want the award tickets (SQ gives you about a day to decide)...it's not automatic. Of course, you'll need the sufficient number of miles in your acct to redeem tickets.

Do you have to transfer the exact amount of points needed for redemption to WL?

Can you do 2 or more WLs but transfer only enough points for one redemption?
To waitlist, you need the sufficient number of miles in your account to redeem a specific flight. The miles are NOT withdrawn from the account when waitlisted. So, you can waitlist for multiple flights provided you have enough points to redeem each flight, not the sum of miles for all waitlisted flights.

For example, I had 5 waitlists from HKG-SFO for 2 different days:

- day 1, Y saver
- day 1, J saver
- day 2, Y saver
- day 2, Y std
- day 2, J saver

I needed enough miles to cover the most mile expensive flight, which was J saver.

Last edited by Troopers; May 19, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old May 19, 2017, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Thanks, one of these days I may try it, though now I hear the SQ A350 in J isn't all that.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
Yup. I am a PPS. The CDg flight is in Suites was for myself+partner in same booking. The DEl flight is for my partner only without me.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:08 am

Thanks, one of these days I may try it, though now I hear the SQ A350 in J isn't all that.

Although I haven't flown SQ A350 in J yet...

What are your better options? SQ A350 J will be a better experience than the competition. SQ is consistently ranked as one of the top airlines. FTers exist to spilt hairs on the minutia...similar "isn't all that" threads exists across all airlines. I wouldn't avoid SQ A350 in J...take what you learn (e.g. sit in bulkhead) and manage your expectations. Otherwise, you'll never fly again if you base it on negative comments.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers
Although I haven't flown SQ A350 in J yet...

What are your better options? SQ A350 J will be a better experience than the competition. SQ is consistently ranked as one of the top airlines. FTers exist to spilt hairs on the minutia...similar "isn't all that" threads exists across all airlines. I wouldn't avoid SQ A350 in J...take what you learn (e.g. sit in bulkhead) and manage your expectations. Otherwise, you'll never fly again if you base it on negative comments.
You may be right, as far as award options go.

I don't know if UA makes its own TPAC flights available as awards.

I do see plenty of ANA and some BR for TPAC awards though.

I guess I can transfer my Chase UR points to KE, though you would have to fly two long segments if connecting to BKK or SIN through ICN.

I don't know if the complaints about the SQ A350 are from only taller people.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:16 am

I don't know if the complaints about the SQ A350 are from only taller people.
This has been what I perceived as well. I would think if I want to complain about anything at all, I will probably fuss more about the fact that SQ seats cannot be turned into a lie-flat bed by a simple press of button (all the J class seats I have taken so far is like this), due to its fold down nature.

Honestly, I really dont think it will be that bad.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:37 am

I don't know if UA makes its own TPAC flights available as awards.
Yes UA does. We're flying SFO-HKG UA J Polaris booked on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.