Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I failed to mention she was booked in Plus, outbounds in the weekend, return usually Thursdays if anyone is interested.

However, with the travel you mentioned you should be EBG by now and with the upcoming travel close to EBD? Especially if you land a Plus->Business or two.
I am EBG now, my year reset this month so I am essentially starting from zero.

I will see what I decide in the next few months. This plusgrade had been a hige dissappointment. I get that no one will get 100% upgrades but zero is just crappy

Especially when they sell them then at the gate for cheaper without the benefits 👎

I hold A3 Gold as well so I may end my EB membership short, not sure

I am sure SK GO is NOT for me not sure who enjoyes it, the plus section is nice, but not allways priced right
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:27 pm

I had a very long series of denied upgrades with OT after along run of successes as well.

What bothers me more is that it got too expensive for reduced earnings
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by fassy
I had a very long series of denied upgrades with OT after along run of successes as well.

What bothers me more is that it got too expensive for reduced earnings
Indeed there is not much earning difference from GO to Plus, but it does add up. J ipgrades have been VERY expensive on my flights so I have only bid on plus.

Just annoying to be denied and then watch them upgrade folks ay the airport for less the. I bid maybe they could chage that same day cash upgrades would earn the higher amount of miles to EB only? wishful thinking I know
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

My wife reported the same about return flights being rejected while there are plenty of seats after a successful outbound upgrade. This has started in January combined with a solid price hike in minimum bids, now often starting at 400EUR+ vs the 250EUR that OT charged and PG started with. Also her complimentary upgrades vanished. She's done 4x ARN-ORD-PDX-ORD-ARN since late December, so 8 long-haul flights. Has been successful 8x on the outbound and only once on the return.

It smells like an undocumented rule that you they don't want you to upgrade both directions.
Can anyone report if the price spikes also affected the ogym by of points you need for upgrades?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by mrgreen
Can anyone report if the price spikes also affected the ogym by of points you need for upgrades?
They remained unchanged. So the points got more valuable concerning PG. And I can't complain much though I tried only twice my luck on LH and both times got upgraded with points.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mrgreen
We would never use points for upgrades so have no data for comparison. The minimum upgrade price for PG has roughly doubled since it was introduced.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: SK*G
Yep, the minimum points for Plus to C is still 25,000 (the same as you needed before PG). Cost me 25,315 last week.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Finally decided to book SFO-CPH in Plus for this summer. Not a bad deal, but certainly not worthy of the "sale" label.

Anyway, minimum bid of $485 to Biz each way - for that amount, I could've purchased Biz Saver. I hope that the rates go down to what jope_taco experienced... I'd even go for the airport upgrade prices Mr. Burns saw. Do they sell airport upgrades only at the gate, or can check-in handle them as well? It'd be nice to be able to use the new UA lounge, assuming it's open by then.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
For further comparison, here are the in-airport upgrade prices:
Go->Plus $199
Plus->Biz $299
Go->Biz $499
Originally Posted by jope_taco
SK935 CPH-SFO 28DEC upgrade from Y (Plus) to C:

Minimum bid for an upgrade was around $375-400 when I checked a few months ago. Randomly checked the site three days before departure and found that the minimum bid had dropped to $220.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tennen
Anyway, minimum bid of $485 to Biz each way - for that amount, I could've purchased Biz Saver.
With the current PG prices that is indeed often the better choice. Or if you have EB points stacked, buy a C+P ticket in the class you want to fly.

Do they sell airport upgrades only at the gate, or can check-in handle them as well? It'd be nice to be able to use the new UA lounge, assuming it's open by then.
At SFO surely at the gate, try check-in first as early as possible. We learned the lesson at LAX that if you don't go through the first come, first serve process at check-in, by the time staff reaches the gate, you're to late. Of course subject to aircraft load, but forget about Business seats at that time. They can't help you in the lounge there either.

So if you arrive on a domestic connection, you are forced to go out and re-enter security to use the airport upgrade system. If PG would just work that wouldn't be needed so SK is causing a very inconvenient situation at LAX. They specifically put machines for long-haul BP's in the air-side terminal connections, there should be an upgrade opportunity as well. Preferably at the lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

So if you arrive on a domestic connection, you are forced to go out and re-enter security to use the airport upgrade system. If PG would just work that wouldn't be needed so SK is causing a very inconvenient situation at LAX. They specifically put machines for long-haul BP's in the air-side terminal connections, there should be an upgrade opportunity as well. Preferably at the lounge.
That is hardly unique to SK, other airlines offering upgrades at check-in has the same challenge when passengers are connecting at outstations.

The US airlines have the upgrade wait listing down to minute detail, but I guess they are the only examples where this is fully solved.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
With the current PG prices that is indeed often the better choice. Or if you have EB points stacked, buy a C+P ticket in the class you want to fly.
I guess I'll keep that in mind in the future. I considered Biz for the overnight and Plus for the daytime, but decided against it, thinking that Plus would be fine. Given the size of the C and Y cabins, and summer travel, maybe I can hope for an op-up instead... Yeah, wishful thinking.

At SFO surely at the gate, try check-in first as early as possible. We learned the lesson at LAX that if you don't go through the first come, first serve process at check-in, by the time staff reaches the gate, you're to late. Of course subject to aircraft load, but forget about Business seats at that time. They can't help you in the lounge there either.
Good advice. Thanks. ^
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Traveled with a friend from SFO - she was in Plus, I was in Business. She bid 36,500 for an upgrade to Business. Denied. We asked at check-in, was told Business was full.

Random person upgraded to an empty Business seat from Go after boarding completed. Another score for SK.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is hardly unique to SK, other airlines offering upgrades at check-in has the same challenge when passengers are connecting at outstations.

The US airlines have the upgrade wait listing down to minute detail, but I guess they are the only examples where this is fully solved.
There is no wait-list, its a first come, first serve concept. This should really be available to EB members in the App. Nobody should have to hold up check-in staff or gate staff for upgrades, especially not when its a predefined transaction with a fixed amount of points.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:37 am

My bid of 15000 points for Go->Plus was denied for upcoming HKG-ARN flight today.
Will try to snatch an upgrade at the gate :-)

Edit: Got the Go->Plus Upgrade for 15000 Points at Checkin-Counter. Go-Biz would have been 40000.

Last edited by mrgreen; Feb 24, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Are there any recent experiences with miles posting correctly in A3 Miles&Bonus?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.