Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by helosc
But points upgrade is a better deal - 5000 points for earning 1250 extra base points (as gold/diamond) - at least it is a much better deal than buying base points for points.

And they actually had service on the flight (CPH - HAM) which I didn't expect.
They offered polar rolls but they also had the usual snacks/drinks trolley.
Comparing to 45-55€ I think they hit the value of EuroBonus points pretty much spot on for me, at least that is the lowest I'd redeem for. So if I needed the base points I wouldn't sure if I should pay with cash or points

Originally Posted by alltforsverige
Success @ mininum allowed 10k points (each) from Go to Plus for my wife and me (same reservation) on ARN-ORD this Friday, December 16.

First bid, first success. At 6'7" for me and 6'0" for her, we'll take it!
nice ^ and welcome to FT!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kauppias
Denied upgrade and then they sell gate upgrades

Not entirely thrilled though I was aware this was the way SK likes to do it

Will use expiring points on the way back
What is the relative price of the upgrades at the gate versus the pre-bids? Is it cheaper at the gate?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by tehspecs
What is the relative price of the upgrades at the gate versus the pre-bids? Is it cheaper at the gate?
They are cheaper at the gate but no extra points and no lounge/extra luggage so inflight benefits only.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Success @ mininum allowed 10k points (each) from Go to Plus for my wife and me (same reservation) on ARN-ORD this Friday, December 16.

First bid, first success. At 6'7" for me and 6'0" for her, we'll take it!
Of course the complimentary upgrade to business came through 22 hours before departure.

I'll never complain about a long haul in business class, but it leaves me wondering if I wasted the points and a little disappointed since it means I don't think I'm even eligible for a complimentary upgrade on the return trip (if I understand the terms of those right). I was perfectly happy in Plus for the westbound direction. Oh well, I'll just have to bid again and then try for a gate/check-in upgrade in Chicago on the way back. Like I said, I can't really complain about a more comfortable 9 hour flight tomorrow.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: *G
Of course the complimentary upgrade to business came through 22 hours before departure.

I'll never complain about a long haul in business class, but it leaves me wondering if I wasted the points and a little disappointed since it means I don't think I'm even eligible for a complimentary upgrade on the return trip (if I understand the terms of those right). I was perfectly happy in Plus for the westbound direction. Oh well, I'll just have to bid again and then try for a gate/check-in upgrade in Chicago on the way back. Like I said, I can't really complain about a more comfortable 9 hour flight tomorrow.
What would likely have happened (unless PLUS is full) is that you would've gotten your courtesey upgrade to PLUS had you not used plusgrade. It's only a one class upgrade.
In that sense, you also got more from your courtesey upgrade that you would have gotten from go to plus, as the upgrade is valued at 25K points rather than 15K points. So I definetely hope you are still happy with that, but I tend to agree that it is frustrating that you are more likely to get the courtesey upgrades on the west bound flights especially to USA.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by studentCPH
but I tend to agree that it is frustrating that you are more likely to get the courtesey upgrades on the west bound flights especially to USA.
That is the frustrating part, you cannot ask for it. I was lucky enough that somehow my courtesy upgrade cycle started with the eastbound leg and now I'm more or less stuck with it. For someone else it might be the other way around which seems unfair.

Anyway, a feee upgrade is a free upgrade. Didn't know that they would actually clear the PG upgrade and then the courtesy upgrade on top. Thought it was either or.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Mileage Credit for A3 M&B after Upgrade

Cann now confirm myself that mileage credit after upgrade worked with A3/M&B. Upgrade from PE to C for 400 Euros for MIA-CPH was credited as BC Z two days after flight.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by studentCPH
What would likely have happened (unless PLUS is full) is that you would've gotten your courtesey upgrade to PLUS had you not used plusgrade. It's only a one class upgrade.
In that sense, you also got more from your courtesey upgrade that you would have gotten from go to plus, as the upgrade is valued at 25K points rather than 15K points. So I definetely hope you are still happy with that, but I tend to agree that it is frustrating that you are more likely to get the courtesey upgrades on the west bound flights especially to USA.

Oh, I am certainly not unhappy! It was a great flight, and I had a very happy wife next to me enjoying all of it. Overall, to go from "cattle class" as she calls it to the front for a very cheap fare plus 10k points was a great value.

They announced that it was a totally full flight, but I counted 4-5 open seats in Business. Plus definitely looked full, and I assume coach was based on their announcements and how full the gate area was.

I have enough in the war chest that I hope I can bid successfully for at least an upgrade to Plus on the way back in early January.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
Anyway, a free upgrade is a free upgrade. Didn't know that they would actually clear the PG upgrade and then the courtesy upgrade on top. Thought it was either or.
That was part of the reason I posted. I kind of thought it was too, but I have direct confirmation otherwise now. Aside from the better flight experience, I do appreciate learning something out of the investment too.

A bid upgrade doesn't disqualify a complimentary one. I ended up in business on a cheap fare and 10k in points. Not bad at all.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P
SFO-CPH, Go->Plus accepted, $150
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
SFO-CPH, Go->Plus accepted, $150
That's interesting, congrats. Seems like a good deal. My ORD--> ARN flight won't let me bid less than $195 which is a bit beyond what I want to pay.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by tehspecs
That's interesting, congrats. Seems like a good deal. My ORD--> ARN flight won't let me bid less than $195 which is a bit beyond what I want to pay.
For further comparison, here are the in-airport upgrade prices:
Go->Plus $199
Plus->Biz $299
Go->Biz $499
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:34 am

The Plusgrade FAQ mentions this:

"Please note that when you are upgraded, you cannot earn points from any other frequent flyer programs even if another loyalty program membership number is assigned to your original reservation."

Source

Can any confirm that it's executed in practice and upgraded flights don't earn miles for example on Aegean?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by mrgreen

"Please note that when you are upgraded, you cannot earn points from any other frequent flyer programs even if another loyalty program membership number is assigned to your original reservation."

Source

Can any confirm that it's executed in practice and upgraded flights don't earn miles for example on Aegean?
You'll earn according to your new booking class. If something goes wrong you can't blame SK.

If you read through this thread you'll find some who state that they earned according to the new booking class also on A3's MB.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by mrgreen

Source

You earn in the upgraded booking class. I can confirm this for United Mileage Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.