Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New [Plusgrade] upgrade system and SK ditches OT [2016-2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by fassy
The lounge in CPH is an option. It so far I only was lucky one time to get an agent there to process an upgrade (which confirms they can do it). All the other times they told me that 'upgrades are gate controlled' which might be true depending how early/late you show up.
I did a points upgrade at the CPH lounge in CPH-IAD about a year ago. They had no problems doing it, though I do think I was there quite far in advance due to my connecting flight's timing.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by fassy
The lounge in CPH is an option. It so far I only was lucky one time to get an agent there to process an upgrade (which confirms they can do it). All the other times they told me that 'upgrades are gate controlled' which might be true depending how early/late you show up.
I have done it twice (successfully) from the CPH lounge in recent times. It is handled by the gate staff though, so the lounge staff has to call the gate – which they did in those two cases.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:33 am

The one time they did it for me at the lounge I was quite early and the lounge agent could just process the upgrade through the computer. Not sure what the cutoff time is when control if upgrades is handed of to the gate.

Last edited by fassy; Feb 6, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Is it just me or is it better value using points compared to cash?

I have an offer for my next CPH-EWR in Y to upgrade to C for 22000 points or 420 EUR (lowest bid). If you look at the onboard menu (poor value, I know) it will take 84000 points to buy items for 420 EUR. Or if I book an award trip from CPH to EWR in M it will cost me points corresponding to 1145 EUR (which is also to the higher side) if based on the upgrade ratio.

It appears that using points for upgrading via Plusgrade is very good value compared to other types of redemption.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:04 pm

Best value for points is without a doubt *A F awards using the 2-4-1 AMEX voucher for Swedes and Norwegian residents. Next come SK long-haul J tickets and the occasional 'I have to go tomorrow' European short-haul ticket.

And then the PG upgrades...

-at at least for me-
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:53 am

Just bid for HKG-ARN from Eco to SAS Plus: 15040 points (Minimum was around 10k). Flight is in End of February.
Are there any ways/factors to determine what the chances for a successful bid are?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by mrgreen
Just bid for HKG-ARN from Eco to SAS Plus: 15040 points (Minimum was around 10k). Flight is in End of February.
Are there any ways/factors to determine what the chances for a successful bid are?
From my experience: if Y is very well booked then there should be a good chance to get a PG upgrade.

Also there needs to be space in the desired class. If C is full then no upgrades will be done into C.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Has anyone managed to wrangle a good deal for an airport upgrade? Three years ago I asked about a econ-biz upgrade IAD-CPH at check-in. The woman asked if I wanted to pay cash or points, I responded I really wanted it for free. She (to my great surprise) answered that she would give me a 2-4-1 upgrade, and we scored 4 upgrades for 80K points.

Is this something that happens occasionally, or was I just extremely lucky to get a nice woman with a very empty C?

ANd to add gravy to the story, we were all comped to plus on the flight CPH-IAD....
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:17 pm

Never heard of a similar deal. I think you were very lucky. Assuming your party was 2 adults and 2 kids I guess the check-in agent just comped the upgrade for the kids
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jainzar
From my experience: if Y is very well booked then there should be a good chance to get a PG upgrade.

Also there needs to be space in the desired class. If C is full then no upgrades will be done into C.
Y is Plus on SK.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
So far I am at zero % success on LH upgrades under this new system This time I wised up abd left the sh connecting flights without a offer so did not waste any money
Cant say I am a big fan of the new system. I guess they just wantppl to upg at the gate, I will pass...

Too bad, these upgrades would have propably pushed me to go for EBD but now looks less likely. Quite annoying to only get upgrade denied emails
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
And 48hrs later consistently Denied again on the returb

My flight out left with two empty SK plus seats

I dont think I will bother booking Go tickets anymore trying to upgrade.

If PLUS tickets are NOT reasonably priced at booking then I will just book another airlines as clearly this new upgrade tool is not working for me...

Luckily my next three trips were booked in PLUS so I dont need to bother with PG but these last three plus was over 400€ more per way so it was not a hood deal...

I was planning on going for EBD but with these changes I will just see where it lands me

These are just my experiences,
Routes have been

OSL-MIA
CPH-NRT
ARN-LAX
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
My wife reported the same about return flights being rejected while there are plenty of seats after a successful outbound upgrade. This has started in January combined with a solid price hike in minimum bids, now often starting at 400EUR+ vs the 250EUR that OT charged and PG started with. Also her complimentary upgrades vanished. She's done 4x ARN-ORD-PDX-ORD-ARN since late December, so 8 long-haul flights. Has been successful 8x on the outbound and only once on the return.

It smells like an undocumented rule that you they don't want you to upgrade both directions.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
My wife reported the same about return flights being rejected while there are plenty of seats after a successful outbound upgrade. This has started in January combined with a solid price hike in minimum bids, now often starting at 400EUR+ vs the 250EUR that OT charged and PG started with. Also her complimentary upgrades vanished. She's done 4x ARN-ORD-PDX-ORD-ARN since late December, so 8 long-haul flights. Has been successful 8x on the outbound and only once on the return.

It smells like an undocumented rule that you they don't want you to upgrade both directions.
I havent had a single succesful upgrade in either direction only short hauls which I stopped bidding on now...

I can see limiting to a point but at this rate I may just stay with A3 instead of going for EB status
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I failed to mention she was booked in Plus, outbounds in the weekend, return usually Thursdays if anyone is interested.

However, with the travel you mentioned you should be EBG by now and with the upcoming travel close to EBD? Especially if you land a Plus->Business or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.