Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
First look at the Nordic Caviar Service on SAS Business

I was on the first departure yesterday to New York and had the chance to try out the new Nordic "Caviar Service".

I was quite positively surprised.

I did try the new Mikkellers Vodka with Hops to and this was a good match.

I can only recommend others to try it out and remember it is only on the menu until end of April 2017.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 3, 2017 at 9:29 am Reason: Removed link. Per rules, relationship statement required
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
OMG, they made it worse?? I really can't believe this company. I'm flying long haul tomorrow and guess I'll test if its bad as it looks.

Change the Mikkeller instead of removing it? Or adding something drinkable?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
OMG, they made it worse?? I really can't believe this company. I'm flying long haul tomorrow and guess I'll test if its bad as it looks.

What would actually make you happy? Bud Lite and Mac'n'Cheese?

I think this is a very good effort to serve something very local and something that also fits international flavours. Unfortunately I will not get to try it as I have no SK long haul coming up. I'll give them A for the effort, but can't judge execution.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold

There is in my world plenty of options to eat and drink. I do not agree that it is bad quality or options.

The three new spirits are of much better quality than what they had of standard products before.

They still have 2 Mikkeller beers beside the normal Carlsberg.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 4, 2017 at 10:50 am Reason: Remove url per rules
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver

Agree completely.

It is not acceptable when the food is of dubious quality. It is not ok when the service is bad.

It is very good if they have local flavours while maintaining an international option.

The new Scandinavia caviar is a plus as long as you can still have a starter/main/dessert meal to international taste which is well prepared (and we should rightly be angry when this is not the case and have booked a long haul Business class trip).

Having specialty brewed beer by what is possibly the most highly acclaimed micro brewer in the world is awesome as long as you still have a Carlsberg option.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What would actually make you happy? Bud Lite and Mac'n'Cheese?
It would make me happier than this, despite not enjoying either.

Just a sirloin or ribeye and a trappist beer and I'm your happiest customer. Starter and dessert optional, just no brew coffee (keep those espresso machines in better shape and start serving it).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It would make me happier than this, despite not enjoying either.

Just a sirloin or ribeye and a trappist beer and I'm your happiest customer. Starter and dessert optional, just no brew coffee (keep those espresso machines in better shape and start serving it).
Would in principle make me a happy camper too, though most often the mistreatment a good sirloin steak is subjected to in an airplane oven means it is not a pleasure. I rarely choose it on airlines that has it as an option.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:01 am
Suspended

Would in principle make me a happy camper too, though most often the mistreatment a good sirloin steak is subjected to in an airplane oven means it is not a pleasure. I rarely choose it on airlines that has it as an option.
Yeah, I tend to avoid this too - due to being severely disappointed every time.

If we're talking SAS Business, I'd prefer keeping it simple.

- Upgrade the champagne
- Manage the red wine temperature
- Get more interesting red wines
- Serve me a foolproof little starter - nothing wrong with a couple slices of a good jamón and a glass that goes with it
- Now serve me a good veggie option, say agnolotti with some fungi filling. This tends to do well on a plane.
- Finally, gimme' a few good cheeses. I like SK's cheeses and the healthier crackers.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: MAKE SURE THIS TAKES 60 MINUTES AND NOT A SECOND LONGER
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin

- Upgrade the champagne
You mean upgrade from the world´s best non-vintage brut blend Champagne Charles Heidsieck? I think we need to keep expectations somewhat realistic.

Agree on the other points, except since I like salmon the starters are usually OK. SAS = Salmon, Always Salmon right?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by view
You mean upgrade from the world´s best non-vintage brut blend Champagne Charles Heidsieck? I think we need to keep expectations somewhat realistic.

Agree on the other points, except since I like salmon the starters are usually OK. SAS = Salmon, Always Salmon right?
Yes, yes I do. I don't like it. I liked the old one better.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by view

What happened to serving Henriot vintage as they did before? Though that has also been on a gradual slide of which Henriot versions they did serve.

Which Heidsieck do they specifically serve now?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

What happened to serving Henriot vintage as they did before? Though that has also been on a gradual slide of which Henriot versions they did serve.

Which Heidsieck do they specifically serve now?
Got Sweden'ed away - cost-cutting amid closing hugely profitable flights to the roaring tech hub in Israel for - quote - "political reasons" in Sweden. Now we're cost-cutting an already cheap champagne to offer something poorer.

It's the non-vintage and it's highly acidic compared to the Henriot. Where the Henriot had a slight tone of something sweet and that umami smell that carries well in the air, too, we're now left with something that'll contribute to my soon-to-materialize stomach ulcer.

Who's taking bets on when Sweden will ask that SAS becomes a dry airline because alcohol is "offensive"?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Who's taking bets on when Sweden will ask that SAS becomes a dry airline because alcohol is "offensive"?
Before or after they make all female pax sit it the back of the plane?

Johan
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Before or after they make all female pax sit it the back of the plane?

Johan
Well, you're joking ... but I never thought we'd seriously be debating whether we should allow gender separated use of public facilities with the backing of the so-called progressives, yet here we are.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:07 am

Some reflections on the current menu, it was presented in a very colourful layout and the changes weren't many.

While airmixology is gone, now called "Cocktails & Co", the new cocktails are better. Including the usual classics such as G&T, Bloody Mary's and Vodka Martinis there where two whiskey based cocktails which where very decent and I particularly appreciated the fact that they where marketed in the menu as "available throughout the whole flight". As opposed to having to beg for a 2nd cocktail during the airmixology era.

The starter is still some kind of inedible, cold, waste of ingredients, time and money. The main courses are the same as before, sub-par quality and to small in size. I'm pretty sure that my "Braised Beef" had less than 100g of actual meat. Desert was pretty much the same to, the smallest slice of pie you can imagine accompany with 3 pieces of colourless pineapple.

If someone has a good place to host images, I can upload some fotos of the copy of the menu I took.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.