Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Gnopps
What irks me is that I frequently fly CPH-HEL (scheduled time 1h 40m, about 1h 20m in the air) and because it is within Scandinavia service in Plus is lower than had it been to Europe. There is never any box served, instead you get the very small bite-package with 2-3 slices of sausage or even only a polarrulle. Also drinks available is limited compared to European flights. Wouldn't it make more sence to set meal server per flight time rather than destination?
Yes, the intra-Nordic services are pretty sad, especially seeing as CPH-HEL is longer than many non-Nordic routes ex-CPH. That said, I think there's stiff competition on price on this route with DY and AY, of whom only AY offer anything up front and the price differential for AY SH J is larger than for Plus.

I'll follow up with a "Fresh bite" picture soon.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:39 am

An uplifting bite from noon 'til night

Example of a "Fresh Bite"

These intra-Nordic snacks seem to have got rarer in recent months, since their launch last spring. That's disappointing, as I think they're much nicer than the other fairly long-life crap on the trolley.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ScandiGB
@Oliver2002

Did that short haul box taste as bad as it looks? Did you ask for anything else?

How about the PVG trip? Was it good?
MUC-CPH is a rather short flight, I just fished out the beef and put it on a roll and ate the cake. I knew I was getting a dinner on the PVG trip, so didn't ask for anything extra to eat.

PVG dinner was good, see post #42- here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...reports-2.html

If I look at the time stamps on the photos I took:

ETD: 1835 ATD: 19:10ish (don't rember exact time)

Cocktails: 19:49
Bread and drinks: 20:21
Starter: 20:24
Maincourse: 20:59
Desert: 21:26
Lights off: 22:13

I was in row 2, so got my stuff very early on. Lights off was at T+3h. That too was only because I asked them at 22:13 when I went to the lav, they were busy setting up their own dinner at that time.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Did that short haul box taste as bad as it looks?
I remember I had that box at least twice and I it is ok.

What annoys me everytime that no box I ever had in plus had a simple oil vinegar dressing. I mean just put a small bottle or even plastic bag into the box. I would greatly appreciate it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Which is similar to carriers such as BA and Lufthansa. (Granted, some others such as KLM and Finnair have a soup option)
BA typically has soup as well and I've regularly enjoyed warm tiger prawns as a starter.

Other than BA (which is consistent in this), which non-US carrier consistently has a beef option?
I guess my point is that I appreciate BA and US-carriers consistently offering this and would appreciate SK doing the same?

I am just back from 4 J flights with Qatar (which I find excellent). Only on one of four flights was there a beef/steak option. Only about one third of other J class flights I find myself on has this.
No arguments about Qatar being excellent. I fly them to little to argue, even though I should as the novelty and usefulness of my EK status has worn off. Now QR is OneWorld and has two daily flights from ARN versus EK only having one, it is probably time to change that.

As long as there is another normal protein (i.e. usually chicken) I think this is absolutely fine and completely normal. As a matter of fact most carriers I fly on tend to overcook beef when they reheat it.
Poor options and poor cooking are two different problems, I suggest we start solving them one at a time. Being bad at microwaving is not an argument not to offer something.

I am sure that the starter, main and dessert was well north of 1,000 calories before having any bread or cheese, so I think it would be bordering on disgusting if they served more actually.
My opinion is that it is better to have to much versus being left hungry. I don't think the airline should be including a calorie calculation but instead focus on satisfaction. At the very least in C.

If you ask for another main course, I think you are very likely to get it.
Maybe you can send us some pictures of the small portions so we can see if the rest of us are just lucky or if they are indeed as small as indicated.
SAS will not give you a second main course, not in Business either. I've requested this a number of times after having to pass on the starter yet again.

Again, send us some pictures please. That way we can see how small the slice really was.
I'll be on SK939/SK940 later this week, I'll report accordingly.

I seem to recall having had a choice of different things served from a trolley and believe I had a quiche of some sort, which was ok.
I'll pay closer attention to the trolley this time, when the salad comes out I'm normally done interacting.

Oliver's CPH-MUC Plus box is making me rage.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:54 am

Nothing special about that Plus box... unfortunately! See that as often as I fly SAS Plus.

While the general lounge lunch setup in CPH again was quite sad the smoked trout was excellent.

But the one time I would like to get horseradish (love smoked trout with horseradish Creme) they served it with mustard creme?!

given the abundance of horseradish Creme in the Plus boxes quite surprising...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by fassy
While the general lounge lunch setup in CPH again was quite sad the smoked trout was excellent.
The grubby soda-machine in CPH is the most miserable thing about the whole experience. Such a comedown from the lovely bottled water from a couple of years back.

At least in ARN it comes out of a premium-looking tap.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
BA typically has soup as well and I've regularly enjoyed warm tiger prawns as a starter.
A quick google search for pictures of BA Club World menus left me unable to find a single example of this. I am not saying it did not happen to you, but it is not the norm for sure, and on at least 50 BA Club World trips I cannot recall it ever being the case.

In First it is of course standard.

I guess my point is that I appreciate BA and US-carriers consistently offering this and would appreciate SK doing the same?

Poor options and poor cooking are two different problems, I suggest we start solving them one at a time. Being bad at microwaving is not an argument not to offer something.
I respect this personal taste of yours. I have a different view and would certainly prefer variation.

If I consistently experienced well cooked beef on other carriers I would agree with your view of separating ingredients and preparation, but my experience is that beef based dishes tend to be amongst those that consistently goes the most wrong across carriers. This is especially true if it is "steak" style beef rather than "slow-braised" style.

Consequently I strongly disagree that a beef based dish should be standard on all SAS long haul flights. If they are able to get it right, then I dont have an issue with it, but that is imho rare on most carriers.

No arguments about Qatar being excellent. I fly them to little to argue, even though I should as the novelty and usefulness of my EK status has worn off. Now QR is OneWorld and has two daily flights from ARN versus EK only having one, it is probably time to change that.
Try it out. Even if the steak main course I got the other day was overcooked.

Be mindful though that they only serve one meal and the serving sizes are not that large. They are prepared to order though and you can eat a la carte when you want.

My opinion is that it is better to have to much versus being left hungry.
I think that certainly depends on how hungry you are and how much food you are asking for. Pictures will help in understanding where the issue lies I think.

SAS will not give you a second main course, not in Business either. I've requested this a number of times after having to pass on the starter yet again.
OK. In my experience they have been happy to serve a second one on the two occasions where I have politely asked.

I'll be on SK939/SK940 later this week, I'll report accordingly.

I'll pay closer attention to the trolley this time, when the salad comes out I'm normally done interacting.
Looking forward to seeing it. You might want to remember the zoom lens to ensure the very small serving can be seen on the picture

Oliver's CPH-MUC Plus box is making me rage.
I agree it looked terrible. I think the question about whether to rage depends on availability of a sandwich from the trolley.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Found another plus meal KEF-OSL in 9/15:
Attached Images  
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:37 am

Plus on MUC-ARN July 2015
Attached Images  
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:38 am

CHML MUCARN Jul 2015
Attached Images  
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
CHML MUCARN Jul 2015
That CHML looks more appetising to me than most SH Plus meals I've seen
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by klmml
That CHML looks more appetising to me than most SH Plus meals I've seen
Was just about to say ... I want that instead of the whatever-cheap-fish-product-we-can-find-boxes.

I have fond memories of the boxes presented here. The herring cream should be tried at the Hague for crimes against humanity.

Also, I feel personally offended by the pre-squished starter toppings in long-haul C. You can literally tell they're taken out of a box like that, placed on top of the meat slices to create that lovely illusion of a piping bag being used. Simply scooping a scoop of whatever fresh cream cheese that's supposed to be would enhance the visual experience tenfold.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

being bad at microwaving
Dude ...

Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Got food poisoning from the breakfast service of ORD-CPH. Not pleasant.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Was just about to say ... I want that instead of the whatever-cheap-fish-product-we-can-find-boxes.

I have fond memories of the boxes presented here. The herring cream should be tried at the Hague for crimes against humanity.

Also, I feel personally offended by the pre-squished starter toppings in long-haul C. You can literally tell they're taken out of a box like that, placed on top of the meat slices to create that lovely illusion of a piping bag being used. Simply scooping a scoop of whatever fresh cream cheese that's supposed to be would enhance the visual experience tenfold.
The plates were most likely finished like that in the kitchen and loaded as you see them. No intervention during the flight. Still not a piping bag, but rather a piping machine is creating the effects.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.