Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I will, however, concede one point: F and J are premium products. Airlines go out of their way to market them as such, and charge fares to match. It is therefore incumbent on them to provide not only at least halfway decent food in sufficient quantities, but also offer plenty of choice. Their passengers are captive customers, come from all over the world, and have diverse tastes and preferences.
At least somebody gets it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:01 pm

Exactly my argument! I think a lot of people see it that way. Especially since SK is not cheap... usually one of the more expensive options for me.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
I have been relatively positive to the SAS cuisine, but after having had 4 US flights in Business the last two months, I have got really depressed about the food, which together with the wine should make me a bit amused during all those hours.

On those 4 flights (2 east, 2 west), the main menu was the same every time except one dish changed every time. Boring – especially because it was bad too.

Well, starter and desert/cheese is ok (the scallops with small fresh prawns ex CPH was great), but the main dish!!!

The sea bass was flaccid.
The dear cheeks were extremely dry and hard. Uneatable.
The pork belly was just fat. Disgusting.
The chicken was dry. (on one flight it was substituted with turkey – must have been really, really dry)
The risotto (tried the veg. option) was not risotto but too thin rice porridge.
The vegetables is almost acceptable.
The appearance is generally not great.

The worst thing: the second meal westward. Two slices of cold roast beef (once I was allowed two more after all pax were served) and two kind of strange 'healthy' slaw. As Flying Moose wrote: Really bad.

Applaus for the Norwegian apple must and the Mikkeller coffee stout beer (which was out of stock last time). Unusual and great. Also the Take Off-drink is a pleasure.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
This Danish stuff is generally food of bad quality, but I get tempted, when I meet it at the CPH lounge on a Friday afternoon.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
This Danish stuff is generally food of bad quality, but I get tempted, when I meet it at the CPH lounge on a Friday afternoon.
Was the bread the traditional sweet sticky stuff?

Were the cucumber slimy?

Was the ketchup made from apples rather than tomato?

Were the red sausages almost entirely meat free?

In short was it a proper Danish red sausage hot dog?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin

And no, it's not SAS' job to regulate our calorie intake. You cannot seriously argue it's a good thing people leave the plane hungry b/c the Swedish government says you can only eat x number of calories a day.

This airline needs to be split up in national units, sorry to say.
If I gave the impression that I am arguing the airline should regulate calorie intake then I apologise. That was not the point.

My point was merely that on long haul flights I have been on portion sizes have been plenty large.

The above pictures - while clearly problematic from a quality perspective - would seem to indicate that at least the amount of food is not exactly small.

I agree with comments made that some of their ideas are too over engineered.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

CPH lounge at low point

Today the CPH lounge has hit a low point for me.

I am actually missing the salmon chunks.

At first i thought there was only vegetables. But no. In the corner the grey mass is supposedly tuna mousse! I have not tried. I am not that brave.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ScandiGB
Today the CPH lounge has hit a low point for me.

I am actually missing the salmon chunks.

At first i thought there was only vegetables. But no. In the corner the grey mass is supposedly tuna mousse! I have not tried. I am not that brave.
I'd rather have good vegetables than bad meat, but the trough of defrosted cauliflower/carrot/etc second from right is a real turn off.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
That's the same cat food style Tuna that they've had in ARN for a while. A new low and not that far away from rock bottom.

What bothers me are the occasional attempts at improving which then remain temporary, like the fajitas and pizza we've seen in the ARN lounge. Exactly the kind of food people expect and wildly popular, enjoyed so much that the only disappointment comes from the slow rate of refills.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
That's the same cat food style Tuna that they've had in ARN for a while. A new low and not that far away from rock bottom.

What bothers me are the occasional attempts at improving which then remain temporary, like the fajitas and pizza we've seen in the ARN lounge. Exactly the kind of food people expect and wildly popular, enjoyed so much that the only disappointment comes from the slow rate of refills.
Agree. It was disappointing. I went in there as I am flying outside schengen with a non *A airline and could do so with Pandion status.

I should probably have gone to the contract lounge at the other end of the airport or just stopped at joe and the juice.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
In short was it a proper Danish red sausage hot dog?
Are you trying to remind me of svensk pølseret?

Johan
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by klmml
I'd rather have good vegetables than bad meat, but the trough of defrosted cauliflower/carrot/etc second from right is a real turn off.
Those are pickled veggies, not defrosted. Our work canteen uses them to fill the salad bar too. Costs like 5-6€+VAT for a 5kg tin.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Those are pickled veggies, not defrosted. Our work canteen uses them to fill the salad bar too. Costs like 5-6€+VAT for a 5kg tin.
Ah, that explains it. To me it looks like frozen veg, namely:

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sorry in Danish only, but it seems adjustments of long haul J catering is coming from February.

https://finalcall.travel/da/store-aendringer-paa-vej-paa-sas-business-februar/

​​​​​​
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Sorry in Danish only, but it seems adjustments of long haul J catering is coming from February.

https://finalcall.travel/da/store-ae...iness-februar/

​​​​​​
As usual, they're completely overhyping what seems like minor changes. And did I just see their cocktail menu disappear entirely?

SAS vil introducere forskellige skandinaviske delikatesser – f.eks. vil Business Class passagererne kunne få serveret “svensk kaviar” – også kaldet Kalix Löjrom

Please don't. What's next, fried cod roe? (That'd be stegt torskerogn, Danes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.