Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My guess as to why it gets removed, relatively few people order from the list. Seems (by my experience) to be Champagne, Beer and G&T for the alcohol drinking crowd for pre dinner drinks.
You might be right. I had always ordered the Take Off after take off as a welcome variation to the straight GT. But most other pax didn't go for the Air Mixology.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The mixology thing was confusing to both SK and DL crew when I asked for it. 'Wait, let me look for the instructions... ah, oh, I need this thing which is not on my cart' (waves to other FA who is ignoring her) 'ok, can I come back to you, the cocktail will take a while, my colleague will bring it'. On my DL return flight I just opted for a G&T instead.
Maybe slightly exaggerated, but yes! They always have to look at the list to see, what should be in the drink, and last time the CA had in fact to ask for one missing ingredients from a colleague at the pantry.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The mixology thing was confusing to both SK and DL crew when I asked for it. 'Wait, let me look for the instructions... ah, oh, I need this thing which is not on my cart' (waves to other FA who is ignoring her) 'ok, can I come back to you, the cocktail will take a while, my colleague will bring it'. On my DL return flight I just opted for a G&T instead.
Oh, so this doesn't only happen to me on every single flight SK?

Unfortunately I like some of the cocktails a lot and basic drinks such as G&T or Rum and Coke don't do it. They also lack basic ingredients for other basic cocktails but if they had just kept the current offering it would have been fine, if anything they should be less resistant to offer cocktails all flight long. Not everyone wants wine to dinner.

Removing "Air Mixology" or simply cocktails would be another cut to the product it really shouldn't be seeing.

I really wonder how often SAS's product teams actually set food aboard planes, let alone from competitors and wether feedback from customers is actually adhered to or just goes straight to the shredder.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Oh, so this doesn't only happen to me on every single flight SK?

Unfortunately I like some of the cocktails a lot and basic drinks such as G&T or Rum and Coke don't do it. They also lack basic ingredients for other basic cocktails but if they had just kept the current offering it would have been fine, if anything they should be less resistant to offer cocktails all flight long. Not everyone wants wine to dinner.

Removing "Air Mixology" or simply cocktails would be another cut to the product it really shouldn't be seeing.

I really wonder how often SAS's product teams actually set food aboard planes, let alone from competitors and wether feedback from customers is actually adhered to or just goes straight to the shredder.
It truly is a mystery. To craft a great consumer offering, you need:

- Insights & Data
- Experience
- A vision for what you want to deliver

SK has the two first. They even have qualitative insights because flying is something people spend a great deal of time to talk about.

However, they severely lack a vision. They need a man who wants to stand up and motivate the company under a visionary banner. You can't consult your way out of that one.

Honestly, what the h€ll do you think you get when you hire someone from HP and Accenture with bleached teeth and 80s highlights to craft your consumer vision for the future? No wonder this is what happens.

You might be good at looking backwards if you come from an accounting firm, but there's a reason the windshield is larger than the rear-view mirror.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The two seafood special meals that I've had this month have been markedly different from what I got last year - and not a change to the better.
I hope it's not a new food concept.
They were fresh though.

Only one course, not two.
Once smoked salmon and once prawns.
But it was served on a cold salad consisting of root vegetables - I could identify carrots but the rest not - different kinds of turnips, parsnips, I suppose.
I know these vegetables are quite popular at the moment and no doubt very healthy but I personally refuse to acknowledge them as a food group.

On the way out it was no problem as I had brought bread and butter so I just picked out the smoked salmon and made myself some nice sandwiches.
On the way back I had to eat some of it though as I was starving by the time the meal was served.
(Flying from MUC - the business lounge only had food that I couldn't/wouldn't eat so I decided to wait for the expected onboard smoked salmon but due to weather (snow) we were trapped on the plane for almost 3 hours before take-off - by then I would have eaten almost anything.....)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:13 am

Sorry, didn't found the time earlier. Here the menu for BOS-CPH 01/12/2017:

The chicken starter:

It was actuallly quite nice. Nothing to complain about it besides being a tad frosty. The chimichurri sauce was exccellent. Looking the halibut on the other side of the aisle, it did look quite good as well. (Even after ears living in Sweden and now in Hamburg still not a fish guy...). Salad good and fresh, bread SK standard.

Rating 5 out of 5

The main event:

I opted for the pasta since
- I found the idea of Brussels sprouts out of a Boeing's galley oven plainly revolting. They hard hard to stand even if they are done fresh and by a good chef... but pre-cooked and heated again??? *urgs*
- Lamb on planes is usally 'difficult' and the bread pudding and cauliflower puree were also a bit to risky for me.
- Fish is out by default
The pasta was excellent, not too dry, not watery or mushy. In this instance the truffles oil was used with proper measure, just a hint of truffles... very nice fresh chanterelles and crispy roasted pine nuts. The arugula was not a winner. There are just two ways arugula serves to be eaten... fresh or in a pesto. It is never a good idea to cook it in my opinion. Also I should have opted not to get the cheese on top. It was not very good ut industrial and I actually removed it after tasting. I would bet not an Italien Pecorino but some North American chemlab experiement a la Jacques Tricatel.

Rating 4 out of 5, subtract 1 point for the cooked arugula and Fake-Pecorino

I did not make any photos of the desert as I skipped to get some sleep. Just saw on my way to the lav they served Häagen Dazs a ice cream.

One thing to complain: The flight left 6pm (30 minutes late due to weather), had the Gin Tonic on my tray table at 7:20pm (Seat 1F), was finished with the main at about 9pm... and desert, duty free shopping still to come. Was so tired I could sleep anyway but not cool SK. I realize the late start was due to weather (a REAL bumpy start) but then between starter and main there was a looooong wait.

Oh yes... the seat sucks!

All over the outbound was bad, just bad. The inbound was pretty good. Let us see what the improvements will bring to us...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:07 am

Today I was served this rye bread in my lunch box intra Europe. The bread was branded as Danskt Rågbröd (Danish rye bread).

But my nose didn’t cheat me, so I discovered that the bread was SWEET!!! Reading the ingredients uncovered, that svart sirap (black syrup) had been added.

Only Swedes put sugar into the rye bread, so this is definitely not Danish bread. But Swedish. A company as SAS should know!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:13 am

There are pizza and hot dog options in the ARN lounge today. Not great in appeal and taste but a decent offering compared to the otherwise Nordic stuff...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha

Only Swedes put sugar into the rye bread, so this is definitely not Danish bread. But Swedish. A company as SAS should know!
Let's claim it's racism and "cultural appropriation". Swedes will bend over backwards to apologize and give us money!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Something like 8 out of 10 last EU sectors on SK in Plus I've got the box with cold salmon. And it was featuring a sweety taste - had to throw it out every time, was uneatable while usually I am pretty fine with Scandi food
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Today I was served this rye bread in my lunch box intra Europe. The bread was branded as Danskt Rågbröd (Danish rye bread).

But my nose didn’t cheat me, so I discovered that the bread was SWEET!!! Reading the ingredients uncovered, that svart sirap (black syrup) had been added.

Yes. Swedes put sugar into bread - have you tried limpa? That's sweet - my Danish in-laws bought it (thought it was the no-grain rye bread) when they were here visiting, and you can imagine what happened .

The Danish rye bread sold in Sweden are just wrong - you can tell it looks wrong (somewhat darker and more shinny), if we want some we will buy it in Denmark.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
HEL-catered Plus breakfast box. Of note: lingonberry-apple yoghurt; Finnish rye bread.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Last week, I took the salad box (which now sports an non-chewable roastbeef instead of the dry salmon, that I actually like), the box was half empty. Also no warm bread was served. Just a packaged bread cracker. Is it a new low? I bet there used to be some starter or dessert in the other half of the box before.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wazow
Is it a new low?
Don't jinx it. SK will see this as a challenge.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:23 pm

Youk.
And once again they put a Swede in charge of spelling. One should think there should be one or two Danes in the company that knows how to spell "Rugbrød"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.