Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I had an excellent special meal (seafood) from Malaga to OSL yesterday.
At first they couldn't find my meal and I had a salmon sandwich instead which was actually OK - it seemed fresh enough.
Then they found a box that didn't have the usual label (name, seat number, smsf) and it was my meal.

3 courses this time:
1: a very good potatoe salad, cold smoked salmon slice, rucola - all very fresh.
2: fruit salad with fresh fruits.
3: a selection of 3 Spanish cheeses and butter (yes butter - must have been catered from Malaga).
No bread as usual but they had some rugbrød on board.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Got Sweden'ed away - cost-cutting amid closing hugely profitable flights to the roaring tech hub in Israel for - quote - "political reasons" in Sweden. Now we're cost-cutting an already cheap champagne to offer something poorer.

It's the non-vintage and it's highly acidic compared to the Henriot. Where the Henriot had a slight tone of something sweet and that umami smell that carries well in the air, too, we're now left with something that'll contribute to my soon-to-materialize stomach ulcer.

Who's taking bets on when Sweden will ask that SAS becomes a dry airline because alcohol is "offensive"?
LOL... You know, as someone wrote previously Charles Heidsieck is a great non-vintage. The current release is to 60 % based on 2008 which is a very drinkable vintage to put it mildly. You would probably find that 9 of 10 people enjoy the Heidsieck. Kudos to SAS (and SQ) for catering these bubbles in C class.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SthlmFlyer
LOL... You know, as someone wrote previously Charles Heidsieck is a great non-vintage. The current release is to 60 % based on 2008 which is a very drinkable vintage to put it mildly. You would probably find that 9 of 10 people enjoy the Heidsieck. Kudos to SAS (and SQ) for catering these bubbles in C class.
In more cosmopolitan countries where we have other options than the state liquor store (now open 10-4, five days a week, wohoo), Heidsieck is not a premium option. Sorry.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
It is an ok champagne. Not terrible. Not great.

Can we at least agree that the vintage Henriot they used to have sells for 25-35% more before taxes?

Claiming this is an upgrade seems somewhat lame even if it is a decent product.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScandiGB

Can we at least agree that the vintage Henriot they used to have sells for 25-35% more before taxes?

Bingo. Thanks. Hope your Pandion year is still going well!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
It is an ok champagne. Not terrible. Not great.

Sure, the Henriot 2006 vintage is more expensive. But what SAS catered was the 2007 vintage, which in terms of quality (and probably price) is not in a higher league than the current Heidsieck NV. At high altitude the relative high acidity of the Heidsieck comes in handy IMO.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sure, the Henriot 2006 vintage is more expensive. But what SAS catered was the 2007 vintage, which in terms of quality (and probably price) is not in a higher league than the current Heidsieck NV. At high altitude the relative high acidity of the Heidsieck comes in handy IMO.
The 2007 Henriot was already a bit of a step down from the prior selection. Which was not a standard Henriot vintage, but I forget now which one it was. It was before I started keeping track of all champagnes I try.

SQ until recently served Bolinger on long haul, though not sure about the regional J flights. I would be sad if they made a change to the CH.

There is indeed no guarantee that a vintage from one house is better than a NV from another. And then throw in personal taste and preferences, it is an endless point of discussion which one is best. However I am fairly certain this change was made for monetary reasons rather than flavours. For me it is a cut on both accounts, for some it will be an improvement or status quo in terms of flavour. Calling it as I believe someone did the the world's best NV Brut is somewhat of a hyperbole.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: SK-EBD
This ’dining-experience’ was good.

Flying late evening GVA-CPH in eco (with Mrs. Alpha) I had preordered food, which appeared to be exactly the same as is handed out in Plus.

The food-box itself is by far no gourmet, but happened to be one of the better ones, and the overall experience was great.

Sitting in row 12, we had our meal before it reached row 1 – brought by a very enthusiastic CA. He rushed back after the warm bread and took our orders for drinks – which also came fast.

He was clearly aware of my Diamond-status, so no need to show the card. Nor was that the case when we got something more to drink from the regular trolley service later.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:36 am

On a flight to Rome today, I didn't get my special meal (fish/seafood).
Instead I got another kind of special meal - Bland.
It had my name on it and all.
Imagine calling a meal Bland....a not very appetizing name.
I took one look at it - it looked bland and vegetarian - and declined.
Luckily the normal meal was poached salmon and cold potatoes and it was nice and fresh.
Crew offered to file a complaint on my behalf but I declined as I was happy enough with the normal meal.
Later I was asked if I was sure I didn't want it as someone in Go actually wanted to buy it..... bon appetit.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by helosc
On a flight to Rome today, I didn't get my special meal (fish/seafood).
Instead I got another kind of special meal - Bland.
It had my name on it and all.
Imagine calling a meal Bland....a not very appetizing name.
I took one look at it - it looked bland and vegetarian - and declined.
Luckily the normal meal was poached salmon and cold potatoes and it was nice and fresh.
Crew offered to file a complaint on my behalf but I declined as I was happy enough with the normal meal.
Later I was asked if I was sure I didn't want it as someone in Go actually wanted to buy it..... bon appetit.
Bland is one of the normally available special meals on most if not all airlines. Indeed considering what the low cabin pressure and dry air normally does to flavours, it does make one wonder who orders this in the first place. Maybe pulling a prank on a friend where you happen to know their PNR?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:11 am

And on my way home from Bologna on Tuesday evening, my special fish meal hadn't been loaded - no problem as I had eaten so much bresaola in Bologna during the day that I couldn't really claim to be hungry......
Seems it is a bit hit and miss with the special meals.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin

Long-haul

Again, it's okay. My main problem here is how bloody long it takes to serve a few courses. Get the show on the road, FFS.

There are just some incredible disappointments there, too. If you want to do salmon, do it a little more inspired than "here's a brick of frozen salmon and 1 type of lettuce to accompany it".

SK J isn't cheap. I can often fly BA F for the same price (BA F is just a good J, though, so it all evens out). I'd like to see SK command that price premium. Why not aspire to be the transatlantic product from a value-for-money perspective? People do go out of their way for a good experience and this might be how we get SEA and LAX back to the real hub, CPH.

At zero cost, SK could vastly improve their long-haul offering in terms of the soft product. Food is a big part of this. Execution another. The hard product is amazing as is.
Does SK serve an abbreviated meal service in business class on late-night flights. Considering ORD-CPH, which is on the A340 and leaves at 10pm...sounds like old angled seats and probably a one-tray business class. Does anyone know if that's the case or is it the standard, chef service?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does SK serve an abbreviated meal service in business class on late-night flights. Considering ORD-CPH, which is on the A340 and leaves at 10pm...sounds like old angled seats and probably a one-tray business class. Does anyone know if that's the case or is it the standard, chef service?
Same meal service on all flights.

SK have no planes left with angled business class seats, all are full flat.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
To many travellers dislike, SK does not make the option available or service an expedited meal service in any class on night flights.

So its either eat and don't sleep enough or don't eat and do sleep enough.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
To many travellers dislike, SK does not make the option available or service an expedited meal service in any class on night flights.

So its either eat and don't sleep enough or don't eat and do sleep enough.
This is one where there is no winning for the airlines. Make a light service concept for sleeper flights and people complain that there is no proper food, make a full service concept and people complain they can't sleep, but even when they have a both people complain that the noise from the meal service for the rest of the passengers prevents sleeping. So whatever they do there is a section of the passengers that are unhappy.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.