Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by keitherson
Can someone explain the obsession with butter to me? New to the SAS subforum..
Well, some of us here like our butter.
And it's a bit of a joke by now; we have several threads that's sort of turned into 'butter' threads.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
CPH-EWR flight on Saturday had better food this time around in business. Never quite impressive but definitely better than the rest of the plane. I bothered with photos (coming soon) because they served 'caviar'... with cream and chives?

I'm learning which fish to order and not order on planes... this one came out much better than the last fish but still wasn't to a quality I'd like.

Sort of excited to see what my return flight will have. Glad they change up the menu frequently. Could use more liquorice at the snack bar ^.^

Still working through all the shorter connection snack boxes... maybe I'll just go for a sandwich next time? Never quite sure what to order on the MAN-CPH conmection even though I'm on that the most...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:28 am

The J meal on my SFO-CPH flight on Saturday was again rather 'difficult'. Actually the entree was basically the same I had outbound in economy.... a piece of chicken with potato mash, some red sauce and beans. Literally the same! With the only difference that on the outbound it was actually much better than I ever hoped for... juicy meat, crunchy beans while the opposite in the way back in J. Dry meat and soft (almost mashed) cooked beans.

By the way, also no Swedish caviar (which I do not miss that much...) ancient danish crew which did minimal service and managed to do for hours with even the slightest attempt to smile...

i felt like the catering was loaded in CPH. No idea how in the hell they would have managed to get the very Scandinavian starters (e.g. In red beetd braised cold salmon with dill and cucumber) in the US ;-)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy

i felt like the catering was loaded in CPH. No idea how in the hell they would have managed to get the very Scandinavian starters (e.g. In red beetd braised cold salmon with dill and cucumber) in the US ;-)
Red beet, salmon, dill and cucumber are actually very simple ingredients to get your hands on anywhere in the world. I could probably get them in any supermarket here in Tokyo. Then making something Scandivanian style is not too tricky either.

I doubt very much that anything but some of the bar trolleys are return catered. It just takes too much space on a long haul.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:00 am

Yes, I know... i was joking

still very disappointing catering for a 2.500$ ticket...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Yes, I know... i was joking

still very disappointing catering for a 2.500$ ticket...
It does sound like the SK longhaul catering is on a rapid downwards trajectory. these days. Maybe I should not be sad that I will have to switch my upcoming flight to Copenhagen to a JL long haul, and some intra Europe Work hops before heading to Copenhagen.... (Work got in the way of flying direct)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The JL Dreamliner service to HEL with a quick hop to CPH in J is hardly punishment.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
The JL Dreamliner service to HEL with a quick hop to CPH in J is hardly punishment.
This would be JL to Frankfurt, a quick hop to Berlin, a quick hop to Istanbul, and then a final hop to Copenhagen. But yes, the JL J long haul leg is always nice.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I will post pictures later, but I was not impressed with the food on NRT-CPH a couple of days ago. The menu was catering to Japanese rather than Scandinavian, which is good. However the execution was poor, most was overcooked (specially the rice) and I was thinking this was on the small size.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: EUROBONUS SILVER
Hej Guys, I am usually flying sas plus Short-Haul but i have an upcomming Short-Haul LH Business class flight. Will the food / service be of a similar level?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:04 am

Depends... how short the short haul is

fir very short fights like HAM-FRA the service and meal is minimal (still better than the non-existing one on SK for such short flights).

for a 2 to 3 hour flights the catering is nothing to write home about but significantly better than SKs Plus meal box.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
IKEA
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
IKEA
Very true - my son is getting 'knækbrød' in IKEA in Hong Kong....
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:43 am
RJ1

The J meal on my SFO-CPH flight on Saturday was again rather 'difficult'. Actually the entree was basically the same I had outbound in economy.... a piece of chicken with potato mash, some red sauce and beans. Literally the same! With the only difference that on the outbound it was actually much better than I ever hoped for... juicy meat, crunchy beans while the opposite in the way back in J. Dry meat and soft (almost mashed) cooked beans.

By the way, also no Swedish caviar (which I do not miss that much...) ancient danish crew which did minimal service and managed to do for hours with even the slightest attempt to smile...

Hmmm. Serving the same food in economy and business? Do they even plate it differently?

First SAS flight coming up soon, in J from the US. Not sure I am looking forward to the soft product based on this report, but hopefully the hard product is as good as it looks in photographs.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by RJ1
Hmmm. Serving the same food in economy and business? Do they even plate it differently?
yes, china in Plus and J and Aluminium in economy.

Originally Posted by RJ1
First SAS flight coming up soon, in J from the US. Not sure I am looking forward to the soft product based on this report, but hopefully the hard product is as good as it looks in photographs.
i would say US to Europe tends to be better than their other way around with a 2 out of 4 horrible dinner experience while so far ex-CPH I'm at at 4 out of 5 times rate for bad food this year.

the hard product is excellent and what makes me come back (next to availability, schedule and price) but the service and food is hit or miss with the odds not in the customers side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.