Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Pulled pork is also available in the CPH lounge on some days (it seems that they are standardizing the menus in lounges?).

On another note: I was on a cityjet operated WAW-CPH morning flight in PLUS recently, and the breakfast cube offered has little in common with the one I usually experience on SK and Cimbair operated flights. The paper box was original, but the content was entirely sourced locally. It barely fit the cube, and had little to do with the vision of "modern thinking of Scandinavia" printed on the little leaflet inside. Some stuff was the same as available in LO lounge in WAW, so I presume Do&Co has prepared the cube. This was the first time I experienced this. Possibly a new cost saving measure.

It could also be an illusion, but it appeared to me that the pitch is smaller in the CityJet CRJs than in Cimbair's. The machines are visibly newer, but feel "cheaper" in every respect (this was the first time I tried a CRJ by CityJet).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It could be that the morning flights need to be catered locally because they can't cater it from the hub as the aircraft stands in WAW overnight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Meal on SK936 was terrible and arguably the smallest portion size I've ever had on an airplane ever. No beef option so took the next best meat choice which was a sausage the size of a teaspoon. Was denied a second main, despite plenty being packed to be thrown on arrival.

Surprisingly the ARN lounge currently has a pulled pork warm choice option which is very edible.
I find the catering ex-US poor in every aspect. Did a CPH-EWR roundtrip in C last week. CPH-EWR was ok at best but EWR-CPH was not good. Actually quite sad that SK can not provide a better catering as I find the hard product one of the best around.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:42 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
OK so SAS, could you please seriously review the catering in Plus short haul ?
I had 6 flights in Plus in the last three months and I find the box impractical and frankly quite cheap. The food is good but not enough quantity for some long flights. But mainly please give a non Scandinavian option. I do like Scandinavian cuisine (I lived 10 years in Norway) but sometimes what the tired traveller wants is some comfort food. Today for example I would have loved a simple dish, as opposed to the salmon with fennel and pumpkins. Also the muffin is really not my taste, a simple bread as an alternative choice is a must.
The chocolates on the other hand are lovely. And the Simply Chocolate protein bar great.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:38 am

Actually,on the last 4 flights out of CPH i had the cube only one time. Three times they served the PLUS meal in some transparent plastic box.

Not a problem for me - I don’t like the cube concept anyway and as usual the meals were really bad. Some cold cuts on salad and bulgur/potato salad. Yummy...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BHIL
I find the catering ex-US poor in every aspect. Did a CPH-EWR roundtrip in C last week. CPH-EWR was ok at best but EWR-CPH was not good. Actually quite sad that SK can not provide a better catering as I find the hard product one of the best around.
Hm, I find this consistently to be the other way around and this SK936 was an exception. I don't understand where they found a caterer in the US that makes portion sizes so small, a US domestic meal will easily be 3-4x the volume. No steak is bothersome, this should be a default option in any real business class.

The catering from ARN/CPH to the US is consistently inedible and tasteless.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK2751
Pulled pork is also available in the CPH lounge on some days (it seems that they are standardizing the menus in lounges?).
This was the 2nd or 3rd time I saw this available, I hope they are. This was a first positive in many negative catering decision making by SAS. They had pizza a while back as well. Both the pizza and the pulled pork where very popular and I hope SK has picked up on that.

Some stuff was the same as available in LO lounge in WAW, so I presume Do&Co has prepared the cube. This was the first time I experienced this.
The Do&Co catering on OS is outstanding. Usually the CRJ by CityJet flights have the same box, Oliver could be on to something. The blue boxes used to have a "best by" and "packed on" date so you could tell how old they where, I'm not sure if the cubes do. I've had more than blue box which was served on its "best by" date, many days after it was packed.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:09 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Hm, I find this consistently to be the other way around and this SK936 was an exception. I don't understand where they found a caterer in the US that makes portion sizes so small, a US domestic meal will easily be 3-4x the volume. No steak is bothersome, this should be a default option in any real business class.

Steak being difficult to properly cook on an airline oven, I honestly rather do without it. And I think a real business class can do without a steak, this is not really comfort food neither culinary.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:13 am

Is that why all their competitors consistently offer it and run out by the time the FA reaches row 5 (unless given priority for meal selection)? It is just one of those options that most people appreciate, despite not cooked to perfection.

Experimenting with catering clearly isn't working out for SK.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Is that why all their competitors consistently offer it and run out by the time the FA reaches row 5 (unless given priority for meal selection)? It is just one of those options that most people appreciate, despite not cooked to perfection.

Experimenting with catering clearly isn't working out for SK.
They don't all. UA serves their weird short rib dish, which is terrible and far from being a steak.. But it is beef.at least I think it is.

It is not that unusual to get a business class menu without a steak. Or maybe I am just flying the wrong airlines.
​​​​​
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
All three US carriers have a menu of beef, chicken, pasta/salmon. It is rather predictable and boring. I like that AY and SK try to bring in some local touch.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:47 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I completely agree that bringing some local touch is good. LX does it too and this is appreciable.

What I would love is to have the choice. On short haul with SK this does not happen and this is my main criticism.
AY is doing it rather well: i had last week beef (but not steak) in a Karelian stew. This was perfect and an interesting dish as well.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Last time was ok (as in so-so), but maybe that was an exception. Overall not impressed with SK C/Y+ catering. Local touch or not.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:14 pm

Fine with local touch, it can be in addition to a permanent steak option just to be boring and consistently pleasing instead of consistently disappointing.

I really like the reindeer on AY so they solve it in a different way.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:51 am

I took SK590 and SK963, with SK964 and SK2591 return a few weeks ago. I am in Y+ in all segments.

The long haul segments catering were not too bad, but the short haul segments catering were just not good enough with the cubes.

Weird taste salmons and source. Muffins with other ingredients were a wrong match completely. I do agree that chocolates are lovely.

I will just consume them anyways. The portion is sufficient with respect to corresponding flight durations .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.