Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
It must have been the flight MUC to Copenhagen. Cubes are only for medium-haul flights (anything in between 80 minutes and 4 hours), long-haul you get an upgraded economy meal with two options to choose from. Overall I think the SAS Plus product is a good one, especially long-haul I find it very nice in terms of space, service and pricing (often below 1.000 € when booked a bit ahead and in Saver). Short and medium haul I also book it when the price difference between GO and PLUS is less than 30 - 80 € (depending on distance) or in case I need flexibility. Personally I like the Cube and I also have to state that the new, hot muffins/rolls have become much more tasty recently. They just serve a rather light very Scandinavian style of food and I personally prefer it over the general international pasta or stew you get in other Premium Economy products. I though know that others have different taste.
AStarr likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tgj1974
I actually think its improved a bit. Now the bread/egg thingies are actulaly eatable - sort of.
They're edible but they're still cheap and not that great and super awkward. The entire dining concept is weird within Europe. I like the contents of the Cube... But I can't stand the Cube itself. At least they made everything bite sized so you can go at it with just the fork, knives not necessary.

On a fun note, I've noticed in Google flights and somewhere else that Plus within Europe is being referred to as premium economy now instead of business which is reflective of the on-board experience. It's not been consistent at all in this labelling but at least it lowers your standards. Prices are what I'd expect for premium economy as well on most of my routes. Checking out similar routes on other airlines I realised I'd be paying a lot more for their business class and not entirely sure that I'd be getting much different (other than food on a tray with flatware and that's not worth the often significant price difference to me when all the rest of the services remain the same in most cases from what l can tell)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes the cube pictured above was for MUC CPH. The longhaul was regular business.
On the way back from CPH to MUC I was on codeshare operated by Lufthansa and got this to eat.
AStarr likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes the cube pictured above was for MUC CPH. The longhaul was regular business.
On the way back from CPH to MUC I was on codeshare operated by Lufthansa and got this to eat.
My meals on Air France were like this for intra-European business class. I'm about to see what TAP has to offer next week. Seriously, if the cost weren't such a big difference, I'd fly with a different airline for my regular routing (CPH-MAN-LHR-CPH). On the LHR-CPH route, I am back to flying in Go and getting a sandwich from Caviar House because screw it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:09 am

Yeah, Lufthansa short-haul C catering is a total disaster (I´ll make exceptions for LIS/MAD and any other longer routes with hot meals), really tired of getting a sugary cereal with chocolate for breakfast for my typical morning departures OSL-FRA/MUC.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I flew NRT to CPH in Plus.

First meal was a choice between chicken with rice, and white fish with potatoes and lobster sauce. I rarely trust boiled potatoes in economy or PY So went with the chicken. It looked decent, but tasted strange. I wondered if the chicken used was past due date. The sauce and the rice was fine, so was the salad and the desert.

Seconds meal was a pasta. Again it looked decent, and the taste was fine with a bit of extra salt.

​​​​​​
Between the meals, the crew came though the cabin with drinks and snacks pretty often. And there was mid flight sandwich and ice cream service.

Not an impressive offering compared to JAL that I am more used to. But pretty solid, and in line with what I have had on Lufthansa. IF I ignore the chicken meat.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:51 am

Okay after being served a decent duck leg on TAP, l never want to eat the Cube again. I just want to cry instead. I have seen the other side.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by AStarr
Okay after being served a decent duck leg on TAP, l never want to eat the Cube again. I just want to cry instead. I have seen the other side.
Yes, TAP business plays in a different league. Sad to see my project in LIS closing down next months. Was a good year! Fun fact TAP is the only airline I ever saw where business class seats were lower than economy if economy was quite fully booked. Had a lot of C flights HAM-LIS-HAM for about 300€ while economy was about 800€. Got a evil eye from the customer when they saw I was flying C all the time until I did show them the price for Y.

TAP still holds the record for the best steak at FL32! From a A320 galley!
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, TAP business plays in a different league. Sad to see my project in LIS closing down next months. Was a good year! Fun fact TAP is the only airline I ever saw where business class seats were lower than economy if economy was quite fully booked. Had a lot of C flights HAM-LIS-HAM for about 300€ while economy was about 800€. Got a evil eye from the customer when they saw I was flying C all the time until I did show them the price for Y.

TAP still holds the record for the best steak at FL32! From a A320 galley!
TAP catering is great when the staff isn't "short-handed" and decides not to do service at all.
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
TAP catering is great when the staff isn't "short-handed" and decides not to do service at all.
I've heard this happens often.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:17 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Not anymore apparently since a few months. The Other European Airlines forum has details.
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Not anymore apparently since a few months. The Other European Airlines forum has details.
Interesting that it seems to have stopped from around the time that US blogger who calls himself 'Lucky' (One Mile At A Time) did a piece on how he took a J class TAP flight and got served nothing but water.
royng, zeer0 and AStarr like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Interesting that it seems to have stopped from around the time that US blogger who calls himself 'Lucky' (One Mile At A Time) did a piece on how he took a J class TAP flight and got served nothing but water.
That was coincidence. TAP was having a strike at the time and flying with minimum crew who did their best to show the agreed with the strike.
AStarr likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by AStarr
I like the contents of the Cube... But I can't stand the Cube itself. At least they made everything bite sized so you can go at it with just the fork, knives not necessary.
Unfortunately it isn’t true. Recently I had roast beef and turkey in big slices. Especially the cow was hard to eat.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: SK-EBD
The cube will disappear (at least) in the morning, my purser told me today. He didn't know when. It will be a more normal tray.
AStarr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.