Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
But ARN-LHR on BA in CE should be a new 'long-haul' CE concept (starter and main course served separately). In this case BA might actually be better...
Cool, didn't know about that. what is the flight time or distance required to have this type of CE service?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone ordered an Asian Veg meal on longhaul SAS? I want to enjoy the a la carte service from the service cart? but am afraid if I order a special meal, it will be served all at once ona boring tray. Anyone have experience with this? Do FAs still let you enjoy the appetizers/desserts/cheese from the service carts as well? or only the vegetarian meal assigned to you?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Cool, didn't know about that. what is the flight time or distance required to have this type of CE service?
See this thread. The only "long" Nordic destinations are ARN and HEL.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:49 am

I had about 10 short-haul flights on TAP in J Germany-LIS and back in the last few weeks. Besides being ridiculous cheap (booked my trip this week Monday-Wednesday last Friday for under 400€, including the HAM-MUC flight on LH, return direct) I am really impressed on the quality of the meal service. Last trip they served a perfect steak, medium-rare with nice sweet potato mash and a fantastic sauce, on the way back fantastic shrimps und this Monday Tortellini Carbonars.

Every single time very tasty, fresh, great to look at and served with a smile. Add really nice (but probably not that expensive) red to it and it made a serving which outshines SK long-haul by miles.

So, it CAN be done. Most carriers just don't want to... and SK being on the list of worst meal offenders with sky high pricing.

To bad TPs long haul fleet is not yet fully fitted with new cabins. Otherwise I might give them some business after these last few weeks. And the free stopover on LIS is not too bad as well. Very nice city.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I had the same menu on my flight from EWR-CPH as I did IAD-CPH in March/April. No biggie - I didn't get my first choice on the first flight for apps or entrees. What I had was still good though. I'm very entertained by the food on this airline in a good way for the most part. Though, I'm hoping my next long hauls with SAS will change the menu... I thought it was maybe a bit odd to encounter the same menu twice but that could have been due to not having so much time (about a month) in between flights

Menu for both returns to CPH

For IAD-CPH
Prawn appetiser: one of the prawns was not quite perfect, but the other was

Chicken entree: much better than it looked, I was surprised. Texture worked out well for everything

For EWR-CPH
This was the scallop app. I really enjoyed the scallops but found it all to be a bit on the bland side somehow... I was hoping for more flavour excitement.

The halibut entree. I would eat this again in a heartbeat.

For CPH-EWR
I guess I forgot to snap photos... but I did get one of the dab fillet entree. It was mediocre. Should've gone with the chicken and chorizo. Definitely had the mushy airplane food thing going on but the flavour was solid. As was all the champagne and Sauternes I ended up drinking... oops... never thought I'd like sweet wine?
Old May 19, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Interesting, the chicken picture does not look to terrible. I have literally never seen a prawn starter on SK flights, you got lucky! I do get the scallops a lot but they are usually tasteless, which is unfortunate as they are some of my favourite starter options.

The rest looks pretty bland, would opt of the Halibut perhaps but the presentation is terrible.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Interesting, the chicken picture does not look to terrible. I have literally never seen a prawn starter on SK flights, you got lucky! I do get the scallops a lot but they are usually tasteless, which is unfortunate as they are some of my favourite starter options.

The rest looks pretty bland, would opt of the Halibut perhaps but the presentation is terrible.
I was really pleasantly surprised by the halibut given my other experiences with fish on SAS ^.^ the only other airline I've had fish is Icelandair and they do a good job with salmon or arctic char (granted, that's hard to screw up from my experience); SAS should maybe consider a more meaty fish...

I'm not picky on presentation so much as just hoping it's served in a way that might spill less in the case of minor turbulence ^.^

One fun thing I've noticed is they are very proactive on drinks. I've had up to five glasses at once on that table... it seems excessive and entertaining at the same time. I also seem to luck out with cabin crew. I've had a range from sweet, funny, chirpy, and almost silly to grandmotherly and concerned.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
When flying FI it is impossible not to take the Icelandic lamb. It is absolutely amazing.

I get the 'grandmotherly' category a lot, rarely (never) also concerned.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: EBG
Gold lounge in CPH has hot food - big trays of 'chicken breast'. Is this a new thing or been around a while? Been a month or so since my last connection through CPH.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
I had the "Wagyu brisket" on my flight from ORD a couple of days ago, but it was one of the worst pieces of meat I have ever had. It was so overdone and dry that there was no way that anyone could enjoy it. It was an insult to wagyu meat.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
CPH lounge has these warm meals for several month now. I found most of them barely edible though . I still stick to well salted soups, bread, salmon, and salads, but perhaps this is my bad taste. I find the chicken, burger patties, etc. very synthetic in taste.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by wazow
CPH lounge has these warm meals for several month now. I found most of them barely edible though . I still stick to well salted soups, bread, salmon, and salads, but perhaps this is my bad taste. I find the chicken, burger patties, etc. very synthetic in taste.
I didn't dare to try the burgers either, to make things worse they took away the nice cup noodles at CPH lounge.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:13 pm

They still have the cup noodles but you need to ask to get them handed out from the kitchen staff
Old May 31, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
They still have the cup noodles but you need to ask to get them handed out from the kitchen staff
I actually did ask - last time it was late April (I asked once Early April already) they said no more cup noodles and told me to write to SK to complain about it. I even told them that we got it in February and they said they cut that recently.

My kids were so disappointed.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:28 am

Meal on SK936 was terrible and arguably the smallest portion size I've ever had on an airplane ever. No beef option so took the next best meat choice which was a sausage the size of a teaspoon. Was denied a second main, despite plenty being packed to be thrown on arrival.

Surprisingly the ARN lounge currently has a pulled pork warm choice option which is very edible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.