Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's eat, or let's not eat [SAS Catering Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:05 am

[QUOTE=SkOrdBgo;35913095]There is now an option to opt-out of the Plus inter-Europe meals

What I find disingenuous about this is that the product is already so weak; they understand wastage is increasing and rather than increasing the value proposition, you are asked to not take a meal. And whilst by itself it is a reasonable question, not even saying "you can opt to select from the onboard BoB menu" or toss some extra points your way to not select a meal, I find just, uh, a bit poor customer service.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
So degrade to the food quality to a point your dog wouldn't eat it and then give you the option to not even get it but still pay for it in the fare? That sounds like the usual environmental fraud we're seeing.

Where is the "I want an edible meal." option?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
​​​​​​Once it is well known, they'll probably start charging for special meals as they do for long haul.
Could you clarify what they do for special meals, i.e. gluten-free, for long haul? It looks like there is an extra charge of between $10 and $29 per flight segment for a medical meal on one page on their website, but another page it gives a little (very little) info on special meals and how to order them, but doesn't mention the supplemental charge.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Could you clarify what they do for special meals, i.e. gluten-free, for long haul? It looks like there is an extra charge of between $10 and $29 per flight segment for a medical meal on one page on their website, but another page it gives a little (very little) info on special meals and how to order them, but doesn't mention the supplemental charge.
All special meals in Y, except kosher, are at a charge. At least last I looked kosher was free of charge. So basically, if you want a gluten free meal you will have to pay.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
All special meals in Y, except kosher, are at a charge. At least last I looked kosher was free of charge. So basically, if you want a gluten free meal you will have to pay.
Rightfully so, the problem is that the normal/default option is terrible and it will become a revenue generator through 'premium' meals to get something edible. While I could care less about this in coach or coach+, the default food in Business is well behind the curve and we already pay a very significant premium for those tickets.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 12:28 pm

Interesting, they charge extra for a medically necessary special meal but not a religious one.

Thanks for the clarification on that. Based on the reviews of the meals in this thread, I think I'll pack a bag lunch instead.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Interesting, they charge extra for a medically necessary special meal but not a religious one.
Only the Jewish one. Hindus, for example, follow a vegetarian diet dictated by their religion. But they have to pay for a religious compliant meal on SAS.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo
There is now an option to opt-out of the Plus inter-Europe meals

I’ve got an upcoming itinerary LHR-OSL-ARN-UME and this option appears … but only for ARN-UME. In my experience only the legs to/from London get meal boxes, so they clearly don’t care about chucking those away.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad

SK527 ARN-LHR 2023/12/21 Pre-ordered VGML special meal in SAS Plus. Marinated tofu, giant couscous, crunchy salad and a dab of mystery dressing.

Lots of roast beef meal boxes returned or declined in the rows around me, evidently pre-ordering vegan/veggie meals by phone in advance is a lesser known option.

SK804 LHR-OSL 2024/2/28 Pre-ordered VLML special meal in SAS Plus and it’s basically the same as the VGML I shared back in December, but with cracker bread and a different kind of couscous. Not sure if those differences are VGML/VLML related or because it was catered from a different base.

The default meal offer on this flight was the birch-smoked salmon, so if it makes carnivores feel any better you’re not the only ones getting tired of the same meals.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:53 am

I get nauseous looking at the pictures, our dogs eat better than that.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I get nauseous looking at the pictures, our dogs eat better than that.
I would have taken you more for a husky type than a pedigree poodle haha.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
There's a great place for dog sledding near Umeå, up in Granö (Spruce Island Husky, if you every find yourself here this way). You get to drive your own sled, usually five dogs and two passengers. When you get back to camp, you get to hand out frozen lumps of meat for them to chew on. Bit like being SK cabin crew.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
You are correct and that proves my point. I said our dogs eat better than that, not eat like that.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Norwegian smoked salmon, potato salad, and pickled cucumber.

The salmon was very nice. I really liked the pickled cucumber. The potato salad was, well, potato salad. The rocket salad was fresh and crisp. Would not mind having this again.

(CPH-AMS)
SusanDK and SK2751 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:22 am

As discussed here for a while now, there has been an inconsistency in the way non-standard meals are offered on SK long-haul.

Starting in 2023, it cost 100SEK/DKK/NOK to order a special meal, but not if you ordered a Kosher meal. The order had to be made over the phone.

Spoiler

However, checking up on a forthcoming ARN-EWR trip, we noticed this week that a vegetarian special meal can now be pre-ordered online and at no cost. Mrs Ontheroad (who has only EBS status) is flying in Y later this week and will report back if she actually gets the special meal.

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; Apr 2, 2024 at 2:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.