Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Originally Posted by FFlash
Do we need to take this as cash&points cannot be OT-upgraded as a rule?
That is what I was told by 3 SAS agents. Unless anyone can add something to the contrary, I think it must be the case. [We did get points going over; have not seen if we gotten points for the flight home. 2 different issues, I know, but a small silver lining.]
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:20 am

To be honest, this is what I thought in the first place as is it also stated in the T&C.

Hoped it would be different though. I guess they allowed to place the bid at OT as the booking code for cash+points was a regular revenue booking code - they found out about the supplementary points payment later.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Weird that you can now earn points on cash+points but cannot upgrade.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kallio
Might be worth mentioning that if you don't get an email about your upgrade, check your spam folder. At least my Gmail interpreted "Congratulations! You have been upgraded" message as spam. Not that the confirmation email is really needed anywhere, but it is nice to know which cabin you are going to fly beforehand.
The way I saw my OT upgrade was not the email. But the booking class on the SAS app changed. Then I checked my email, lo and behold the confirmation email was there as well.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by DebitNM
Congrats, Abducted Alien! How far in advance did you get email? When is the flight?
Got an email 3.5 days before departure, flight was at the beginning of April.
Got also EB points credited to my EBB account:
HEL-CPH in GO
CPH-NRT in Business.

OLCI gave us seats together as infant seat was released.

Despite being an old business class, definitely a good way to fly. Flight schedules and total duration was really good for me comparing to LH, TK, NH. Good service by crew, decent catering, good space to relax. Awaiting their upgraded premium cabins if they survive and will not bk.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Apr 14, 2014 at 4:22 am Reason: cat in the lap
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:12 am

I just noticed this on Optiontown info page:
"Maximize your chances for UTo upgrade!
More you sign-up for UTo, higher are your chances to get an upgrade."

Interesting...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by DebitNM
I just noticed this on Optiontown info page:
"Maximize your chances for UTo upgrade!
More you sign-up for UTo, higher are your chances to get an upgrade."

Interesting...
Yes, my OT background consist 4 Intra-Europe flights in business/ economy extra until OT was only available for long haul flights. My friend´s first OT bid went through in this April on CPH-NRT flight, so what is the picture here? I guess there were only two OT bids for that precise flight which went through this time.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:20 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
Upgraded from Go to Plus on Flight 904, EWR to ARN. Had Row 14 A&B all to myself. The email came Monday morning April 7 and the flight was Wednesday, April 9. Received 8,000 EB Points and also got 16,000 extra points for the Christmas Bonus. I am Silver with 2K more points to go until Gold. I flew United from RDU to EWR and my second bag was FREE because of the Upgrade. That saved $100. Upgrade was $269 plus $5.

Last edited by BCC; Apr 14, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
so what is the picture here?
Still a mystery wrapped in an enigma....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:06 pm

From my experience the first OT bid often clears - even if based on the load the upgrade would not clear. Probably to just get people hooked up.

I used quite a lot OT upgrades in the last 2 years and have a 50-50 success rate.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:45 am

Very expensive upgrades!

Dear all
I have used optiontown many times and with great pleasure. However as I was about to add a flight to optiontown, I just realised that their prices are much higher than usual. So high that it really doesn't make sense to use them. It's a CPH-EWR return ticket in end of August 2014, where SAS plus is 641 EUR and business 1356 EUR for one way!

Any of you seen such high prices before? It's basically cheaper to buy the business ticket directly from SAS rather than using optiontown.

Cheers,
prenzla
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:39 am

Yes, seen this before. Prices changed a little bit later to reasonable ones. Keep an eye on the options.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: SK*G
Originally Posted by prenzla
Dear all
I have used optiontown many times and with great pleasure. However as I was about to add a flight to optiontown, I just realised that their prices are much higher than usual. So high that it really doesn't make sense to use them. It's a CPH-EWR return ticket in end of August 2014, where SAS plus is 641 EUR and business 1356 EUR for one way!

Any of you seen such high prices before? It's basically cheaper to buy the business ticket directly from SAS rather than using optiontown.

Cheers,
prenzla
FYI, attempted 3 times now; upgrade from Plus to Business for around EUR 150 each way.

All 3 times (6 one-ways) unsuccessful (CPH-SFO and CPH-ORD), which is not surprising, perhaps, as there are likely people who paid more than I did or upgraded with points.

Does anyone have an inkling whether upgrade with points trumps OT? (SAS may want to reduce their points liability for award seats and give points upgrade in preference?).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 pm

OT should take preference over points upgrades - at least that is what the SAS agent in CPH last Sunday told me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:26 am

@fassy & pobbop: Thanks for your replies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.