Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
I got today at seven in the morning an email from SAS with Electronic Ticket Itinerary and receipt. I was happy to read that my booking class for CPH-NRT was changed to Z. From SAS site I saw that my seat was given to row 7. I´m satisfied, really! My best friend got business upgrade too for the same row, for other side of cabin.

Two separate booking, two OT requests, mine was done at Oct/2013 in the same day after flight booking, friend did OT bid two days after. SAS handled this in a good way!

My OT fees: SK983 PLUS EUR 143 Business EUR 297 + 5 EUR fee. Total EUR 302.
My friend´s: EUR 5 more for B and Z.

Availability as of today:
C/0 D/0 Z/0 J/0 Y/0 S/0 P/0 A/0 E/0 M/0 H/0 Q/0 W/0 V/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 O/0 G/0 B/0

Flight was almost sold out two weeks ago with availability B/1 Z/1. Then the very next day availability was G/9 K/9 T/9 Z/5 and in website there were Go Saver fare available. Week before departure it stayed Y/1 and D/1.

I guess I get priority tag for my luggage at HEL as this is HEL-CPH-NRT flight. CPH flight is in GO. This is also my first long haul flight with SAS as others have been with LH, SQ, MH in whY. If product and service is ok, I´ll switch to SAS. This is a good way to see their old Z class. Thank you.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Congrats, Abducted Alien! How far in advance did you get email? When is the flight?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Sorry, I thought I included, they did sell upgrades for miles/points at gate; 15,000 for
Go Plus and 40,000 for Biz. I am not sure if coach was sold out, I never looked around to see. I only posted what the agent at luggage/document checks told me about not selling upgrades.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM
Sorry, I thought I included, they did sell upgrades for miles/points at gate; 15,000 for
Go Plus and 40,000 for Biz. I am not sure if coach was sold out, I never looked around to see. I only posted what the agent at luggage/document checks told me about not selling upgrades.
Giving out upgrades for points is standard practice. I was never rejected upgrading for points at check-in when there were free seats in Y+ or C. You just have to ask - but I guess being EBG doesn't hurt.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
Quote:

Giving out upgrades for points is standard practice. I was never rejected upgrading for points at check-in when there were free seats in Y+ or C. You just have to ask - but I guess being EBG doesn't hurt.
Even if its an award flight?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:00 pm

Yes, so far I was lucky. Don't fly SK long haul on business that much.

I'm not even sure the agent will see the concrete booking class on the screen when they check you in.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:22 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I have never bought an upgrade for money on SK (other than through OT), but AFAIK it is only supposed to happen on flights from the US to Scandinavia, not from Scandinavia to the US.

The stand-by upgrade for points has been widely advertised and has been around for years, so if what you originally posted had been correct (i.e. only for full flights) that would really have been news.

I have decided not to go for OT for our transatlantic vacation flight this summer. I have earlier counted on OT to get the extra points to qualify for EBG. With earning now back on Norwegian domestic, I am well on my way to qualify for Diamond on segments (I only need 22 more segments before the end of July). With the rising price of OT as reported here, and plenty of available points, I'll rather try to spend 160.000 points for a business upgrade for two. For our trip in June/July OT quotes EUR 422 (+5) for CPH-EWR in C (EUR 174 in Y) and 406/180 for EWR-CPH.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:36 am
ksu

I have experienced, connecting in IAD, that there were so many wanting upgrades for points, that they only accepted requests from EBGs.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:42 pm

Spending 160k points plus paying for two economy trips is not a great value in my opinion. The 160k translate roughly to 1600 Euros... with the AMEX companion ticket you get even a lot more like a long haul business class award for two - e.g. CPH-NRT for 140k with a total value way over 5k Euro.

If you can bear flying economy in case the upgrade doesn't clear I would always opt for OT.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:29 am

Prices are really going up. Just booked a trip for a friend and see for UTo:

CPH-SFO: Y+ to C for 360€
SFO-CPH: Y to Y+ for 317€ and Y+ to C for 731€

But the flight is already in two weeks outbound and three weeks for the flight back.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:56 am

I tried to upgrade with Optiontown yesterday for a flight tomorrow, but I had some technical issues with my credit card. I was phoned up by Optiontown today, but I did not have the time to speak. Now on the website it says tomorrows flight is not available so what can I do? Phone them up? Guess I have to stick with GO.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:51 am

I guess you won't have a chance since the 36 hours check-in dateline already started...

Another factor about my previous comment: The ticket itself was already 2.500 Euros, 1500 for the Y+ outbound, 1000 for the flight back, so the UTo price for Y+ is really not attractive - and even for C questionable.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:58 pm
ksu

Spending 160k points plus paying for two economy trips is not a great value in my opinion. The 160k translate roughly to 1600 Euros... with the AMEX companion ticket you get even a lot more like a long haul business class award for two - e.g. CPH-NRT for 140k with a total value way over 5k Euro.

If you can bear flying economy in case the upgrade doesn't clear I would always opt for OT.
Availability for bonus trips in business class in summer is very low. And the AMEX Companion ticket is very restricted in use (no open jaws for instance).

I'd rather spend 160.000 points than 1676 Euros (which is the OT price for my flights)
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

Hopefully availability will change now with EBD
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:23 am
ksu

Hopefully availability will change now with EBD
My thoughts exactly!

But as I won't hit EBD until May, I couldn't wait for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.