Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by HariBlue108
Hello folks,

I have a couple of questions:

1. When I attempt to go to www.optiontown.com, I keep getting a 503 Service Unavailable Error. Anyone else getting the same error? - Answering my own question, looks like its working now. Must've been some kind of temporary maintenance or glitch that was causing the error to show up.

2. If we do get the upgrade that was requested, then do we accrue miles at a higher rate, for example, for business/first class upgrades?

Thank you!
1. Their website has problems in frequent basis. I couldn´t get in for 1.5 months just for to look my upgrade request. I recommend to try three times per day and in next day and so on

2. Yes, when flying SK with OT upgrade you will get miles according to your booking class. That is Z in long haul (USA/ Asia) business class. Usually SAS sends you a new itinerary to your email where the new cabin class is updated. After that OT sends you congratulation email. This may vary, sometime OT is there for first. Be sure that your flight is ticketed to Z to get 200% miles for EB or your preferred FFP. In this case, other FFP than EB, the cabin class flown accrues miles according to your FFP rules (other metal than theirs), please check them.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Air New Zealand Gold
I applied for the CPH-NRT flight,in feb and May and even though Business was half empty my upgrades(Plus to Business) didn't come through.
Anyone know how many optiontown seats are per plane? or is it a random lottery without logic.....
Old May 20, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I am an idiot. I just booked a flight from OSL to PVG, together with the purchase of an OptionTown. However, 5 minutes after I was done with everything I rechecked my ticket, realised that I booked the wrong flight from CPH to OSL. I booked the later transfer flight. I cancelled my ticket. Will I get the full refund of OptionTown? In addition, when I tried to purchase again OptionTown for my second booking, i realised the price went from 380 to 450 euros?!!!! How does the price jump so fast? Any help guys is much appreciated!

SB
Old May 20, 2014, 12:38 am

Oh, this is interesting. Not that you're an idiot, but this could have happend to any of us. OT price went up as there is already put at least one bid which is yours.
I don't know prosedures for this. Someone wiser should help you. If you Call OT and cancel the bid you better wait and monitor the price as bid is higher few days there.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:26 am

Hi again,

AbductedAlien, thank you for your response! I feel better that i'm not the only one having issues with the OT website.

Certainly, I will check with the *A programs and see what the mileage accrual rate is before I sign up with OT for the upgrade to Z.

One more question, for my trip to ARN from ORD I am getting a quote of $1160 for upgrade to Z for two people, round trip. Is this a good deal or are they (OT) taking me for a ride? If I upgrade to SAS Plus, then it works out a little under $600 RT for 2 people. Opinions?

Thank you!
Old May 20, 2014, 8:26 am

I paid around $215 for an upgrade to Plus outbound (CPH-IAD - originally CPH-EWR but I was re-routed on the day of departure due to a delay of SK909). Inbound I paid $430 for an upgrade to Business (SFO-CPH) but I have to say that double the price did not double the experience. The food was noticably better and the staff very pleasent and attentive. The hard product (angled chair, IFE and personal space) is lagging behind. It sounded like the crew are also looking forward to the upcoming refurbishment of the interior.

However, if you can get Business for $290 per person/leg, I'd go for it...
Old May 20, 2014, 8:52 am

AirportGeekCPH, thanks for sharing your experience. I too feel that the upgrade to Plus seems more reasonable than the upgrade to business. Both out and inbound journey will be on a A330-300, so not sure about the business class. I'll keep checking the price on OT, however, they now know that someone is interested in the upgrade, so i'm not sure how the price is going to balloon over the next few days.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:27 pm

Booked SAS Plus and got OptionTown offer to upgrade to business for $236 each way from SFO-CPH. Seems like a no brainer to try for it right?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:22 pm

I would go for it. I enjoyed SAS business even when my seat was in row 7, front row of mini cabin A343.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Seems like a no brainer to try for it right?
Yes, it is. Go for it!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:35 pm

Done and done. Fingers crossed that they work out.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:18 am

just had my upgrade clear on OT from GO to PLUS for ARN-ORD flight, about 60 hours out from departure....

OT cost was 177 Euro. Having needed the third bag, the u/g really only worked out to 102 Euro... Not a bad deal.

Having now seen the PLUS seatmap, it seems there was a lot of availability... I could have maybe rolled the dice on an op-up as a *G (albeit with A3).

im curious if anyone had any luck getting an op-up on an OT Plus ticket...?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I'm flying HEL-CPH-IAD-CPH-HEL on September.

If I will upgrade CPH-IAD-CPH parts of the trip to Plus or Business will my new baggage allowance (2x23kg) also be updated on connecting HEL-CPH flight and vice versa? All flights are on same SK issued ticket. It is not possible to upgrade HEL-CPH flights in OT. It will be pretty stupid if new baggage allowance would not be upgraded also. What do you think?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:57 am

It is my experience that the allowance for the new booking class is also extended to connecting flights. Both when the first leg was on SAS (connecting to United) and when the first leg was either United (inside the alliance) or American (interline) connecting to SAS.

The amount was raised (when the upgrade to Plus was granted) and weight as well (when the upgrade to Business was granted). The last time (SEA-SFO-CPH) I confirmed a heavy bag (23+ kg) at the United kiosk and the agent on the other side seemed puzzled that I was able to do that (without paying a fee or flying business class on the domestic leg) but I suppose IT had done a good job relaying my new allowance based on the Z class SFO-CPH.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by Furry
I'm flying HEL-CPH-IAD-CPH-HEL on September.

If I will upgrade CPH-IAD-CPH parts of the trip to Plus or Business will my new baggage allowance (2x23kg) also be updated on connecting HEL-CPH flight and vice versa? All flights are on same SK issued ticket. It is not possible to upgrade HEL-CPH flights in OT. It will be pretty stupid if new baggage allowance would not be upgraded also. What do you think?
There is no problem. SAS has a nice webpage explaining baggage rules when flying with connections. The relevant part for you is:

If you travel between different TC zones, the airline that you travel with between these zones determines the baggage concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.