Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: SK*G, AS*MVP75k, UA*G
Prices going up

Paid EUR 333 for Biz upgrade CPH - SFO back in beginning of March, and got upgraded, both ways - same pris.

Logging into OT now, and the price has jumped to EUR 560 for a flight coming up end of April, and EUR 484 going back. A pretty sick jump - however the cost price of the tickets were only 1989 NOK so maybe the prices are being upped when booked on the cheapest Economy classes?

Last edited by sohb; Mar 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:25 pm

I'm pretty sure the OT price is calculated on the load factor, the fare base and the number of already placed OT bids on that flight.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
At SFO now, tried sweet talking agent to no avail. She said the flight is not sold out which is the only way they can do upgrades at gate and then only with EB points. She wasn't all that sure how OT hands out seats but that they only get a certain # of seats that is - not all the empty seats are available for OT to sell. Seems like that leaves a lot of cash on the table. But I guess SAS doesn't wAnt to dilute the biz seat.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: M&M,M&B,AMC,HH
My first trip with SAS to NRT and first bid with OT made today.
Decision came just after 9hrs and I was upgraded to C (for less than 300EUR).
So happy
FlightStats for 27th:
Business: 6 (at least) C/6 D/6 Z/0 R/0
Coach: 6 (at least) J/0 Y/6 S/5 P/0 A/0 E/6 M/5 H/5 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 O/0 G/0 N/0

Thank you guys, without you I wouldn't even know there are some other ways to upgrade than to burn miles.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by fassy
I'm pretty sure the OT price is calculated on the load factor, the fare base and the number of already placed OT bids on that flight.
I fully agree. Will review in this weekend what happened for two separate bookings, made by me and my best friend forever, and for two OT bids made in different days (two days). Fare was the same, OT price for my friend was 5€ more after two days, indicating that we were among the first ones making OT bids for that day CPH-NRT flight. I guess.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:14 pm

I was upgraded on my flight yesterday from CPH-IAD to SAS Plus. It was my first time and I paid $207 about a month ago. I got the email on Friday 3 days before letting me know about the upgrade. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but by getting an upgrade they cancel any special meal requests. Minus the food, overall pretty solid for the price to upgrade!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:44 pm

Follow up. In hindsight, I am glad we didn't get the upgrade! We were in row 23; just behind Go Plus. Lots of leg room. We got on plane, watched a movie while having dinner ( pot roast, carrots, mashed potatoes, green salad and Lemmon topped cheesecake and was a crackers and no so good slice of cheese). No free alcoholic beverage, but a free can of coke etc. . After movie, took an Ambien, settled in with a small pillow and light blanket provided and woke up 7 hours later. Had my yogurt and granola and free OJ and we landed shortly thereafter. That $1000 is going to be put to good use here hi Europe.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:17 pm

Welcome to Copenhagen - and the rest of Scandinavia, where VAT and other taxes will make your saved $1000 come in handy

How did you get the "bonus row" - pure coincidence, sweet talking the gate agent or by paying the fee that SAS has begun to charge for these seats?

I thought about paying the app. $55 as a backup for my upcoming CPH-EWR and SFO-CPH legs but I noticed that any such fees will not be reimbursed if I change my itinerary (which I suppose an OT upgrade will count as).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:25 am

I booked the trip and picked the seats last August before they had the fancy price tag; same for return flight. We were in 23 G and H and have 23 E and F on flight back. Those aren't quite as nice as the entertainment screen pulls up out of arm rest, making it a bit cramped. I like being in the 2 seats with 1 being a window seat (which I sat in) it seemed a bit more private. Bit maybe we will get upgrade on flight home ...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Moved the UTo/VN experience here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...g-dont-do.html
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:30 am

hope you enjoyed it
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by SecretGuy
Have people experienced price spikes on Optiontown lately? My flights in May, October & November all start from 380 EUR in Y. Flights are CPH-IAD-CPH and CPH-EWR-CPH..
I agree with you. I got one coming up for April that was paid many months ago at at fair price. Now another trip in September, CPH-EWR and I feel like to have to buy a house.....
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:35 am

Guys, need some input as to how this does look. When I checked a week ago there was more than 18 seats left... and now...only 3
Have opt´ed for both a PLUS and a BUSINESS upgrade, 2persons.

Available Seats:

First:

n/a

Business:

2 (at least)

Coach:

1 (at least)

Other:

Fare Classes:

C/2 D/2 Z/1 R/0

J/0 Y/1 S/0 P/0 A/0 E/0 M/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 O/0 G/0 N/0
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by TheTravellingDane
hope you enjoyed it
Wow, price for upgrades have gone UP!!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:44 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Only full flights qualify for upgrade for points??

Originally Posted by DebitNM
At SFO now, tried sweet talking agent to no avail. She said the flight is not sold out which is the only way they can do upgrades at gate and then only with EB points. She wasn't all that sure how OT hands out seats but that they only get a certain # of seats that is - not all the empty seats are available for OT to sell. Seems like that leaves a lot of cash on the table. But I guess SAS doesn't wAnt to dilute the biz seat.
The speculation used to be that OT was available (or more likely to clear) when flight was full in Economy, thus earning money for not having to Op-Up people.

But the flight having to be sold out to upgrade for points at the gate is new to me. The formal criterion is that there has to be enough meals loaded in the new class. Has anyone else hard this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.