Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:34 am
BCC

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
I flew in April from RDU-EWR-ARN. I purchased an upgrade to SAS PLUS on Optiontown and my second bag was no charge on United. I flew earlier in the year from TPA-ORD-ARN in Go and they charged for my second bag- $100. I was Silver at the time and thought it would be free. United was no help because all the check in was via KIOSK.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:03 am

Which airline issued the ticket and which operating carrier was the first on your itinerary? If I understood another thread right, the ticket has to be issued by SAS (117-xxx) and the first leg has to be with them out of Europe before your benefits (EBS) are worth something on the way back to Europe (and you connect to SAS by flying United).

If you are EBG now, that benefit of the second bag for free is recognized within Star Alliance and you don't need to worry about that when you travel in Go.
But I believe you don't get the third bag for free (EBG perk) if your journery begins in the US.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Originally Posted by AirportGeekCPH
... If I understood another thread right, the ticket has to be issued by SAS (117-xxx) and the first leg has to be with them out of Europe before your benefits (EBS) are worth something on the way back to Europe (and you connect to SAS by flying United).
Just a small correction as in general if you travel between different TC zones, the airline that you travel with between these zones determines the baggage concept. IATA divides the world into Traffic Conference zones TC1, TC2 and TC3.

However, rules for travel to and from the US are slightly different.
  • First carrier baggage rules apply to both outbound and homebound journeys regardless of duration and stopovers.
  • The first carrier in your itinerary is crucial for determining which rules apply for the entire journey to/from the US.
  • The first carrier in the itinerary and the carrier operating the flight may not be the same, meaning that it is a codeshare flight. The first marketing carrier rule applies for the entire journey.

- so it doesn't matter if there were three legs in Europe, or if the trip started in the US. Just like you wrote - if the ticket has to be issued by SAS (117-xxx), then SAS's rules apply for the whole trip and BCC should contact United and ask for a refund. They will probably give it to you, as they risk getting fined by the DOT if they break the rules.

If the ticket was issues by UA, then strictly following the same rules would mean that there was no second bag. However UA has been open to accepting EBS extra baggage when the TATL leg is on SAS, even as a code share. Not as a right, but as a courtesy to a fellow *S.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:02 am

SFO-CPH June 20
Purchased Plus Ticket May 4
Paid $255 for OptionTown request to upgrade to Biz May 4
Received "Upgraded to Business" email June 18
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Welcome to flyertalk sdsilver!

Nice price. Enjoy the espresso machine.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: United, SIA, Delta, Emirates, BA, Continental, etc.
How do Option Town upgrade prices trend?

Scenario: I'm booked on July 10 on SAS's dreaded ex-Lan Chile a340 with no seats comparable to other 340's with SAS Plus seating.

SAS reservations advises business class has a fair number of seats left.

If this remains the case near the July 10th departure, based on past experience, will the Options Town upgrade price from SAS Go to business class drop in order to sell the remaining inventory of unsold biz class seats?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by wildyorkie
Scenario: I'm booked on July 10 on SAS's dreaded ex-Lan Chile a340 with no seats comparable to other 340's with SAS Plus seating.

SAS reservations advises business class has a fair number of seats left.

If this remains the case near the July 10th departure, based on past experience, will the Options Town upgrade price from SAS Go to business class drop in order to sell the remaining inventory of unsold biz class seats?
Based on my experience the lowest Optiontown price is when you book an upgrade early and long time before departure. The price is not dropping in the many cases I have tracked it.

Br,
Henrik
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:39 pm

Hate to the be the guy asking the dumb question, but I've seen inconsistent/minimal info on various forums and SAS's site is pretty vague. Flying IAD-CPH in September and checked out the OT price to Plus. $250 there and $220 back unless they jack it up on me.

What exactly do you get for SAS Plus? I'm pretty squared away on the lounge (if there is one), larger seat, better VOD (usually use an iPad anyway), extra checked bag and carry on. The food/drink reports are fairly nebulous though. Is it just a special meal? Whatever you want from the menu? Complimentary alcohol? "Fast Track" security would appear to do me no good at IAD.

Also can you turn down the upgrade if you get it? I'm traveling with my wife, and if only one of us got bumped up, we may not want it. Nice thing about the 340 is two seats together, so no dealing with a snoring/drooling stranger on an intercontinental overnight. I did read in this thread that SAS/OT seem to be pretty good about upgrading people on the same reservation together. Appreciate the info.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Hi Vic,

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It is not possible to withdraw a bid with Optiontown when you have finalized your payment. However, I have not heard of only half the group being upgraded so I would not worry about that.

I have succeeded in bidding for an upgrade to Plus (Economy Extra) a couple of times and for me personally, the extra legroom and solo armrest has been worth it (similar price as you mention).

Besides that you get lounge access (when operated by SAS - not at IAD), extra checked luggage, two choices for the main course (as opposed to no choice) and an open bar (which has otherwise been shut tight in Economy). The AV system I won't even spend time bothering with... it sucks all the way through Plus and Business with lousy screens and no on-demand in Economy. SAS know that their hard product is not up to date and their staff seem to look forward to cabin upgrades (in 2015) as much as us passengers do.

Enjoy your flight and welcome to Copenhagen...
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by AirportGeekCPH
Hi Vic,

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It is not possible to withdraw a bid with Optiontown when you have finalized your payment. However, I have not heard of only half the group being upgraded so I would not worry about that.

I have succeeded in bidding for an upgrade to Plus (Economy Extra) a couple of times and for me personally, the extra legroom and solo armrest has been worth it (similar price as you mention).

Besides that you get lounge access (when operated by SAS - not at IAD), extra checked luggage, two choices for the main course (as opposed to no choice) and an open bar (which has otherwise been shut tight in Economy). The AV system I won't even spend time bothering with... it sucks all the way through Plus and Business with lousy screens and no on-demand in Economy. SAS know that their hard product is not up to date and their staff seem to look forward to cabin upgrades (in 2015) as much as us passengers do.

Enjoy your flight and welcome to Copenhagen...
Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to be en route to STR, but we'll see if I make the 50 minute changeover in CPH. Staying on SK, so it should be OK. Maybe I'll need to find something to do for a while. Going to STR also means the "Fast Track" security doesn't do me any good. The lounge might in CPH waiting to head back to IAD, if I got both flights upgraded. Which brings me to the next decision to make. If I am upgraded once, and use the extra baggage allowance, I'll have a $210 bill for bags on one of the flights. I guess it may be worth it overall when you spread it all out.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Has anyone used optiontown for a group of 5 pax? Is the sign up fee per PNR or per pax?

TIA!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Everything is per passenger.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
"UTo Not Available" ???

Are there restrictions on upgrade eligible fares from SAS Plus (P class)? After creating a profile and entering my PNR, the OT website shows this for both my outbound and inbound:

• Cabin: SAS Plus
  • SAS Plus: UTo Not Available
  • SAS Business: UTo Not Available
FWIW, it's on SK ticket stock booked through an OTA, who didn't provide (or didn't have) the fare basis or rules. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be in C for the eastbound redeye. I'm wondering if there's something about my ticket that makes it ineligible or if this is a common occurrence. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Tennen
Are there restrictions on upgrade eligible fares from SAS Plus (P class)? After creating a profile and entering my PNR, the OT website shows this for both my outbound and inbound:

FWIW, it's on SK ticket stock booked through an OTA, who didn't provide (or didn't have) the fare basis or rules. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be in C for the eastbound redeye. I'm wondering if there's something about my ticket that makes it ineligible or if this is a common occurrence. Thanks.
P-class on *A usually means business class. Not sure what it is on SK - should be the same.

You might want to try assigning a seat online and check which cabin the system is assigning to you.

Let us know...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tennen

P is a plus booking class, so that should be OK. Is this for intercontinental or European flights? OT is only available for long haul flights. Also, there are is restriction on Tokyo to Copenhagen wich unavailable for OT, but that is the only restriction I have heard of. Maybe it is not the route but just the specific flights that you are on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.