Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 7, 16, 7:59 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: philemer
Wiki Link
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jun 23, 11, 1:09 pm
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SNA
Posts: 16,476
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin View Post
My assumption is that you retain your points, and promotions currently in the account, then with the RC card, your account becomes as RCR primary account and promotions applicable to you are those offered by RCR not MR ( I think they have $$ off promo now). This is my best guess.
Why would opening a RC credit card account switch your MR account to a RCR account, particularly if you already have a MR credit card? It seem to me these are independent events.

1) you have one rewards account, it can be either MR or RCR, and you will receive promotions based on which it is, however you will recieve perks and points at both chains based on your elite status.

2) you have one or both cards, each of which can give you extra points/perks at their home chain only but those points are applied irrespective of which kind of account you have in 1)
VickiSoCal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:36 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin View Post
My assumption is that you retain your points, and promotions currently in the account, then with the RC card, your account becomes as RCR primary account and promotions applicable to you are those offered by RCR not MR ( I think they have $$ off promo now). This is my best guess.
As far as I can tell, my Marriott Rewards acct is still primarily a Marriott Rewards account. Is there some way to tell definitively? If I go to "My Promotions" the only one that appaers is a Marriot-branded "Earn a free night for every 2 paid stays". No sign of any RC branding on the account page or any $$ off promo.

So signing up for the card did not change my rewards account status from one to the other, at least not yet.

Without having seen the promotions offered on the RCR side, I think the odds of finding a promotion that "fits" my travel schedule is probably greater on the MR side, just because of the far greater number of properties & locations. Annoying to have to choose, don't see how that benefits them OR me to have access to only a subset of promotions.
Innerloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:50 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
If the above is correct, does one get Gold in Marriott Rewards for the first year as a result of the RRC and keeps it after a $10,000 annual spend?

If so, then the card fee is approx $200 because of the use of the airline rebate -- so long as you fly enough to justify it.

Then, aside from the benefits listed above inuring to RC stays, etc., what is the priority plus program for lounge access? Does one pay a reduced fee for use of an airline lounge and is that fee reimbursable per the $200 rebate mentioned above.

If so, it then reduces to essentially a $200 card where one can "buy" Gold status. Still not a bad deal in my book.
Your assumption is correct - the Gold status applied to my existing MR account.

$200 in airline fees is pretty easy assuming that it can apply toward upgrade fees, which can be $500 one-way. Some on Amex have gotten reimbursed for club memberships on airlines as well, depends how their computers define "fees".

Priority Plus lounge access is just a network of existing clubs that exist in various airports under different brands. A big part of their network is made up from United, Continental (both of which are going away now with the merger), US Airlines, and a bunch of other regional brands. There are two levels of service, one of which gets you in with a small co-pay, and the other is free of charge. I believe both Amex Platinum and this card give the "Select" free-of-charge ones. Its a nice benefit because no one can maintain status or memberships in enough airlines to get lounges in as many locations as they have agreements, but its also completely redundant to the same benefit on Amex Plat. Not sure what a fair retail value for that benefit would be, $100?

One possible upside would be since Priority Pass lounges charge for a guest, having TWO membership cards would mean a second person could benefit for free.

But overall I think the benefit is buying status, which is pretty much the most expensive thing you can buy these days. The biggest unique benefit of the Centurion card is purchased status on various airlines. With Amex Plat you get "purchased" status only on SPG to Silver (which is worthless). Even with the most expensive-fee Airline cards, you don't get to directly buy status, but you get ways to contribute toward status.

So the calculus is basically:

- Free Gold status: $200 or so if you wouldn't normally qualify
- Airport Lounges: $100-ish
- Airline Fees: $200
- Club-level upgrades from RC: $150 conservatively?
- 50k points to start with: $250? half-cent-per?

So overall I think the value is there, at least for the first year.
Innerloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:54 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin View Post
I think 100$ credit applies to any rate. At least, T&C do not indicate otherwise.
The Ritz Dove Mountain currently has a $77 military rate. If we can get $100 resort credit for two nights, that'd be AWESOME!

OK, we (meaning my wife) may have to get one of these credit cards. She's doing a lot of traveling right now but is still a MR silver; I guess this would bump her up to gold + the Priority Pass Select lounge access would be great, as she's doing a lot of traveling right now.

I assume that the cardholder would still get all of these benefits even if they stay on the Marriott side of the system?


Edit: Anyone know if additional cardholders (me on my wife's account) would have Priority Pass benefits? Is there any additional charge for additional cards?

Last edited by iflyjetz; Jun 23, 11 at 2:13 pm
iflyjetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 2:35 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 4,866
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
Priority Plus lounge access is just a network of existing clubs that exist in various airports under different brands. A big part of their network is made up from United, Continental (both of which are going away now with the merger), US Airlines, and a bunch of other regional brands. There are two levels of service, one of which gets you in with a small co-pay, and the other is free of charge. I believe both Amex Platinum and this card give the "Select" free-of-charge ones. Its a nice benefit because no one can maintain status or memberships in enough airlines to get lounges in as many locations as they have agreements, but its also completely redundant to the same benefit on Amex Plat. Not sure what a fair retail value for that benefit would be, $100?

One possible upside would be since Priority Pass lounges charge for a guest, having TWO membership cards would mean a second person could benefit for free.
The comparable Priority Pass is $395/yr. However, the Priority Pass Select will no longer have access to United and Continental lounges after Sep 30, 2011. Also, it looks like you've got access to just about every American lounge. Since my wife primarily flies American, this would be a nice benefit.

So the pass is worth $395/yr minus the loss of United/Continental lounges. Call it $200 value.
I'm really thinking that this would be great if I can get my wife as primary cardholder and me as secondary - if I get lounge access, that'd be huge. Otherwise, I would have to pay $27 to accompany my wife in a lounge.
iflyjetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 8:19 pm
  #51  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,720
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
Your assumption is correct - the Gold status applied to my existing MR account.

$200 in airline fees is pretty easy assuming that it can apply toward upgrade fees, which can be $500 one-way. Some on Amex have gotten reimbursed for club memberships on airlines as well, depends how their computers define "fees".

Priority Plus lounge access is just a network of existing clubs that exist in various airports under different brands. A big part of their network is made up from United, Continental (both of which are going away now with the merger), US Airlines, and a bunch of other regional brands. There are two levels of service, one of which gets you in with a small co-pay, and the other is free of charge. I believe both Amex Platinum and this card give the "Select" free-of-charge ones. Its a nice benefit because no one can maintain status or memberships in enough airlines to get lounges in as many locations as they have agreements, but its also completely redundant to the same benefit on Amex Plat. Not sure what a fair retail value for that benefit would be, $100?

One possible upside would be since Priority Pass lounges charge for a guest, having TWO membership cards would mean a second person could benefit for free.

But overall I think the benefit is buying status, which is pretty much the most expensive thing you can buy these days. The biggest unique benefit of the Centurion card is purchased status on various airlines. With Amex Plat you get "purchased" status only on SPG to Silver (which is worthless). Even with the most expensive-fee Airline cards, you don't get to directly buy status, but you get ways to contribute toward status.

So the calculus is basically:

- Free Gold status: $200 or so if you wouldn't normally qualify
- Airport Lounges: $100-ish
- Airline Fees: $200
- Club-level upgrades from RC: $150 conservatively?
- 50k points to start with: $250? half-cent-per?

So overall I think the value is there, at least for the first year.
Thanks Innerloop for the analysis. One thing though, AMEX Plat yields SPG Gold status -- still nothing to write home about.
NJUPINTHEAIR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 8:22 pm
  #52  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,720
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
The comparable Priority Pass is $395/yr. However, the Priority Pass Select will no longer have access to United and Continental lounges after Sep 30, 2011. Also, it looks like you've got access to just about every American lounge. Since my wife primarily flies American, this would be a nice benefit.

So the pass is worth $395/yr minus the loss of United/Continental lounges. Call it $200 value.
I'm really thinking that this would be great if I can get my wife as primary cardholder and me as secondary - if I get lounge access, that'd be huge. Otherwise, I would have to pay $27 to accompany my wife in a lounge.

Good point on the secondary cardholder --wonder what the cost is? "Non-exclusive" Chase Visas are free.

AMEX Plat is also losing the Continental clubs as of 9/30 so it is a wash against that card, as well.

With a bit more information, this might shape up to be a worthwhile investment -- need actual practical results from those who have gotten the card and Chase's responses to such questions.

I assume that this card provides auto insurance for rentals. Is it primary or secondary?
NJUPINTHEAIR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 8:53 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 151
When applying for the card you are able to sign up an additional cardholder, and it specifically mentions there is NO CHARGE for the additional cardholder. I assume this means the additional will get a Priority Pass card his/herself as well.
swf83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 9:08 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by swf83 View Post
When applying for the card you are able to sign up an additional cardholder, and it specifically mentions there is NO CHARGE for the additional cardholder. I assume this means the additional will get a Priority Pass card his/herself as well.
Good question. I also would like to know if this is true.
TAHKUCT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 10:11 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
Why would opening a RC credit card account switch your MR account to a RCR account, particularly if you already have a MR credit card? It seem to me these are independent events.
We will have to wait and see what people report, I wish Marriott reps were more proactive in explaining how they intend to handle this. It sounds counter-intuitive to have Ritz Carlton Rewards card without Ritz Carlton Rewards account.

As far as the airline fee reimbursements go upgrade fees are unlikely to be eligible as they are related to "ticket" purchase. Note that this benefit is per calendar year, so one can request 200$ till the end of 2011 and 200$ till the anniversary annual fee is due, thus making the card pay for itself on this one benefit.

$200 Annual Airline Incidentals Credit:

To request a statement credit to apply to qualifying airline incidental net purchase(s) made with your Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, you must contact J.P.Morgan Priority Services at the number on the back of your Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card within 4 billing cycles of the purchase date. This offer applies only to non-ticket purchases made with merchants that classify their merchant location for Visa in the airline category. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made in a particular category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for statement credits. Statement credit will post to your account within 5-7 business days and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. Qualifying purchases made by authorized users on your account are eligible for statement credits; however, only the obligor on the account, not authorized users, may request statement credits. Maximum statement credit accumulation for this offer is $200 per calendar year.
LilZeppelin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 11, 9:14 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,356
With a $400+ annual fee I am pretty sure it will come with the bonus.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Some further terms clarify that the upgrade to the Ritz clubs 3 times a year must be on paid stays, not award stays:



In additon, it is somewhat unclear whether one will get the 50,000 point bonus because it is limited to new cardholders/accounts.



But is that a Chase account, a Marriott Rewards account or either? If one received a bonus from a MR credit card, is one eligible for the Ritz bonus??
welookgood.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 11, 9:19 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 311
I think a case could be made that upgrade fees are not ticket purchases. On United, for example, they have a whole raft of "Options" that you can add to your existing reservation after the ticket is purchased, from "Premiere Access" for check-in lines, "Award Accelerator" for extra miles, and "Premiere Seating" aka upgrades. In terms of how they are presented and managed, there is no difference between these, other than the price tag.

I think based on the langauge above, they could exercise the "reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify" which gives them lattitude to do pretty much anything.

I WOULD agree that an instant buy-up offered while buying the ticket would be a tougher sell.
Innerloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 11, 10:10 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by Innerloop View Post
I think a case could be made that upgrade fees are not ticket purchases.
You would have to make a case with Chase, and post here the results. A quick call to Chase could also clarify what is covered and what is not. I would be interested to know if award cancellation fees for example is a covered category.
LilZeppelin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 11, 1:28 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 311
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin View Post
You would have to make a case with Chase, and post here the results. A quick call to Chase could also clarify what is covered and what is not. I would be interested to know if award cancellation fees for example is a covered category.
For what its worth, on the Amex folks have reported reimbursement for upgrade fees, companion ticket fees, even gift certificate purchases. So at least Amex is pretty permissive on these.
Innerloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 11, 2:59 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 311
Quick update - received the card and materials today via UPS. They went all out on the presentation of it, seems on par with what I have heard about Centurion. Definitely above the packaging of Amex platinum.

As a nice bonus, the card appears to be made of some type of metal, not plastic. Don't have Cent. Card, but seems similar to descriptions of that (heavier, flat on back). It looks very nice. Amusingly, one thing that makes it stand out the most is that the account number is in quite small and only slightly raised digits. Probably would not work at all in this old style machines that take a carbon impression of the card, but assuming not many of those exist.

Must be some sort of metal as edge has a metallic machined look to it.

Came with more complete terms & conditions, happy to answer questions.
Innerloop is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread