FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ritz Carlton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton-760/)
-   -   Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz-carlton/1224449-ritz-carlton-credit-card-chase.html)

thepointsguy Jun 9, 2011 10:45 am

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

I didn't see another thread on this subject, so mods feel free to merge.

Update: details http://theritzcarltonrewardscard.com/
GET CLOSER TO EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCES WITH EVERY PURCHASE

Receive 50,000 Ritz-Carlton Rewards points as a Founding Member after you use your card for the first time* — enough for a complimentary night's stay at your choice of over 60 Tier 1-3 locations

Earn 5 Ritz-Carlton Rewards points per $1 spent at The Ritz-Carlton*

Earn 2 Ritz-Carlton Rewards points per $1 spent on qualifying airfare, car rentals and dining*

Earn 1 Ritz-Carlton Rewards point per $1 spent on all other card purchases*
RECEIVE SPECIAL HOTEL PRIVILEGES WHEN YOU STAY

An Extra Hotel Experience — With each two-night stay or longer at The Ritz-Carlton, celebrate with a $100 Hotel Credit to be used toward your choice of dining, spa or other hotel recreational activities*

Upgrade to The Ritz-Carlton ClubŪ Level three times annually on stays of up to seven nights, subject to availability at time of reservation*

Automatic Gold Elite status in The Ritz-Carlton Rewards your first year*
ENJOY AN UNPRECEDENTED SUITE OF TRAVEL ADVANTAGES

Complimentary airport lounge access with Priority PassTM Select*

$200 annual credit for airline incidentals billed to your card*

No foreign transaction fees†

Jake Gittes Jun 9, 2011 11:27 am

Seems like an interesting draw. Still think the Chase Sapphire Preferred card would be the better bet, but I'd be interested to see what others think of this new card.

I'm still wondering if Chase is getting ready to introduce a new tier of Sapphire card to compete with AmEx Platinum. I like being able to transfer my miles to different programs using their Universal Rewards system rather than only earning points for Ritz-Carlton on this new card.

Also curious to see that they went with Priority Pass Select as opposed to regular Priority Pass. Seems like regular PP would have been a good selling point to lure away AmEx Plat members who are losing access to CO/UA lounges.

ohmark Jun 9, 2011 12:42 pm

$395 annual fee

Wonder how, or if, this works in conjunction with a Marriott Rewards member. Thought you could only belong to one or the other. So, would you have to convert your MR account to RCR in order to receive the benefits of the card (such as the 50,000 RCR bonus points)? The guaranteed upgrade (at booking, upon availability) to club level is a significant perk.

askias Jun 9, 2011 1:29 pm

I just got off the phone with a MR rep and she told me that you could have one account number under which you earned both MR and RCR points. I was trying to get her to issue me a separate # for RCR, but that was a no go.

ohmark Jun 9, 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by askias (Post 16532807)
I just got off the phone with a MR rep and she told me that you could have one account number under which you earned both MR and RCR points. I was trying to get her to issue me a separate # for RCR, but that was a no go.

And, I assume, this account needs to be either MR or RCR?

jmw2323 Jun 9, 2011 2:55 pm

$395 annual fee

ohmark Jun 9, 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 16533360)
$395 annual fee

See post no. 3 above.

VA1379 Jun 9, 2011 3:28 pm

It seems like Chase is positioning this credit card to compete with Amex Platinum directly, based on the membership fee amount and the $200 annual reimbursement for spending on an airline (I assume airline club fees would count towards this reimbursement).

The interesting benefit for us on FT is that you can gain gold status in Ritz Carlton by spending $10,000/year on this credit card. This is much less than the $20,000/year required for gold on the Hilton Amex (although that credit card has no annual fee). The $100 credit for 2+ night stays cannot be combined with any other promotional package or discount, so it is only good if there is nothing better than the regular room rate.

ktjan Jun 9, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm a MR member. Would I get the Marriott Purchase bonus points if I use this card for a stay at a Marriott hotel just like if I use the Marriott Rewards credit card?

kinglobjaw Jun 9, 2011 6:30 pm

I accidentally switched to RitzCarlton rewards earlier when it launched this year. Is there any way I can switch back to Marriott Rewards? Once I get back to Marriott Rewards, I can still apply for this card, correct?

-Kinglobjaw

jmw2323 Jun 9, 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark (Post 16533500)
See post no. 3 above.

sorry, i never read titles

pinniped Jun 9, 2011 9:25 pm

Are the benefits applicable on award stays? The fine print does not exclude them. One week of Club access could be worth $195 by itself...

(I'm guessing the $100 folio credit requires a paid stay...)

Ditto the question of whether it's still 5 pts/$ at all Marriott brands.

bsdstone Jun 10, 2011 6:07 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 16535070)
Are the benefits applicable on award stays? The fine print does not exclude them. One week of Club access could be worth $195 by itself...

(I'm guessing the $100 folio credit requires a paid stay...)

Ditto the question of whether it's still 5 pts/$ at all Marriott brands.

Great questions. If you can use the club level upgrades on award stays and get Marriott points, I might be tempted to switch my Marriott card to a Ritz card and move my loyalty from Hilton (as my tertiary) to Marriott...hope to get answers soon!

dw Jun 10, 2011 9:29 am

For the time being I'm going to bet no on the 5X points for stays at Marriott properties-- the reason being that Ritz Carlton has not been added to the list of chains that earn 5X points on the Chase Marriott Premier Visa.

cardtracker Jun 10, 2011 6:48 pm

I"m interested in hearing more about the concierge program and its service. Supposedly, the program is the same one that JP Morgan offers to their private banking customers.

I found it interesting that the Marriott card carries the Chase logo, however, the Ritz card carries a JP Morgan reference and any mention of Chase is somewhat "hidden." I guess Chase is too low class a for the Ritz brand...lol.